The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Serious 1" sensor cameras

dhsimmonds

I have been forced to dispose of my interchangeable lens cameras of all sensor sizes following serious spinal surgery. I just am no longer able to carry the weight of even a 4/3rds sensor camera.

However I have joined the ranks of so called bridge camera users and I am currently waiting for the Sony RX10 Mk 4 to be delivered, I have used the Mk 3 and I enjoy it immensely. However, the lack of forum space given to 1" sensor size cameras is pitiful as the small sensor forums share with pocket cameras and smart phones and it is rare to see a post at all, let alone from serious photographers with greatest respect to compact camera users.

Cameras such as the RX10 series are just as capable of producing very fine images as a good DSLR but there are very few forums other than specific subject forums such as birding where users can really join in comparing notes.

Does anyone else find this too, or am I alone?

Makten

I just am no longer able to carry the weight of even a 4/3rds sensor camera.
Sorry, I don't get it. The RX10 is over 1 kilo, while there are MFT cameras weighing only ~250 grams. Without a lens of course, but there are plenty of small and very lightweight lenses for MFT.
I do get the point with a "bridge" camera because of the very large range of angle of view, but not as a lightweight camera.

I use an RX100 III for occasions when I don't want to carry a pack. The sensor is great, but you can definitely see that the IQ is lacking compared to a camera with larger sensor.

V

Vivek

Dave, Sorry to hear about your current condition.

I use a very serious camera in a RX1R II. It is nowhere near the weight of the RX10IV with its tiny sensor. I would highly recommend that.

dhsimmonds

Yes I am aware of all these options. I should have mentioned that my prime interest is in wildlife photography and I find that the latest Sony RX10 Mks 3 and 4 are both very capable tools for these subjects with their excellent Zeiss 24-600 lens. With my DSLR,s and Olympus compact system cameras, I needed to take a bunch of very heavy long focal length lenses with me. Also on expensive trips I would have two bodies around my neck, one with a very long FL lens and the other with a wider lens as the critters have a habit of suddenly moving much closer with no time to change lens!

The all in one camera now gives me the freedom to just have one camera and I can quickly zoom in to the closer distance should the creature move closer. The latest Mk 4 is blisteringly quick.

Regarding the image quality, so much depends on what is required from the final product. I can produce an acceptable A3 size print from this size but most of my work is seen digitally these days so again quite OK.

As a matter of interest, my Avatar to this message was taken on a very early Panasonic Lumix FZ 20 bridge camera with a really tiny sensor. It is an air to air shot and the full image has been shown as both an A3 print and digital image in Salons around the world. Admittedly the prints were up sized using the best upsizing interpolation software of it's day (not PS!) Oh, the FZ 20 was just a 4Mpx sensor!

ggibson

I agree, I've found the 1" sensor RX100 camera quality to be superb. I do dive photography and changed my kit from an older 12MP m4/3 to the RX100ii a few years back. My 20MP RX100ii setup gives me even better images and I love having it as a pocket alternative to my FE kit above water too. Certainly a larger sensor has some advantages, but the 1" sensor hits an excellent sweet spot for compact quality.

dhsimmonds

I now have my RX10iv and in the process of charging batteries and setting up the Sony menu.

I will report ASAP , hopefully with an image or two.

Tim

Yes I am aware of all these options. I should have mentioned that my prime interest is in wildlife photography and I find that the latest Sony RX10 Mks 3 and 4 are both very capable tools for these subjects with their excellent Zeiss 24-600 lens. With my DSLR,s and Olympus compact system cameras, I needed to take a bunch of very heavy long focal length lenses with me. Also on expensive trips I would have two bodies around my neck, one with a very long FL lens and the other with a wider lens as the critters have a habit of suddenly moving much closer with no time to change lens!
Having read your explanation here this now makes sense. I just sold a RX100 M4 as I found the controls just too small, I constantly stuffed up the settings at the wrong time hitting buttons I didnt mean to. As I mostly used it on the wide end I just went back to my trusty GR. That said I did find the 1" sensor IQ to be more than acceptable. Tonally it seems to have a very good DR, at least to my eyes. Its very odd as when you pixel peep it seems like it may be unacceptable but in prints the softness seems to vanish. I can see the RX10 is a godsend for you and I am glad you have a solution.

Cheers.