The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

It's that time of the year again

MrSmith

When pixel shift showed up in the E-M5II I was intrigued, and when shooting test charts it is impressive. But what is the practical advantage of using pixel shift vs. using a longer focal length and stitching multiple shots? Maybe there are certain niche uses for pixel shift that I'm not thinking about where stitching is less practical.
For my still-life work it's ideal, I have used the old hassleblad multi-shot backs and the difference was very apparent in 4-shot and would expect to see sharper images, better highlight control and colour fidelity around speculars and no colour moire.
I will not be doing big watch/jewellery stacks with it though! Too much processing/post work for that.

Knorp

However, I am looking forward to the FE 400/2.8 GM (OSS?). :thumbs:
Yup, but we can looking forward to it for quite some time: in fact till Summer 2018.
Which is just as well, so you've got plenty of time to grow back your kidney ... :LOL:

k-hawinkler

Yup, but we can looking forward to it for quite some time: in fact till Summer 2018.
Which is just as well, so you've got plenty of time to grow back your kidney ... :LOL:
No No Bart. I have my kidneys! Thank God.
I am already working on increasing my upper arm strength though! :thumbs: :grin:

waynelake

Is the Star Eater gone?
Yes, its gone. If you go to bhphotovideo dot com & click on Sony A7RIII & in the Q&A that question is answered.

Heres the quoted answer.
"There has been updates for the cameras that have experienced this issue."

V

Vivek

There has been NO updates for the cameras that had the star eater. In fact, it was one of the updates that brought the star eater in into the A7rII!

So, the star eater is not gone. :(

Yes, its gone. If you go to bhphotovideo dot com & click on Sony A7RIII & in the Q&A that question is answered.

Heres the quoted answer.
"There has been updates for the cameras that have experienced this issue."

Pradeep

I went and ordered one :grin:

For me it is not about features that are still missing or how it could be better. It is already better than what I own and that is enough. I've long waited for a better AF and a faster drive and now I have both. Add to that the IS, the dual slots, pixel shift which are all icing on an already good cake.

Call me crazy, but on my trips I always take the A7RII with a mid-range zoom (24-70 type) for the wider, habitat type shots of the animals and have missed the fast AF and fast frame rates. Of course I also have the long zooms (70-200 and the 100-400) mounted on the A9 bodies. In an evolving situation, the animals could come very close to you and then you have too much lens with the longer zooms. Until now I found I was missing a lot of the shots due to poor (relatively) AF of the MkII body and also, the continuous shooting was not available in silent shutter mode.

Even with the longer zooms on the A9 I find myself cropping into the image quite a bit. For BIF that leaves very little to play with. Now I can pair the 100-400GM with the A7RIII and still get a) spot on AF during flight, b)fast frame rates for a variety of shots and c) enough resolution to be able to crop 50% of the image and still get a decent sized print. That eliminates the need for longer tele lenses - until the new, ultralight 600 f4 comes along :D

At the end of the day, if a camera can take the images in the situations I am in and deliver the image quality, it is all I want. Each new version brings a few more refinements. Whether those are enough to make one upgrade depends on factors other than the purely technical. For me, it is enough. YMMV.

The Ute

For a Landscape shooter I see no particular advantage to upgrading to the A7rIII.
In fact the A7RII is becoming a screaming bargain.

k-hawinkler

€3495/- shipped is the lowest i found. Still can not afford it.
Too bad Vivek, may be It will go lower. Good luck.
IMHO for me it’s worth every penny I spent.
It got ride of the frustrations I had with action shots from mirrorless cameras. :shocked:

V

Vivek

No doubt, K-H. I have something else brewing, so, this has to wait for a while. :)

Too bad Vivek, may be It will go lower. Good luck.
IMHO for me it’s worth every penny I spent.
It got ride of the frustrations I had with action shots from mirrorless cameras. :shocked:

Pradeep

Here is one reason why I welcome the A7RIII. Another of my images from the Pelican shoot on my trip to Namibia in the summer. I had too much of a zoom lens on both the A9 bodies and when the birds came closer to our boat, had to switch to the A7R2 with the wide-zoom. Problem was that it wouldn't focus as fast and often I missed the action as the pelicans did something interesting. This was one of the few photos with an interesting frame, of the pelicans diving at fish, in a feeding frenzy. Had to crop this image almost 40% into the frame, but still with enough resolution. With the A7RIII, I would hope that I can get as many keepers as I did with the A9.

Sony A7R2, 24-70GM at 44mm, f5.6, 1/1250, ISO 400

DougDolde

Has anyone given up a medium format digital kit for the Sony? Even the Mk II ?

Its certainly a lot lighter and has more capabilities but then you lose megapixels unless you are using an old back