The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

It's that time of the year again

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I was going to say something about how really, really bad this new camera probably is. It's a Sony after all. Unfortunately, I can't think of anything. Either I'm getting older, losing my edge or Sony has made a good camera ;)

V

Vivek

Many of the Sony problems related to the output are still there. Only, now it is available in a bigger body. ;)

I was going to say something about how really, really bad this new camera probably is. It's a Sony after all. Unfortunately, I can't think of anything. Either I'm getting older, losing my edge or Sony has made a good camera ;)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Many of the Sony problems related to the output are still there. Only, now it is available in a bigger body. ;)
Ergonomically, it's also still a Sony, but they seem to have made it a much more usable camera. One can always claim, as I have been known to do, that they should have addressed these issues from get go, but now at least they show a willingness to improve it. To me it also makes sense that they have kept the sensor from the previous model but increased processing capacity.

Knorp

Now you disappoint me, Jørgen !
I expected a long and comprehensive rant from you.
Perhaps with age you're finally getting 'mellow' ... :grin:

:chug:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Ergonomically, it's also still a Sony, but they seem to have made it a much more usable camera. One can always claim, as I have been known to do, that they should have addressed these issues from get go, but now at least they show a willingness to improve it. To me it also makes sense that they have kept the sensor from the previous model but increased processing capacity.
It is only the same resolution as the previous model, otherwise it has an all new and improved AF system integrated. But I applaud that they did not increase resolution.

My complaint - I would have liked to see the A9 body around this camera - but that is scheduled obviously of a later model.

iiiNelson

It is only the same resolution as the previous model, otherwise it has an all new and improved AF system integrated. But I applaud that they did not increase resolution.

My complaint - I would have liked to see the A9 body around this camera - but that is scheduled obviously of a later model.
Well it is essentially an A7RII in an A9 body without the Ethernet port, the drive mode dials, and fewer AF points and less sensor coverage by the AF points. That’s about the only disappointment to me with for this camera. The A7RII AF covered about the same amount of the sensor. I was hoping that we’d get closer to 75-85%+ of sensor coverage for AF points. I’m fine with staying at 42mp and having the sensor optimized to provide increased DR, the new shutter, the increased speed, the new EVF, the A9 physical controls, and the sensor shift is fine too though I never cared much about that tech this far. The new battery is fine too I guess but I have about 14 old style batteries that I rotate through.

Most of the new features are nice to have (especially if you skipped the A7RII) but not necessarily needed for me personally. I’m patiently awaiting for the A7SIII announcement (or a product merging of the S line with the base model). I hope to see the pixel count increase to over 16mp, maybe 6k recording, Full frame 6k->4k, and see PDAF finally added to this line of cameras. If so it could be the all around camera I’ve hoped for.

Oh and one of the biggest announcements to me was the 24-105/4 G announcement in that Sony FINALLY has an all around “walkabout” native zoom lens.

iiiNelson

I guess the most important takeaway from today is that Sony is firmly committed to leading the mirrorless market and we are seeing them enter the maturation stage of their camera development cycles where releases between model generations will shift to that 18-30 month cycle perhaps (unless technological breakthroughs prompt “groundbreaking” release) and the bulk of developmental funds will continue to be spent in the lens/sensor development realm. For the same reason I believe that they are quietly developing potential medium format systems just in case that Fuji and Hasselblad are successful... but I still believe it would make the most sense to partner with Phase One on that front to go FF medium format.

I have no doubt they’re holding the higher end A9 models close hold for now until Canon and Nikon announce their mirrorless cameras... just like I don’t think it was a random accident that this A7RIII announcement came right on the heels of the D850 and the DXO test score results.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I guess the most important takeaway from today is that Sony is firmly committed to leading the mirrorless market and we are seeing them enter the maturation stage of their camera development cycles where releases between model generations will shift to that 18-30 month cycle perhaps (unless technological breakthroughs prompt “groundbreaking” release) and the bulk of developmental funds will continue to be spent in the lens/sensor development realm. For the same reason I believe that they are quietly developing potential medium format systems just in case that Fuji and Hasselblad are successful... but I still believe it would make the most sense to partner with Phase One on that front to go FF medium format.

I have no doubt they’re holding the higher end A9 models close hold for now until Canon and Nikon announce their mirrorless cameras... just like I don’t think it was a random accident that this A7RIII announcement came right on the heels of the D850 and the DXO test score results.
I could not agree more and besides my heavy investment in m43 Pro system I am also waiting for Sony to lead the mirrorless FF game so that finally I can add FF again to my camera arsenal. Exciting times!

k-hawinkler

YAWN! Having an A7rII and A9 I most likely will skip this for an A9II and A9r. :grin:
However, I am looking forward to the FE 400/2.8 GM (OSS?). :thumbs:

ggibson

Pixel shift multishot ;)
When pixel shift showed up in the E-M5II I was intrigued, and when shooting test charts it is impressive. But what is the practical advantage of using pixel shift vs. using a longer focal length and stitching multiple shots? Maybe there are certain niche uses for pixel shift that I'm not thinking about where stitching is less practical.

iiiNelson

I could not agree more and besides my heavy investment in m43 Pro system I am also waiting for Sony to lead the mirrorless FF game so that finally I can add FF again to my camera arsenal. Exciting times!
I came from Micro 4/3 (and Leica) and I will say that as much as I loved owning rangefinder cameras for personal/professional stuff, mirrorless is infinitely more flexible in comparison which eventually pushed me to ditch my M system.

I personally feel that Sony is already leading the mirrorless pack due to innovation and responsiveness to customers in general... I don't think Fuji is too far behind them when a combination of X and G system is used in conjunction. Micro 4/3 is likely a better system than Sony of Fuji for the average person that just wants a camera to learn on and take pics of their family. They have the advantage of a large enough sensor and a wide range of great lens choices for various budgets. Sony (and Fuji for the purpose of this topic) isn't inexpensive but it is plausibly accessible for most people looking to get into a FF mirrorless system. My personal feeling is that Sony dabbling into the APS-C mirrorless market before fully committing with pro level systems sorta hurt them in perception with some prospective users. I don't believe enough people give/have given them a fair chance through extended use. One truth IMO is that Sony does some things differently (like all camera brands) and some of the negative press like the menu system, proprietary connections, ergonomics, body design, etc. are extremely subjective choices that become second nature with regular use IMO. This was never more apparent to me than when I first tried out a XT-1 and an EM-1mkI... I was completely lost in the menu system of those cameras while handling each for about 20-30 minutes. A lot of is is just knowing company terminology for the same things and the other part of it is that cameras are just more complex with multiple AF modes and video. That requires menu based options to navigate more smoothly. I think Sony, like some other companies, has solved this through adding custom menu screens where a user can specify common selections to add to a quick menu.

V

Vivek

When they refine it further, it might actually become useful. Perhaps in its 3rd iteration? :)

When pixel shift showed up in the E-M5II I was intrigued, and when shooting test charts it is impressive. But what is the practical advantage of using pixel shift vs. using a longer focal length and stitching multiple shots? Maybe there are certain niche uses for pixel shift that I'm not thinking about where stitching is less practical.

iiiNelson

YAWN! Having an A7rII and A9 I most likely will skip this for an A9II and A9r. :grin:
However, I am looking forward to the FE 400/2.8 GM (OSS?). :thumbs:
I'd say the one big caveat is if you're a portrait shooter that uses strobes. having access to 10fps on the mechanical shutter, a PC sync, and the 42 megapixels is a bonus.