The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Repair of a non-USA A7R2

soboyle

I have a Sony A7r2 which recently went to Antarctica with me. I'm getting the error message "This accessory is not supported by the device and cannot be used. Please verify the compatibility with the device".
What I'm reading about this error is that it is related to the hotshoe contacts corroding, and it's possible that sea spray might have been in contact with the hotshoe contacts.
Question: Does anyone know if Sony USA will repair a camera purchased in Europe? If not is there a 3rd party repair shop recommended?

Thank you,
Shaun

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I can't say about the non-USA, but my A7R2 from an authorized dealer needed repair but was out of warranty. I sent it to Royal Camera in Chicago. I had called Sony Support and they told me that they would not cover it. They suggested Royal or Precision.

A call to Sony Support will settle whether they will cover yours or not.

The mode dial had come loose on one side of mine, and was sitting at an angle. The repair cost me a little over $400. They put a whole new top on the camera and I would suspect that if your contacts are bad, you might need a whole new top, too. I was happy with the service, though it did take 6 weeks.