The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony RX1R Sample Request

robdeszan

Hello All,

I am thinking of replacing a returned Ricoh GRII (dust issues) with a small camera. The Sony Rx1r seems to fit the bill MP-wise and (just barely) size-wise, however, I am yet to be impressed by its files (lots of samples on flickr).

Would it be possible for someone to make some files available (at different apertures) ideally so I can assess its performance? Flickr is swamped with cheesy HDR stuff that gets in the way of appreciation for these files. Should that fail, I will probably try another (3rd) GRII.

Many thanks!

Pat

Pradeep

Hi Pat:

I've used the Rx1R2 in a variety of situations - travel, family, wildlife even.

What exactly are you looking for? I doubt I will have the time to set up a test for you, but I can post files here at various apertures. I doubt you want different shutter speeds. Probably looking for wide open, mid (5.6), small (f8-11) at various ISOs I suppose.

It is a darned good camera though very expensive.

robdeszan

Hi Pradeep,

Thanks for the offer. Don't worry about any controlled test. Some raw files at various apertures with hard and soft light would be ideal. Perhaps you can find something along these lines amongst your shots. People shots would be great. Even just casual snapshots.

Thank you!

JustTE=Pradeep;744085]Hi Pat:

I've used the Rx1R2 in a variety of situations - travel, family, wildlife even.

What exactly are you looking for? I doubt I will have the time to set up a test for you, but I can post files here at various apertures. I doubt you want different shutter speeds. Probably looking for wide open, mid (5.6), small (f8-11) at various ISOs I suppose.

It is a darned good camera though very expensive.[/QUOTE]

Pradeep

Here are a few from my recent trips and local events. All as they came out of the camera, NO adjustments at all, no lens corrections or rotations or exposure/sharpening changes. All I did was to convert from RAW to jpg and apply an sRGB profile for screen viewing. I know LR does a slight amount of default sharpening upon import, I've let that be as it is.

I have tried to select images that are at the same aperture but under different light, soft and harsh. These are not keepers, but just an illustration of the capabilities of the camera. As a rule, I do not post photos of people I know personally on a public forum, so no portraits here.

Of course these are all jpgs but they give . you an idea of what is possible with the camera. I've found that focus can sometimes be an issue if you are not careful, but if you take your time it gives you truly amazing results. It may be just a tad soft at f2, wide open but acceptable for me. At or maybe beyond f8 I think it loses some sharpness. Camera shake is another issue that I've had trouble with at lower speeds.

All in all an expensive but good camera to have for travel and other needs, esp street photography which I actually do not do.

At f2, 1/80 ISO 1250 Beijing, Jockey club at night

At f2, 1/250, ISO 1600 NYC skyline from moving boat

At f2.8, 1/2000, ISO 1/100 Rusty Car in harsh light of mid day

At f2.8, 1/1000, ISO 200 London through the window of a Jumbo flying in.

At f4, 1/125, ISO 1/100 Forbidden City under overcast skies

At f4, 1/2000, ISO100, Rusting car front wheel

At f5.6 1/1600, ISO 125 Windmill at noon

At f5.6, 1/1200, ISO 800 Sand dunes at sunrise

at f8, 1/500, ISO 400 Car in harsh light of noon

At f8, 1/1000 at ISO 250 Dunes in diffuse light of late afternoon

At f11, 1/320, ISO 250 Deadvlei in the afternoon

at f11, 1/500, ISO 400 Sand dunes in late afternoon (same image as above, but different aperture).

DwF

I sold my RX1R a while back but found I miss having this camera. I have a "demo-new" RX1R M2 on its way and am very excited! Here are some images that I liked and hope they help.....truly a magical camera!

Clematis f11

Creek is 1/4sec f13

Howe Sound BC f8

Locks on Bridge f 3/5

Jameson Sisters- Lennon Wall, Prague (at about 6AM!!!) f5.6

Cheers,
David