The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

a7R III to the a7R II a7s AF accuracy and speed with third party lenses...?

haring

I am just wondering how fast and accurately the a7R III, to the a7R II an the a7s focus with third part lenses like Canon and Nikon?
Are they usable for wedding? Is there anybody who used these mirrorless cameras for wedding with third party lenses...
Thanks so much!

V

Vivek

It looks like we are stuck here with A7rII, as evidenced by the dated stickies.

Check out fredmiranda. From the user reports there thusfar, yes, A7rIII is faster than II.

A7S has only CDAF to offer.

Pradeep

From very preliminary tests on my A7R3, the focus with native Sony lenses is definitely faster compared to the A7R2.

With adapted lenses, it is never going to be good enough for anything other than landscape photography where you have time. Even then, the AF does not work well in very windy conditions at 400mm. I used my A9 bodies extensively this summer while on a trip to Namibia, had the Sony 70-200 on one and the Canon 100-400 on the other through a Metabones V adapter. While the Canon did well on slow landscape shots, it was hit and miss with wildlife and things like landscape out of a moving car - situations where rapid acquisition of focus is critical.

For weddings, I believe there are now plenty of excellent choices from Sony, and IMHO the Sony 24-70GM is actually better and sharper than the Canon, as are the other wides. The 70-200 f2.8 is also just as good if not better than its rival from the Canon stable.

The 12-24 f4 from Sony is super sharp all the way from wide open without any lens curvature issues, at least with my copy. The new 24-105 is also said to be very sharp, have not received my copy yet.

I think if you've bought into the Sony camp, then there is no reason any more to go with third party lenses.

The only place where Sony is yet to make inroads is the Supertele category. There too, rumors are that the 400 2.8 is going to be released very soon.

pegelli

An anecdotal story (with good news for you) on Dyxum

Some interesting notes comparing the riii to the rii as my buddy has the riii and I have the rii. EyeAF was as good on the riii with canon and Nikon adapted glass as it was with the rii with native glass. The riii with native glass was seriously sticky. Probably twice as good as the rii. Overall af was stellar with the riii. Honestly this is a great upgrade over the rii