The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CZ 135 focus ring stiffness

picman

Just received my CZ 135. I've been taking some test pictures with it and optically it seems to be OK (well more than OK of course :)). However, the focusring is so stiff. Also it is entirely in metal rather than having a rubber grip. Because of the stiffness, manually turning it just does not go in a smooth continuous movement. I will hardly ever be focussing manually, but still, is all this normal?

Thanks, cheers, Bob.

Eoin

It doesn't sound right, however, the focus ring is a hard metal, not rubber like the ZA zooms.

When you say you can't turn the focus ring, I presume you are dis-engaging the AF via the mf button on the camera. These ZA primes don't have direct manual focus unless you set it up in the menu, main camera menu, page 3 AF-A Setup = DMF as opposed to AF-A. Then what happens is the camera autofocuses as normal and when focus is achieved it enables or disengages the af drive allowing you to manually focus via the focus ring.

I think you can also program the focus hold button to do the same thing. The other method I use to manually focus is af as normal then press and hold the AF/MF button which enables the focus ring and adjust as necessary then keeping the button held press the shutter.
The menu setting for this is, cog wheel page 1, AF/MF button = AF/MF Control.

edwardkaraa

It doesn't sound right, however, the focus ring is a hard metal, not rubber like the ZA zooms.

When you say you can't turn the focus ring, I presume you are dis-engaging the AF via the mf button on the camera. These ZA primes don't have direct manual focus unless you set it up in the menu, main camera menu, page 3 AF-A Setup = DMF as opposed to AF-A. Then what happens is the camera autofocuses as normal and when focus is achieved it enables or disengages the af drive allowing you to manually focus via the focus ring.

I think you can also program the focus hold button to do the same thing. The other method I use to manually focus is af as normal then press and hold the AF/MF button which enables the focus ring and adjust as necessary then keeping the button held press the shutter.
The menu setting for this is, cog wheel page 1, AF/MF button = AF/MF Control.

I agree with what Eoin said, I have also done the same mistake in the beginning, and this could also damage the focusing mechanism. I like to select the AF/MF to be on toggle instead of hold. This way I can keep the camera on MF for as long as I wish.

picman

Thank you both so much for the replies. I was simply not doing it right as I am used to the 16-35 and 24-70, but now I realize this is totally different. I usually read manuals very thoroughly but here I didn't think of reading the little leaflet that accompanies the lens. Here is what I found

Eoin:
Simply putting the camera menu item AF-A setup to DMF did not work at first, but I had the rotary switch on the front of the camera still on S. Once I put it on A the ring worked smoothly after focussing as you said.

Engaging the af/mf switch on the back of the camera works: and then the ring turns very smoothly.

edwardkaraa:
Yes I too like to put the switch on toggle rather than hold. It avoids having to continually push that little button .. but you must not forget to switch back ;)

Putting the rotary switch on the front of the camera to MF also works and the ring becomes smooth to turn.

Gee, am I glad I asked :eek:

Cheers, Bob.

Last edited:

Eoin

Glad you got it sorted, I was not aware that the DMF didn't work on the S setting, I guess we learn something new every day. :D