The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

tell me about the FE 100-400 GM

doug

I've noticed that the FE 100-400 GM has decent MTF and is smaller and weighs less than my beloved Leica 280mm f/4 APO and I started thinking, which could be a bad thing for my piggy bank. Any user experience? I especially welcome comparisons with the 280 APO, experience with the 1.4x and 2x Sony extenders, experience with the a7rII, and sample images. If the optical stabilization is off, is the sensor stabilization still active? Any problems?

k-hawinkler

Juniper Titmouse

Sony ILCE-9 + FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS + 2X Teleconverter
Handheld, IS ON.

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

I've noticed that the FE 100-400 GM has decent MTF and is smaller and weighs less than my beloved Leica 280mm f/4 APO and I started thinking, which could be a bad thing for my piggy bank. Any user experience? I especially welcome comparisons with the 280 APO, experience with the 1.4x and 2x Sony extenders, experience with the a7rII, and sample images. If the optical stabilization is off, is the sensor stabilization still active? Any problems?
Hi Doug, how do you want to use that Sony gear? With MF or AF?
With MF the APO-R 280/4 and APO Extenders are probably your better choice.
With AF the Sony A9, FE 100-400/4.5-5.6 GM OSS, 1.4x, 2x TCs are my choice.

For me using this lens with the A7r.2 was an exercise in frustration.
The basic operation of the A7r.2 for Humminbirds in Flight was too slooow.
For your style of photography that’s probably not an issue.

The jury on the A7r.3 AF is still out. It’s certainly a better camera than the A7r.2.

The IS switch on the lens controls image stabilization, including IBIS.
So the combined IS is either ON or OFF.
With that lens one cannot have just IBIS.

doug

+1

Get the A9 as well.
When using the 280 APO and IBIS (or the Leica 90-280 APO SL) 24MP is insufficient to avoid moire and aliasing in feather detail. 42MP of the a7rII is much better, I'll have my eye on the a7rIII.

Hi Doug, how do you want to use that Sony gear? With MF or AF?
With MF the APO-R 280/4 and APO Extenders are probably your better choice.
With AF the Sony A9, FE 100-400/4.5-5.6 GM OSS, 1.4x, 2x TCs are my choice.

For me using this lens with the A7r.2 was an exercise in frustration.
The basic operation of the A7r.2 for Humminbirds in Flight was too slooow.
For your style of photography that’s probably not an issue.

The jury on the A7r.3 AF is still out. It’s certainly a better camera than the A7r.2.

The IS switch on the lens controls image stabilization, including IBIS.
So the combined IS is either ON or OFF.
With that lens one cannot have just IBIS.
Thanks K-H! The optical stabilization might be a problem, it's something I fought with on the Leica SL. I'd probably use AF with the 100-400.

k-hawinkler

When using the 280 APO and IBIS (or the Leica 90-280 APO SL) 24MP is insufficient to avoid moire and aliasing in feather detail. 42MP of the a7rII is much better, I'll have my eye on the a7rIII.

Thanks K-H! The optical stabilization might be a problem, it's something I fought with on the Leica SL. I'd probably use AF with the 100-400.
Thanks Doug. One more tidbit.
The A9 can handle PDAF up to f/11, so including the 2x Extender.
The A7r.2/3 only up to f/8, so including the 1.4x Extender.
Beyond that CDAF is being used.
Folks seem to observe some CDAF focusing oscillations.

doug

I'm having flashbacks to the VW television ads in the late 1960s when an automatic transmission became an option: "Volkswagen takes a giant leap into the present".

I just ordered my first-ever AF lens.

k-hawinkler

I'm having flashbacks to the VW television ads in the late 1960s when an automatic transmission became an option: "Volkswagen takes a giant leap into the present".

I just ordered my first-ever AF lens.
Congratulations Douglas. the FE 100-400? :shocked:

doug

Well Douglas, an optimal choice. :thumbs:
Which camera will you be using that gem on?
Any FE TCs in your future, 1.4x or even 2x?
The 2x TC is only worth it for the A9. :clap:
I'll be using it on the a7rII initially. A 1.4x TC is likely in the future, time and experience will tell. One big question is long-term, how does the tendonitis in my right thumb handle the increased workload?

ErikKaffehr

Hi Doug,

Much interested in your experience with the lens. Sorry to hear about the tendonitis thing!

Best regards
Erik

I'll be using it on the a7rII initially. A 1.4x TC is likely in the future, time and experience will tell. One big question is long-term, how does the tendonitis in my right thumb handle the increased workload?

doug

Lens arrived today, I'll spare everyone the unboxing video (I didn't make one).

Confession: AF is a new thing for me and getting the danged thing to work is going to take some time. The camera usually gets *something* in focus, the next trick is to get the *right* something in focus. I spent an hour or so in my backyard blind with some promising results.

Oak Titmouse
a7rII, FE 100-400mm GM

thrice

So far so good, but it's only been an hour of use. I'm still learning the differences between AF modes (and where to find them in the menu "system").
Haha Sony's menus are a clear breach of the Geneva Convention!