The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A900 battery grip

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Hate to contradict, but yes you can, and I do. The grip comes with a small chrome "buckle" that essentially duplicates the slot on the camera, giving you two slots - one for neck strap and one for the wrist strap.

The downside is that you can no longer simply unscrew the grip to take it off - you have to detach the wrist strap too.

Bill

Hate to contradict, but yes you can, and I do. The grip comes with a small chrome "buckle" that essentially duplicates the slot on the camera, giving you two slots - one for neck strap and one for the wrist strap.

The downside is that you can no longer simply unscrew the grip to take it off - you have to detach the wrist strap too.

Bill

Sounds good Bill. Thanks.

Braeside

I have ordered the hand strap and plan to use it with the neck strap also. I don't have the battery grip.

I have a question for those using the handstrap and the battery grip, I am trying to figure out how you would use such a system as it would seem you would have to slip your right hand out of the handgrip when you want to use the camera in portrait format? - Isn't that a bit of a hindrance?

douglasf13

I've only recently ordered the A900 grip (it's on the way,) but I've been using the A700+grip+handstrap for over a year. Essentially, I would say that your question really depends on shooting style. Personally, I only use the portrait grip side for dedicated portrait sessions, where I'm in vertical position a majority of the time. When I'm just out and about shooting, I keep my hand in the handstrapped, landscape grip position, and I go elbow-in-the-air when I take a quick vertical shot (even with the grip attached.) That being said, I do sometimes switch, and it's not that bad.

The A900 grip differs in that has two attachments for the handstrap, so I will probably put that handstrap on the portrait side of the grip, and only attach the grip for portrait sessions, as I've come to really enjoy the size of the A900 sans grip when I'm out and about.

Braeside

Thanks for comprehensive answer Douglas.
All understood now.

I have always been an elbow in the air guy.

Cheers.

dhsimmonds

Like Douglas I tend to just ignore the handstrap when shooting in portrait mode, just relying on the neckstrap then for security. It's why I like to use both neck and handstraps....definitely a belt and braces guy!

douglasf13

I just received my A900 vertical grip, and what a beast! This combo seems much heavier than my A700+grip, and I'm definitely only gonna use the grip for portrait sessions...even though it looks pretty cool :D I attached my grip strap to the bottom of the grip for use in portrait mode, and it works well. I wish the A700 could do the same.

Braeside

Fine Douglas, do you mean that the grip strap can go across the vertical grip, so that you can have your hand in it when in portrait mode shooting?

douglasf13

Yes. Sony added another strap attachment to the a900 grip, compared to the a700 grip. I'm just gonna leave the grip strap attached to the grip at all times, so I can throw on the grip quickly whenever I have a portrait session. Pretty cool.

douglasf13

Gotcha Douglas, that's great.
I should also mention that, for me, the A900 vertical grip doesn't add much comfort in the horizontal position. With the A700, I liked leaving the grip on, because it improved my handling in both horizontal and vertical positions. With the A900, the plain grip is good enough that I don't really need the add on grip to improve horizontal handling. Portrait mode only. :)