Site Sponsors

Thread: A900 battery grip

Post Thanks / Like

A900 battery grip

Just got this new toy today. This is a real nice piece of equipment. Made of metal and the ergonomics are excellent. It takes 2 batteries but uses only one at a time (the one with the lower charge), then switches automatically to the other one when the battery is completely exhausted. It shows the exact charge of both batteries. Very nice!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: A900 battery grip

Yep, agree, I use mine most of the time. Better than the average grip.
    Quentin
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I also have the vertical battery grip and it just is such a great improvement, the batteries seem to last forever with this set-up. I have also added the hand strap which makes for a bit more security. The battery grip also balances the heavy Zeiss lenses better imho.
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed that it's a great piece of kit. Unfortunately, while I can get away with using generic batteries in the camera body, they do not work in the battery grip. Somehow, the grip seems to have high standards than the camera itself.

-Josh

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I struck lucky as my local camera shop (part of a national chain) had overstocked on Sony 900 batteries and were selling them off at half price! So I now have three.
    Cheers, Dave

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What a funny lot you are

For me the great joy of the A900 is that it doesn't have that nasty lump sticking on it's bottom, after the d1x, D2x and D3 it's lovely not to have to deal with it.

Shooting portrait I hear you ask? Elbow wedged in side, it's even more stable than using a grip.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    What a funny lot you are

For me the great joy of the A900 is that it doesn't have that nasty lump sticking on it's bottom, after the d1x, D2x and D3 it's lovely not to have to deal with it.

Shooting portrait I hear you ask? Elbow wedged in side, it's even more stable than using a grip.
    The solution is to buy 2 A900s ... one with grip, one without

The camera is really well balanced with grip when using the 70-200/2.8 APO and 135/1.8. Very nice combo.

BTW, the hand strap works with or without the grip. It's the best one I've ever used, and I'm going to get one for my D3.

Post Thanks / Like

I kind of agree with all of you, I happen to like the grip when using bigger lenses such as the 135 or 70-400. However I tend not to use the grip with the other ZA Zooms. Best of both worlds, put it on when I need it, take it off when I don't. And what's surprising is the build quality and rigidity of whole package when it's on, much better than any Canon grip I used before.
    I'm using an old canon hand strap on mine, works quite well also. Figured I'd save €40 by not splashing out on the sony one I'm a real cheap skate, I know!.
    A7II, FE 35, 55 C/Y 18, 28, 85, 100, 28-85

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post

The camera is really well balanced with grip when using the 70-200/2.8 APO and 135/1.8. Very nice combo.

BTW, the hand strap works with or without the grip. It's the best one I've ever used, and I'm going to get one for my D3.
    2 A900s!!!! I have that £2000 stashed away to buy a couple of S2 bodies and some lenses in the summer

I really should try the hand strap - most of the time I wander about with the body in my hand and the neck strap dangling - I've had a couple of close calls with it getting caught on things (usually the dog). Don't think anyone is going to persuade me to get the grip though . . . however good it is (never ever used the vertical release on the D's).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
    I kind of agree with all of you, I happen to like the grip when using bigger lenses such as the 135 or 70-400. However I tend not to use the grip with the other ZA Zooms. Best of both worlds, put it on when I need it, take it off when I don't. And what's surprising is the build quality and rigidity of whole package when it's on, much better than any Canon grip I used before.
    I'm using an old canon hand strap on mine, works quite well also. Figured I'd save €40 by not splashing out on the sony one I'm a real cheap skate, I know!.
    LOL Eoin, you paid all this money on the expensive Zeiss lenses and the 70-400, and now you want to save 40 euros

Post Thanks / Like

That and a mule.

Anyway the grip is my next purchase ...And perhaps a sigma fifty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Quino Terceño View Post
    That and a mule.

Anyway the grip is my next purchase ...And perhaps a sigma fifty.
    Oooh, I can't wait to see some shots with the sigma 50 and the A900. I'm using the Sony 50, which isn't too bad, but I'd really like to see what that Sigma can do. I use 50mm a lot, and I'd love a ZA 50 to surface some day. I know that there are a lot of manual focus 50mm options, but for this length I'd like to stick with AF.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by edwardkaraa View Post
    LOL Eoin, you paid all this money on the expensive Zeiss lenses and the 70-400, and now you want to save 40 euros

Ah now come on, I'd hardly call these lenses expensive when compared to Leica M glass. Anyway broke now, have to make an effort to economise.
    A7II, FE 35, 55 C/Y 18, 28, 85, 100, 28-85

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    Oooh, I can't wait to see some shots with the sigma 50 and the A900. I'm using the Sony 50, which isn't too bad, but I'd really like to see what that Sigma can do. I use 50mm a lot, and I'd love a ZA 50 to surface some day. I know that there are a lot of manual focus 50mm options, but for this length I'd like to stick with AF.
    Douglas, actually I am not dying to be an early adopter, and would much rather see some of you taking the plunge before I do. I bought a sigma (a 24mm in nikon mount) 20 some years ago and said that would be the last one, it was an ok lens optically but a mechanical nightmare (a grinding one). however what I am seeing coming from the new 50 is very nice and I only will shoot it from ƒ1.4 or thereabouts beyond that I will use the 24-70 ZA.
    Besides, I am being wary because of focus errors reports (though Canon mostly) and not willing to start a long chain of returned lemons till I find an apple. And yes, it is not a Zeiss.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    Ill be interested also. I did recently have the Sigma 50/1.4 for my Nikon D3 and when I tested it against the New Nikon AFS 50/1.4G I sold the Sigma. Very nice lens, but the Nikon focused faster, was considerably smaller and lighter, and the in-focus specular highlights didn't halo as nearly as much as the Sigma did (think white type on a dark background). Currently I find the Sony 50/1.4 very similar to the Nikon 50/1.4G with a touch better supression of the halo effect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc

Do you have a link to the handgrip? I would also like to get one for my D3

Woody

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Marc

Do you have a link to the handgrip? I would also like to get one for my D3

Woody
    They are available at the Sony Store Woody. The price went up $10 since I bought mine. Still worth it IMO.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921644550853

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
    Ah now come on, I'd hardly call these lenses expensive when compared to Leica M glass. Anyway broke now, have to make an effort to economise.
    Yeah, now if Leica would only make a camera you can use them on

Actually the Zeiss and Sony G lenses aren't any more expensive than Nikon after Nikon's last price increase.

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a way to use the hand strap + a neck strap simultaneously? I hardly use the neck strap when shooting (I wrap it around my wrist), but I find useful to leave the camera hanging from my neck/shoulder when changing lenses, reaching to the bag ...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Quino Terceño View Post
    Is there a way to use the hand strap + a neck strap simultaneously? I hardly use the neck strap when shooting (I wrap it around my wrist), but I find useful to leave the camera hanging from my neck/shoulder when changing lenses, reaching to the bag ...
    No, not that I can see.

Post Thanks / Like

No, not that I can see.
    Thanks.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hate to contradict, but yes you can, and I do. The grip comes with a small chrome "buckle" that essentially duplicates the slot on the camera, giving you two slots - one for neck strap and one for the wrist strap.

The downside is that you can no longer simply unscrew the grip to take it off - you have to detach the wrist strap too.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    Hate to contradict, but yes you can, and I do. The grip comes with a small chrome "buckle" that essentially duplicates the slot on the camera, giving you two slots - one for neck strap and one for the wrist strap.

The downside is that you can no longer simply unscrew the grip to take it off - you have to detach the wrist strap too.

Bill

Sounds good Bill. Thanks.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually I think the buckle I refer to came with the wrist strap, not the grip.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    Actually I think the buckle I refer to came with the wrist strap, not the grip.
    Bill
    Yes Bill, the little metal buckle is part of the hand grip kit. I also use both the hand strap and the neck strap for similar reasons.
    Cheers, Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I have ordered the hand strap and plan to use it with the neck strap also. I don't have the battery grip.

I have a question for those using the handstrap and the battery grip, I am trying to figure out how you would use such a system as it would seem you would have to slip your right hand out of the handgrip when you want to use the camera in portrait format? - Isn't that a bit of a hindrance?
    David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've only recently ordered the A900 grip (it's on the way,) but I've been using the A700+grip+handstrap for over a year. Essentially, I would say that your question really depends on shooting style. Personally, I only use the portrait grip side for dedicated portrait sessions, where I'm in vertical position a majority of the time. When I'm just out and about shooting, I keep my hand in the handstrapped, landscape grip position, and I go elbow-in-the-air when I take a quick vertical shot (even with the grip attached.) That being said, I do sometimes switch, and it's not that bad.

The A900 grip differs in that has two attachments for the handstrap, so I will probably put that handstrap on the portrait side of the grip, and only attach the grip for portrait sessions, as I've come to really enjoy the size of the A900 sans grip when I'm out and about.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for comprehensive answer Douglas.
    All understood now.

I have always been an elbow in the air guy.

Cheers.
    David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Like Douglas I tend to just ignore the handstrap when shooting in portrait mode, just relying on the neckstrap then for security. It's why I like to use both neck and handstraps....definitely a belt and braces guy!
    Cheers, Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just received my A900 vertical grip, and what a beast! This combo seems much heavier than my A700+grip, and I'm definitely only gonna use the grip for portrait sessions...even though it looks pretty cool I attached my grip strap to the bottom of the grip for use in portrait mode, and it works well. I wish the A700 could do the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Fine Douglas, do you mean that the grip strap can go across the vertical grip, so that you can have your hand in it when in portrait mode shooting?
    David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes. Sony added another strap attachment to the a900 grip, compared to the a700 grip. I'm just gonna leave the grip strap attached to the grip at all times, so I can throw on the grip quickly whenever I have a portrait session. Pretty cool.

Post Thanks / Like

Gotcha Douglas, that's great.
    David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Braeside View Post
    Gotcha Douglas, that's great.
    I should also mention that, for me, the A900 vertical grip doesn't add much comfort in the horizontal position. With the A700, I liked leaving the grip on, because it improved my handling in both horizontal and vertical positions. With the A900, the plain grip is good enough that I don't really need the add on grip to improve horizontal handling. Portrait mode only.