The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

rainstorm tests

V

Vivek

I would NEVER risk such a thing with a Sony camera purchased with real money. They are not made for such conditions.

These are company supplied test cams they threw it under a shower.

Last edited:

algrove

The point here is that the Sony A7R3 fared the worst of the tested cameras. I bought mine for foul weather use and that is a disappointing article. My Rx1R2 does well in heavy rain if only for brief exposures to heavy rain until I can get it protected under an umbrella or rain cover.

Even with the battery compartment door on the bottom it leaked from above and the puddling around the EV knob is troublesome.

It was not in a shower, but with a garden hose aimed into the air over the cameras so as to simulate a rain storm. I have shot in real life rain storms and this test was nothing compared to that.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

I can assure you that the RX1R II will die if you expose it to water. Be careful even with light drizzles! :lecture:

iiiNelson

The real question is what quits first in a rainstorm? The photographer or the camera. In my case, probably me.

On a side note, I read the Fujifilm X-T2 (a camera I'm considering switching to for specific workflow reason though I'll give up something in IQ without adding a Fujifilm G camera alongside it no doubt) tropical storm test. While impressive that the camera survived that testing, as a person who's lived through many hurricanes, it's an incredibly stupid test to conduct as it selfishly and needlessly puts the photographer's life in danger along with potentially putting the lives of first responders in danger in the event that they'd have to rescue someone. Just my opinion but hopefully this person won't continue to try to conduct these sorts of tests.

V

Vivek

It is quite obvious that any of the A7 cams without the flash shoe cover will die when exposed to water.

Humans, on the other hand, are not made of sugar and can go on without getting short circuited/ electrocuted.

iiiNelson

It is quite obvious that any of the A7 cams without the flash shoe cover will die when exposed to water.

Humans, on the other hand, are not made of sugar and can go on without getting short circuited/ electrocuted.
True but the point was that most people aren’t standing in a rainstorm when they don’t have to and often use camera/lens covers even it the camera is weather resistant.