The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7 R III - My first ever Sony camera - Tilting options doubts...

Fotofont

Hi! I'm new to the forum and new to the Sony comunity.

Just bought this camera a couple weeks ago. First thoughts are very positive so far. I come from a Hasselblad H3D-22mp with a full set of lenses and the TSE 1.5 that I use a lot. I shoot product mainly and the HC 80mm attached to the tilt shift adapter is used for about 50% of all my photos. It's 10years old but works well in most cases but I get untreateable moiré in too many situations. Thats the main reason I needed a new camera. Not the pixel count since 22mp is still enough for 99% of the assignments I recieve.

So here I am with the Sony and some Canon and Pentax 645 lenses that I can adapt. They work just fine but I need the capability of tilting so I can create images "the same way" I did with the Hasselblad.
My doubt right now, is about which way to take: Go with one of the new Ts-e canon just released (probably the 90mm) or go the Cambo Actus Way. Of Course the 90mm is just one lens and the Actus is a platform that could grow being able to hold many lenses.

I'm used to a 17mm ts-e for architectural works and the lens is just great and a bliss to set up. Coupled with the 1.4 converter version III gives a 24mm field of view without any visible loss in sharpness.

So for table top photography, what would be your choice?

Thanks in advance!

Marçal Font

archivue

while i'm a bit fan of technical camera ( i have an arca swiss RM3d ), and while i found that the actus is a nice concept... if i was in your shoes, i will rent a new 90 ts-e II first... so much quicker... and when you will shoot architecture, you will have it in the bag, for details... bringing an Actus, is not the same story...

Last edited:

Fotofont

while i'm a bit fan of technical camera ( i have an arca swiss RM3d ), and while i found that the actus is a nice concept... if i was in your shoes, i will rent a new 90 ts-e II first... so much quicker... and when you will shoot architecture, you will have it in the bag, for details... bringing an Actus, is not the same story...
Thanks for your thoughts on this! I'm also "tilting" myself to the easier Ts-e from Canon. Just today I spoke to a friend that has the old version and he is very happy with it. He advised me on maybe getting the 135mm. But I'm thinking it's a bit too long... Anyway one or the other will be what I end up getting.

archivue

The old 90 TS-E is quite good, but with the new one... has been optimised for close-up photography, with a maximum reproduction ratio of 0.5 (half life size)... but good for landscape as well... enhanced durability, weather sealing, dustproofing and fluorine coating... and tilt and shift are independent... same axe or not...

Thanks for your thoughts on this! I'm also "tilting" myself to the easier Ts-e from Canon. Just today I spoke to a friend that has the old version and he is very happy with it. He advised me on maybe getting the 135mm. But I'm thinking it's a bit too long... Anyway one or the other will be what I end up getting.

MrSmith

I have the 24 and 90 t-se lenses, I also have an actus with 60/80/120 digitars that I picked up for peanuts before everyone starting buying them up.
While the old canon 90 is very good (better than the 100mm macro) and my go-to lens for still life pre actus. I haven't used it in ages as the digitar lenses are a step above the canons and have large image circles.
So me personally I would go down the actus route and pick good lenses because I like the ease of use and the ability to stitch parallax free.
Also if you focus stack it's so much easier with the actus and the large focus knob, I do it by hand and get perfect steps for stacking shots of watches.

But the new canon lenses are probably very good, the old 45 was terrible, re using the 1.4 extender, I wasn't happy with the results on the 24tse II to get a 33mm but then I'm very picky