The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A6500 with Leica M & R Lenses

KeithDM

For my own amusement and edification(!) I will be trying out various combinations of M & R lenses over a period of time on my new A6500. Steady-shot function set to ON & appropriate focal length chosen. The ones below are all with Novoflex adaptor then imported into LightRoomCC and 'Auto' selected. I used focus-peaking set on 'red' and 'low'. Even on 'low', the peaking is quite imprecise in that shimmering lines are quite broad and one has to adjust focus to & fro in order to be reasonably sure of a sharp image. Perhaps it will be easier with more practice! All very unscientific, I know!

1) 1967 35mm Summaron f2.8. (ISO 1000, 1/60sec, f2.8, min focus distance).

View attachment 131764

2) 135mm APO-Telyt-M f3.4. (ISO 6400, 1/125sec, f3.4, min focus distance).

View attachment 131765

3) 50mm Summilux-M ASPH f1.4. (ISO 5000, 1/125sec, f1.4, min focus distance).

View attachment 131766

pegelli

Interesting Keith

Your picture with the summaron 35 confirms my own finding, i.e. that the corners are not impressive on a digital sensor. I have a 1964 version that I think behaves very similar.
On the other hand my Summicron 50/2 DR (1958) is a true gem and delivers a very nice rendering and good corner sharpness.

I see you also have Olympus and Pentax cameras, if you still have some good lenses with them it might be worthwhile to get some adapters for those as well. The nifty 50's aren't all that exiting but for instance the OM Zuiko 85/2 and 100/2.8 work very well on my A6000 and A7 and I use them a lot.

Btw, I also have the feeling your and my book collection overlap quite a bit :)

V

Vivek

The nifty 50's aren't all that exiting..
My experience differs and they are (all of them: f/1.8, f/1.4 and f1/2) are quite useful and every bit exciting. Infact, i prefer the OM 50/1.8 over the R 50/2 because it is so much lighter and much better wide open.

In addition, i can use a tilt adapter with the OM lenses (their light weight helps).

I agree that the 85/2 is a gem. It is superb on the A7rII as well.

pegelli

My experience differs and they are (all of them: f/1.8, f/1.4 and f1/2) are quite useful and every bit exciting. Infact, i prefer the OM 50/1.8 over the R 50/2 because it is so much lighter and much better wide open.
I've never used the 50/1.2 (only the 55/1.2 on loan for a half hour) so can't comment on it. I had both the 50/1.8 and 50/1.4 and liked the 1.4 so much better (bokeh/rendering) that I sold the 1.8. Not that the 1.8 was bad, it's certainly sharp but didn't excite me. But these type of considerations are very personal and since the OP has a 50/1.8 it might certainly be worthwhile to see how he likes it.

KeithDM

Two images with the Leica 60mm Macro Elmarit-R. One at min focus distance and one at a more normal distance. Both OoC .jpg's, the macro one was at ISO 6400 so had had some modest noise reduction in LR (the speckles on the pen are dust!). A6500 & lens make a pleasing combination :)

KeithDM

Next lens to try is my 28mm Elmarit-M ASPH, a dinky little thing :) As it equates to a 42mm, I had intended to see how it fares in a 'street' situation - but unfortunately it is pouring down! Below is an interior shot, ISO 3200, f2.8, OoC .jpg. Imported in LR and exported at 1024px & 72dpi.

PS - the shadows top L & R are from furniture.

V

Vivek

Keith: Couple of comments that boder on OT. I apologise in advance if it sounds inappropriate.

The tumblr link in the signature leads to nowhere.

I was curious about the LRPS title and googled to gete here:
http://www.rps.org/distinctions/lrps

I have never seen anyone use such a title (?) that here (or anywhere) thusfar. I think there are folks like Mr. Haines who would easily qualify for FRPS.

KeithDM

Thanks Vivek - not sure what went wrong with the tumblr link, but it works now :) (and I really need to update it!)

As to the 'LRPS', it is just part of my @copyright text that LR applies when I export photos.

Keith: Couple of comments that boder on OT. I apologise in advance if it sounds inappropriate.

http://www.rps.org/distinctions/lrps

I have never seen anyone use such a title (?) that here (or anywhere) thusfar. I think there are folks like Mr. Haines who would easily qualify for FRPS.

Barry Haines

Distinctions - RPS

Thank you Vivek for the kind compliment :)
When I first saw Keith display his LRPS I did have a little smile to myself :)
I did mine just a few years back with a set of 5"x4" transparencies but never took it any further :(
I do remember feeling honoured back then as I suspect Keith does now.

EDIT: Vivek, here is another one that you may have or not heard of... "The Leica Fellowship" The Leica Fellowship Index Page
Way back when I was a member (20+ years ago) in order to join the fellowship you had to first complete a 3 or 5 day qualifying course at Leica's UK office at Milton Keynes taking along with you your new Leica and Lens.
You was either then invited or you could apply to join the "The Leica Fellowship"
Hell, I just found my tie, badge and membership card after all these years!...Hence the edit...Image taken with a Sony naturally :D

Last edited:

Bugleone

Vivek...the RPS and it's 'qualifications' are more or less outmoded now as markers of amateurism, but there would not be anything to prevent you having a go if you like the idea........but here in the UK they are mainly a camera club thing now and no longer have the weight that they once did. Many older UK photographers have them but no longer mention or use them,

Actually there are plenty of people here that could gain all the levels quite easily......just take a look at 'Gandolfi's' B/W shots, and Pieter, aka 'pegelli' would have no problems

KeithDM

A very quick first test this evening of my 90mm Elmarit-R + Extender-R 2x (non-APO) on my A6500. Hand-held at 1/30sec - not something one would normally do at 270mm but the results below show the benefits of IBIS. These are indoor shots, so next I will have to try some outdoor ones and see how well (or not!) I can cope in windy conditions.

View attachment 132658

View attachment 132659