The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony 24-70 2.8 not as sharp as Canon 24-70 2.8

jpaulmoore

Hello all,
I recently purchased the Sony 24-70 2.8 zoom, based on the great reviews I have read about it. I currently shoot with the A7rll. Frankly, I haven't shot much with it to date, but I just read where Tony Northrup just did a test comparing it to the Canon 24-70 2.8. He also tested it with a Metabones adapter and he says the Canon is significantly sharper. Has anyone else made this comparison? This test seems to contradict what I have read about the Sony version. Could he have a bad copy of the Sony? I know it's only one test but I sure would like to know if there is that much difference.
Regards,
J. Paul

V

Vivek

Are you not happy with your sample based on your results or you are not happy that one reviewer found a canon version sharper?

jpaulmoore

Are you not happy with your sample based on your results or you are not happy that one reviewer found a canon version sharper?
Vivek, as I stated, I haven’t been able to shoot with my copy to make a judgement, and I realize that Tony Northrup’s Review is just one persons experience. I was just curious as to wether or not any others users have found their Sony 24-70 lenses not to be as sharp as the many have claimed it to be.
Regards,
J. Paul

cerett

Vivek, as I stated, I haven’t been able to shoot with my copy to make a judgement, and I realize that Tony Northrup’s Review is just one persons experience. I was just curious as to wether or not any others users have found their Sony 24-70 lenses not to be as sharp as the many have claimed it to be.
Regards,
J. Paul
My copy is tack sharp. Love my A7rii and iii. Does that help? I read Northrup's review and, overall, was not concerned or impressed. Why don't you take some images and decide for yourself. I don't think you will be disappointed. Enjoy!

jpaulmoore

Thanks for the feedback guys. Looking forward to putting the 24-70 2.8 through the paces when I get a chance.
Regards,
J. Paul

Paul David

I had to return two copies. The third one was excellent. The other two were decentered. Unacceptable at this price point, but showing you need to pay in testing time as well as dollars.

Paul

iiiNelson

Hello all,
I recently purchased the Sony 24-70 2.8 zoom, based on the great reviews I have read about it. I currently shoot with the A7rll. Frankly, I haven't shot much with it to date, but I just read where Tony Northrup just did a test comparing it to the Canon 24-70 2.8. He also tested it with a Metabones adapter and he says the Canon is significantly sharper. Has anyone else made this comparison? This test seems to contradict what I have read about the Sony version. Could he have a bad copy of the Sony? I know it's only one test but I sure would like to know if there is that much difference.
Regards,
J. Paul
I often find myself largely disagreeing with Tony Northrop absolute statements but it’s likely due to my own subjective opinion and what’s important to me for how I shoot. I believe that he focuses too much on absolute sharpness without considering the other elements like bokeh, tonal separation, acuity, falloff, etc. that go into the image when critiquing a lens or the photos of others. Also when he goes into exposure technique I find that he errs on the side of slightly overexposed whereas I prefer slightly underexposed... subjective preference though and knowing your camera’s traits. Many of the “greatest photos” aren’t perfectly sharp but the overall image is impactful for either the expression on a subject’s face, composition, or whatever.