The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7III, impressed?

pegelli

I am surprised to hear that Pieter. All chinese outfits import goods to Belgium and distribute them to other EU countries.

Order from eglobal central and it is shipped via Belgium, for example.

It was my understanding that there is not much of a government (or there are complexities that are being exploited) over there?
The problem starts as soon as the goods are delivered to a Belgium adress.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Code:
A rudimetary calculation shows that even with 22% tax, it should be €1950/unit.

It is just foolish to buy from an EU shop!
Whenever you have sent goods from a non-EU shop, this goes through customs - at least in Austria, but I think that is the same in the whole EU.

So then you usually pay that difference in customs ....

What's the deal then?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I am surprised to hear that Pieter. All chinese outfits import goods to Belgium and distribute them to other EU countries.

Order from eglobal central and it is shipped via Belgium, for example.

It was my understanding that there is not much of a government (or there are complexities that are being exploited) over there?
Still OT - But need to know this now:

1) If I buy via global central, this is finally shipped from EU to Austria?

2) what experience do you have using global central?

Thanks

Peter

Looks great but I will likely pass on it myself. I guess the only thing that has me scratching my head is why the A7RIII didn’t receive this AF upgrade as well when it was only released 2-3 months ago.

The other bothersome thing is all the Fuji people on some other boards bashing Sony for releasing cameras too fast as if Fuji hasn’t released the X-Pro 2, X-T2, X-T20, X-E3, X-A5, and now the X-H1 in the time since Sony released the A7II. It’s absolutely crazy but I think I’m getting to the point of ignoring camera forums again.
That is hilarious.

The a7iii looks like a winner vs the a6500 or the a7rii - unless you need the 42mp.

iiiNelson

That is hilarious.

The a7iii looks like a winner vs the a6500 or the a7rii - unless you need the 42mp.
I’m sure I’m likely missing some compact cameras in there as well but the point is that people regurgitate utter nonsense regarding Sony’s release cycle. I’m considering (and have been considering) a system change to Fuji for some specific reasons that are pertinent to me but it’s a calculated decision that has little to do with the quality of Sony cameras. When it comes to pure IQ the Sony that I own wins hands down (not taking GFX into account). When it comes to the need for a JPEG engine then Fuji wins in that regard. I also don’t know where the idea that Sony’s lenses aren’t good. I’d argue that they’re as good optically as most Leica lenses albeit larger due to AF.

Some seem to think Fuji lenses are vastly superior and it has me scratching my head because there isn’t a Fuji lens on the X lineup in the 35-55 range that I’d put above the 35/1.4, 50/1.4, or 55/1.8. Just doesn’t exist today. The 16-55 is a very good mid range zoom and the 50-140 is a great telephoto zoom. The 56/1.2 is great but focuses slowly and costs $3-800 more than the Sony 85/1.8 depending if you want the APD version. The 16/1.4 is just about the equal of the 25 Batis and I have zero complaints other than it manually focusing in the wrong direction. The 90/2 leaves little to be desired. The 80 Macro is outstanding in good light. The 100-400 is a great wildlife option on either system. The Sony 28/2 is a great lens for the money if you like the focal length. There are plenty of Voigtlander, Zeiss, and now Sigma options along with the Korean and Chinese stuff.

Knorp

Still OT - But need to know this now:

1) If I buy via global central, this is finally shipped from EU to Austria?

2) what experience do you have using global central?

Thanks

Peter
Hi Peter,

a while back I've asked the same question, see response below from eGlobal.
Bought three items so far (two lenses, one camera), all fine - no problems - no extra hidden costs.
But you need a bit of patience as even items 'in stock' can take a couple of weeks before they hit your doormat.
Warranty could be an issue as they are obviously grey imports, but hey - "Life is an ever changing journey", no ?

CS - Sales & Support (eGlobaL Central (EU))
Nov 18 15:36

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your message.

With regard to your query, we would like to confirm that orders placed on our site, are shipped out from our Hong Kong Warehouse as we are a Hong Kong Based company. The invoice we send is based only on the price of the item, any tax or vat amount will not be indicated on the invoice

However, we ship our orders with special logistics arrangement and therefore all you will need to pay is the prices on website, no VAT, import fees nor hidden charges involved for the customer on any order. Any VAT or customs duties incurred will be settle by eGlobaL. The price you see on the website is the final price you pay for the product.

Should you have any further inquiries, please feel free to contact us.

Best Regards,
eglobal central EU

ggibson

Apparently flare on the PDAF pixels is the cause. DPR added some commentary in the gallery link.

retow

A highly competitive contender, particularly in comparison with the most recent mft and Fuji top of the line offerings.

retow

Price in Switzerland is 2600 CHF. If I exclude the Swiss VAT (6.5%) it's 2430 CHF which is still 2600$. Therefore I pay 30% more than any US citicen and there are states you don't pay a sales tax at all (then it's 39%).
Until the a9 the prices were quite ok (around 10% higher). But since then it's just too much greed to me to buy one.
First, Swiss VAT is 7.7%. The listed USD price does not include sales taxes. The Sony US guarantee is very limited in time and what it covers. In Switzerland, official Sony dealers sell with 4 years warranty. So if apples were compared with apples, the difference in price is......???:lecture:

seb

seb said:
Price in Switzerland is 2600 CHF. If I exclude the Swiss VAT (6.5%) it's 2430 CHF which is still 2600$. Therefore I pay 30% more than any US citicen and there are states you don't pay a sales tax at all (then it's 39%).
Until the a9 the prices were quite ok (around 10% higher). But since then it's just too much greed to me to buy one.
First, Swiss VAT is 7.7%. The listed USD price does not include sales taxes. The Sony US guarantee is very limited in time and what it covers. In Switzerland, official Sony dealers sell with 4 years warranty. So if apples were compared with apples, the difference in price is......???:lecture:
You're right it's 7.7%. I was on the old rate. Sorry for that. But the numbers stay nearly the same:

To compare the revenue that Sony (and the seller) will get, we have to look at the price excl. taxes:
price comparison excl. sales tax/VAT:
CHF2600 -7.7% = CHF 2400 excl. VAT (=2559$) vs. 1999$: 28% higher price.

To compare the price Sony artisans (all from USA) talk about and what we (outside of USA) have to pay:
price comparison incl. sales tax/VAT:
As in some states you don't pay any sales tax at all the camera can be bought legaly for 1999$ (incl. tax) in the United States. This will be still 39% comparing to the final price in Switzerland of CHF 2600 (incl. VAT) (=2772$).

Both apples. Or am I wrong? (I'm not very into all these taxes)
The warranty was also not considered on my side. But when I look at the price I paid for my a7RII when the camera was released, the price (excl. taxes) was around 5% higher comparing to the US-price. Why should it be higher now?

Edit: Maybe I should explain a little more:

In EU with it's higher VAT (e.g. Germany: 19%) Sony does not open the hand that much, but the customer have to pay even more than what's possible in the States:
excl. taxes: €2300 - 19% = €1862 (=2289$) vs. 1999$: 15%
incl. taxes: €2300 (=2827$) vs. 1999$: 41%

I'm fine paying a slightly higher price (up to 10%). Switzerland has higher wages, prices or a better warranty. But 28% is just too much.
And I'm fine with paying a VAT/tax. The US-model is not healthy. Therefore I would not complain about something like 1999$ + 10% (higher price for Switzerland) + 7.7% (VAT). Or in Europe 1999$ + 0% (no higher price for EU) + 19% (VAT Germany).

Last edited:
V

Vivek

With the exception of EU rip-off pricing, this camera appears to be great, especially as an entry level FF camera! :thumbs:

I would have considered buying one for <€2,000. Now, i will be looking at non EU sources and at a price of ~€1600 (whenever that is possible).

retow

You're right it's 7.7%. I was on the old rate. Sorry for that. But the numbers stay nearly the same:

The old VAT rate was 8% and not 6.5%. And the rest of your "analysis" is equally thorough as your dealing with tax rates, I'm afraid.

seb

The old VAT rate was 8% and not 6.5%. And the rest of your "analysis" is equally thorough as your dealing with tax rates, I'm afraid.
Yes, as I said I'm not very into these taxes. 6.5% was the original one until 1996 and I had just this number in my head while doing the calculations in my first post. Thanks for clarifying this and also about the warranty.

iiiNelson

Did anyone actually buy one and if so can someone point me to their own impressions of the A7III? I’ve reconsidered selling the mainstays of my Sony kit due to the high number of people having stability/QC issues the last few months with Fujifilm camera bodies/lenses. Will probably still sell some of my least used lenses for Sony but maybe not he whole kit altogether.