The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7III, impressed?

V

Vivek

To me, it is not an easy task to ditch a full frame system for a cropped one. It is not just a camera but lenses, flashes and the whole 9 yards.

The A7 III ( do not own one, do not need one as I have several others that still work quite well) is touted as the best entry level FF camera.

iiiNelson

To me, it is not an easy task to ditch a full frame system for a cropped one. It is not just a camera but lenses, flashes and the whole 9 yards.

The A7 III ( do not own one, do not need one as I have several others that still work quite well) is touted as the best entry level FF camera.
Well I generally agree in giving up FF for cropped sensored cameras with the caveat that I’d add a GFX body for when resolution/greater IQ was desired. A couple of things sorta made me wary of going Fuji beyond the QC/stability concerns.

Autofocus isnt in the same class as Sony mirrorless when in lowlight. The ISO inaccuracy is bothersome in that Fuji cameras are usually reading 2/3-1 stop off. Losing eye-AF isn’t something I’m willing to do and Fuji’s way is quite a bit behind how Sony does it IMO. Having PDAF only in the center 50% of the sensornis a bit of a let down seeing how the A7III & A9 cover 93%... even the A7RII & A7RIII cover 2/3 of the frame. Lastly was how the AF tracking modes must be selected in menu for certain types of scenarios. It’s great in a controlled test. Seems like it will obviously fail when you’re not in the right mode for unexpected things.

Things that hat I love about the XH1 is the size and I actually hope Sony goes to a slightly larger/wider body (in the 10-20% larger range) for accommodating larger lenses in the next A9. Just my opinion but Fuji XH1 is nearly perfect ergonomically and it has the beat shutter I’ve ever tried in a camera.

V

Vivek

Shutter (the mechanical variety) and ergonomics can improve in Sony but they alone do not make a system. There is a huge differnce between a cropped sensor and a FF sensor, especially the EXMOR R ones from Sony, regardless of how many film simulations are offered or how high the hype is.

Having said that, the Sony A9 has the best shutter in a system camera. Totally silent as well! ;)

iiiNelson

Shutter (the mechanical variety) and ergonomics can improve in Sony but they alone do not make a system. There is a huge differnce between a cropped sensor and a FF sensor, especially the EXMOR R ones from Sony, regardless of how many film simulations are offered or how high the hype is.

Having said that, the Sony A9 has the best shutter in a system camera. Totally silent as well! ;)
The XH1 shutter isn’t silent at all... but it is quiet... They have the silent shutter feature but I wouldn’t use it on any camera other than the A9 because the readout on every other camera is too slow. I was mostly talking about feel of the shutter.

The sensors in the Fuji are the same as the ones in the A6xxx. So it’s a great sensor but yes the full frame ones are better for sure. Fuji as a system is mostly complete as well but in general I find that any constructive criticism from a direct user experience standpoint is met with “religious” opposition. I understand to some level but when it’s done from a critical manner in a constructive nature with reasoning then it comes across as more valid.

Also, I feel that Fuji users don’t want their cameras to be like Sony - but they are VERY MUCH like Sony in menus and operations (at least with the way I’ve customized my Sony) IMO. It’s also clear that Fuji is working to come after the Sony hybrid market with cameras like the XH1 (which is a reasonable goal as they are the one to beat IMO). They didn’t go full on video camera that can take still like the GH5 line and they didn’t go Photo camera that can do pretty good video like with the XT2. Seems like the A7III is the one to beat in value/ability ratio.

V

Vivek

Yeah, Tre. It is that “r” word that keeps me far far away from Fugi. Atleast, unlike the other “perfect” r brand, they are priced a bit more reasonably.

Like me, Sony is full of flaws. :)

iiiNelson

Yeah, Tre. It is that “r” word that keeps me far far away from Fugi. Atleast, unlike the other “perfect” r brand, they are priced a bit more reasonably.

Like me, Sony is full of flaws. :)
Yeah but I found most Leica owners (when I was researching to buy one) to be generally inviting and welcoming... some were even transparent enough to acknowledge that not everything about being a Leicaphile is rational which I understand.

Flaws and all (from cracked sensors to corroding ones) I still hold a special place in my head/heart for the M9 line but rationally I had to part with them because my Sony’s did a lot more for a lot less... and I enjoy using them as well though it’s not due to “connection” or the “essence of pure photography.” Put simply it’s that they can produce amazing IQ, they have some good lenses, they’re a progressive company that isn’t afraid to try something different, they market well, and I generally trust their direction to move the photographic industry in a healthier direction in the world where most people ONLY use their smartphone. Reading about it today, Sony adheres to the Minolta way in much of how they conduct business. Minolta was known for being a “cutting edge” company in the 70’s-90’s. Sony still incorporates those philosophies... hell they even stuck with both the Alpha/A7 monikers.

All that said i still like Fuji, Leica, but I don’t really get on with Nikon ergonomics because everything is reversed the wrong way to me. Canon Cinema EOS line is great and the 5D4 is a good camera too... but I wouldn’t own another non-cinema Canon for my uses. I still have one Panasonic Micro 4/3 body left (My G1) and I sold my GF1 and GH2 years ago... I go back and forth about adding a GH5 for personal usage. I still like the IQ and colors from them. I would never buy another Olympus due to bad experiences with QC that left a bad taste in my mouth but they seem to work well for others... I admit my biases. Someday I’d still like to add a MF mirrorless camera because I love the look for portraits but it’s not in the budget for now short of me going GFX or X1D and I don’t feel like learning more processing software.

iiiNelson

Well, A9 for me - while waiting for A9r. :watch:
I question if an A9R is coming at all... but if it does I certainly hope they increase the body size a little bit to make it easier to use the larger lenses like with what Fuji did with the XH1. It’s by far the most comfortable mirrorless camera that I’ve held other than the GFX/X1D.

k-hawinkler

I question if an A9R is coming at all... but if it does I certainly hope they increase the body size a little bit to make it easier to use the larger lenses like with what Fuji did with the XH1. It’s by far the most comfortable mirrorless camera that I’ve held other than the GFX/X1D.
Thanks Tre. I trust there will be a follow-on camera to the A9 with a lot more pixels. Same camera size or a little bit bigger is no issue for me. I hope Sony will offer what you want. :thumbs: