The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7III, impressed?

V

Vivek

Lots of improvements, including 6 screws to hold the FE mount (absolute must to mount the Sigma lenses! :ROTFL:)!

It appears that they continue to keep the star eater. :(

iiiNelson

Looks great but I will likely pass on it myself. I guess the only thing that has me scratching my head is why the A7RIII didn’t receive this AF upgrade as well when it was only released 2-3 months ago.

The other bothersome thing is all the Fuji people on some other boards bashing Sony for releasing cameras too fast as if Fuji hasn’t released the X-Pro 2, X-T2, X-T20, X-E3, X-A5, and now the X-H1 in the time since Sony released the A7II. It’s absolutely crazy but I think I’m getting to the point of ignoring camera forums again.

Last edited:

Knorp

Lots of improvements, including 6 screws to hold the FE mount (absolute must to mount the Sigma lenses! :ROTFL:)!

It appears that they continue to keep the star eater. :(
Ignoring the A9, A7R-III and now the A7-III. But speaking of Sigma: what about that ARTy 105/1.4 ... :bugeyes:

seb

As a package for the price I'm impressed. It will be a great camera for enthusiast (or pros with lower budget) but also a very capable backup camera (thanks to dual card and same "outside" as a7RIII/a9). An a7RII(I) will bring higher image quality (higher MP, better EVF for MF) while the a9 trumps with faster sensor readout (and therefore faster AF, higher frame rate and true silent shooting capabilities).

I'm curious if they lowered the sensor readout on the software side or if it is really a hardware thing (processor, not-stacked-sensor).

V

Vivek

Ignoring the A9, A7R-III and now the A7-III. But speaking of Sigma: what about that ARTy 105/1.4 ... :bugeyes:
I know you would be interested. At 1.65 Kg, it is a curiosity for me. It does come with its own tripod foot though. :ROTFL:

I am interested in the 70/2.8 macro with 49mm filter.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Impressive camera BUT:

What puts me off is the price difference between US ($1999.-) and EU (€2300.-) again.

The current $-€ Exchange rate makes this MUCH cheaper in the US - what are Sony thinking? Are we inferior people her in EU?

Sony solve this problem an then I am interested!

pegelli

Impressive camera BUT:

What puts me off is the price difference between US ($1999.-) and EU (€2300.-) again.

The current $-€ Exchange rate makes this MUCH cheaper in the US - what are Sony thinking? Are we inferior people her in EU?

Sony solve this problem an then I am interested!
Peter, I don't think that's too bad if I assume the US price is w/o sales tax and Europe is incl. VAT.

seb

Peter, I don't think that's too bad if I assume the US price is w/o sales tax and Europe is incl. VAT.
Price in Switzerland is 2600 CHF. If I exclude the Swiss VAT (6.5%) it's 2430 CHF which is still 2600$. Therefore I pay 30% more than any US citicen and there are states you don't pay a sales tax at all (then it's 39%).
Until the a9 the prices were quite ok (around 10% higher). But since then it's just too much greed to me to buy one.

V

Vivek

A rudimetary calculation shows that even with 22% tax, it should be €1950/unit.

It is just foolish to buy from an EU shop!

Peter, I don't think that's too bad if I assume the US

price is w/o sales tax and Europe is incl. VAT.

iiiNelson

Price in Switzerland is 2600 CHF. If I exclude the Swiss VAT (6.5%) it's 2430 CHF which is still 2600$. Therefore I pay 30% more than any US citicen and there are states you don't pay a sales tax at all (then it's 39%).
Until the a9 the prices were quite ok (around 10% higher). But since then it's just too much greed to me to buy one.
I’m wondering if a pricing decision was made based on how well it does or doesn’t do in the US versus other regions.

seb

I’m wondering if a pricing decision was made based on how well it does or doesn’t do in the US versus other regions.
As far as I know the prices for the latest Sony camera models a9, a7RII and a7III have the same "issue" all over the world. Prices are reasonably higher outside of the states.
If this is based on the selling numbers I don't know. But at least for me I would have bought an a9 last spring if the price difference would have been only up to 10% and not around 25%.

pegelli

A rudimetary calculation shows that even with 22% tax, it should be €1950/unit.

It is just foolish to buy from an EU shop!
You're absolutely right and I made the exact same calculation.
Whether 18% on the total price is a big deal is up to everyone himself to decide.

However my experience is that buying outside the EU and ducking import duties in Belgium is near impossible these days, don't know about other EU countries.
Belgium customs have delegated collecting taxes/duties to the Post service for a fixed % of the amount and very little gets through the maze.

Back to the main topic, irrespective of how much more it costs in Europe I still think it's an amazing deal for the price and even better (for me), it will make the A7ii drop in price :)

V

Vivek

I am surprised to hear that Pieter. All chinese outfits import goods to Belgium and distribute them to other EU countries.

Order from eglobal central and it is shipped via Belgium, for example.

It was my understanding that there is not much of a government (or there are complexities that are being exploited) over there?

k-hawinkler

Hopefully the A7 III leads to a substantial price drop for the A9 so that many more folks can experience this amazing camera IMHO! :grin: