The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Repair RX1RII or move on

tofa

My EVF has gone kaput, so I need to make a decision - using only the LCD is not for me.

So - get it repaired and continue using it as my one/main camera, cropping for zoom, or go on: to an A7RII/III with a ~35mm and continue to zoom crop, or an A7III with a zoom and have 24mp for all the shots. Video isn't a factor, low light is. Weight? . . . maybe, but not a deal breaker.

Anyone else been faced with this? Which way did you go and how did it work out? IBIS miraculous, newer tech a revelation, or is the Sonnar worth it?

Tom

p.s. I'll be selling a couple/few grand worth of older gear, so moneywise I could go either way . . .

V

Vivek

Tom, is it under warranty? Get a price quotation for a fix. This will make your decision easier.

There is no equivalent 35/2 for the FE mount. The sonnar as I mentioned elsewhere, could have been a 35/1.8 but for the restricted aperture put in the lens. This implies it is good already at f2, wide open.

My EVF has gone kaput, so I need to make a decision...
Tough call. Like Vivek says, a repair quote seems essential to help make the decision.

Mine wasn't broken, but I ultimately gave up my RX1RII in favor of the Loxia 35mm on an A7Rii. Obviously it's bigger, but for me that's not too important. And the addition of IBIS and the longer battery life is great.

tofa

Thanks for the replies. You both make points that I've been considering - the quality of the lens (especially when I use it as my main camera), and the added features like IBIS, longer battery life, etc.

It's not under warranty; I've seen several estimates of the repair by people who've had it done as being around $550-$600. Not cheap, but a lot cheaper than a new camera and lens.
I guess the first thing to do is the repair, then see if I'm still satisfied with it.

V

Vivek

I don’t know if you know this..you should do a two push to put the EVF away and not a single push down (push away from you and then push down). Not saying this is the cause but this two push operation keeps the diopter settings as they are.

Good luck!

DwF

I do the "two push" as well and feel pretty secure that my EVF will last. It seems pretty solid to me. ...knocks on wood. RX1R II is a very nice camera. I would send it in for repair if it were me.

tofa

I don’t know if you know this..you should do a two push to put the EVF away and not a single push down (push away from you and then push down). Not saying this is the cause but this two push operation keeps the diopter settings as they are.

Good luck!
Thanks - didn't know that. I'll be sure to do that when it is fixed.

Uaiomex

I have a RX100M3. I always do first a gentle slow squeeze-in using my thumb and my index and then the push down.
I feel this operation is safer to keep the VF on the right position (perhaps unnecessary) before going down. Is it the same kind of mechanism on RX1R2?

Good luck!

V

Vivek

I don't have the RX100 m3 but that sounds about right (ie., it is the same in the RX1R II).