The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My A7RII died while in use today

gurtch

HELP! Today I was out shooting. Weather was cold and windy. My camera after about an hour of shooting died. I took out the battery, then replaced it, turned the camera on and off several times. The steady shot warning came on, and the focus assist light came on when pushing the shutter release button. When I got home I took the lens off and when looking inside the lens mount, you do not see the sensor chip, rather you see the closed shutter. Any help for a retired 81 year old amateur?
Many thanks in advance
Dave Gurtcheff
Beach Haven, NJ
MODERN PICTORIALS

pegelli

That's a bummer Dave, looks like some kind of shutter malfunction so I agree with k-h that sending it in for repair (or for an estimate of the repair cost) is your best option.

k-hawinkler

BTW I have excellent experience with Precision Camera Sony’s repair contractor here in the US. I got my A7r.2 back in less than a week when I fried the power supply, my mistake. At the time all A7r.2s were still under warranty so they didn’t charge me. :grin:

V

Vivek

PM sent to avoid attacks from the Sony apologists.

HELP! Today I was out shooting. Weather was cold and windy. My camera after about an hour of shooting died. I took out the battery, then replaced it, turned the camera on and off several times. The steady shot warning came on, and the focus assist light came on when pushing the shutter release button. When I got home I took the lens off and when looking inside the lens mount, you do not see the sensor chip, rather you see the closed shutter. Any help for a retired 81 year old amateur?
Many thanks in advance
Dave Gurtcheff
Beach Haven, NJ
MODERN PICTORIALS

gurtch

I received word from Precision Camera Repair, who apparently is Sony's designated repair facility in the USA. I purchased the A7RII new in August 2015. I paid full list price of $3198. It broke down in March 2018. The repair cost will be $451.88 including shipping. OUCH!!! I am an 81 year old amateur who uses their equipment carefully and it has never seen professional use. This is very disappointing to me as I care for my equipment, and baby it. I know there are many Pros out there who use Sony equipment to make a living. What has been your experience with longevity?
Thanks
Dave in NJ (USA)

V

Vivek

Dave, A piece of advice from this much younger amateur- never buy a new Sony camera at its MSRP.

In the US , use greentoe and try to buy it at the price you want it for (it may take a while after a camera debutes). Right now, I can buy a new Sony A7rII on ebay (with a seller warranty of 1 year) for €1675, as opposed to a local A7III for €2399 (2 year warranty).

Never ever use your Sony camera in light shower or heavy humidity (there will a bunch lining up to say otherwise). They just do not make cams that stand up to moisture. My A7rII (converted to monochrome) has already died twice but I resurrected by opening it up and drying it (I also have a spare motherboard in case I need to replace the current one). It is a moisture magnet.

gurtch

Dave, A piece of advice from this much younger amateur- never buy a new Sony camera at its MSRP.

In the US , use greentoe and try to buy it at the price you want it for (it may take a while after a camera debutes). Right now, I can buy a new Sony A7rII on ebay (with a seller warranty of 1 year) for €1675, as opposed to a local A7III for €2399 (2 year warranty).

Never ever use your Sony camera in light shower or heavy humidity (there will a bunch lining up to say otherwise). They just do not make cams that stand up to moisture. My A7rII (converted to monochrome) has already died twice but I resurrected by opening it up and drying it (I also have a spare motherboard in case I need to replace the current one). It is a moisture magnet.
Thanks Vivek. Actually we live on a barrier island in southern NJ, in USA. 95% of my shooting is walking along the beach (especially off season, in damp salt air environment and blowing fine sand). I do keep a UV filter on my lenses at all times, and usually do not change lenses on the beach (if I do, I shield the body cavity from the elements).
I did use Greentoe to purchase a Sony 100-500mm GM lens, and the experience was positive.
Thanks for taking the time for your reply.
Dave

V

Vivek

Dave, I saw your thread at FM. Thought, I will link it here as it has few more user feed backs.

My A7RII died when shooting - FM Forums

Btw, fwiw, sony have changed the copper heat shield in the A7rIII. Presumably, it will not draw moisture from the EVF as it does in the A7rII.

gurtch

Dave, I saw your thread at FM. Thought, I will link it here as it has few more user feed backs.

My A7RII died when shooting - FM Forums

Btw, fwiw, sony have changed the copper heat shield in the A7rIII. Presumably, it will not draw moisture from the EVF as it does in the A7rII.
I got the camera back, good as new. All settings were set at factory default. It took me several hours with the (Very poor) instruction manual to try to remember how I had it set up before sending it in for repairs. Thanks for all the encouragement and tips
Dave