The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Dedicated Monochrome Cameras

Pradeep

Vivek and others, I am intrigued by the idea of a dedicated monochrome camera, now that the Sony platform has matured so well. I love B&W prints and it seems that this process definitely brings out the best the Sony sensors have to offer.

I spoke to Daniel yesterday and discussed some options. I am trying to decide what would be the best approach for me.

At present I have the Rx1r2 and the A7r3 (my a9 is only used for wildlife and action). Clearly, the latter is more useful to me as my main landscape camera and I am loathe to convert it for then I would have to use my a9 for landscape and other work with a resultant lower resolution. I could have the Rx1r2 converted but that is my main travel camera for 'casual' use.

So my questions are:

1. Granted the Rx1r2 has a fixed lens, but if I am satisfied with that, is there any difference in the final image quality compared to the A7rX?
2. If I bought a used a7rX and converted it (assuming I am willing to spend that extra money), how problematic is the IR filter issue with the different lenses - filter size and all that.
3. My understanding is that the best approach is to have a 'full' conversion done, i.e. full spectrum so the camera then becomes capable of IR photography if desired, and one can simply put on a specific frequency IR filter on the lens as needed is that a good idea?
4. Given that the camera loses its PDAF capability, have you had major problems with focusing using contrast or manual focus?
5. If cost were not an issue, would you suggest converting an A7rX camera (I have most of the lenses in the system) or limit it to the Rx1r2? The former creates a more bulky set up but the lenses are already there and gives you greater flexibility.
6. Finally, for this situation, is there a big difference to choose between the a7r2 and a7r3 given that the PDAF is no longer in play?

Thanks in advance.

V

Vivek

Hi Pradeep,

A monochrome converted “full spectrum” is best suited for near Uv and visible captures. You actually lose a bit of IR sensitivity when you lose the microlenses and the Bayer dyes.

Unless you do a lot of street photography, RX1/RX1R II conversion can be ruled out.

Given your plethora of system lenses, I would suggest an A7rII for conversion. Yes, you lose the PDAF, so A7rIII is not going to do much. Although you may want to have the same battery for all your cameras.

Filters for a full spectrum camera: the clip filters that mount inside a camera have their limits. Your 12-24, for example, will not play well with it. Your long lenses also might have vignetting issues. Anything other than ultrawides and super teles would be OK. OTOH, you may as well choose to keep the original UV/IR cut filter of an A7rII/III. Gary’s A7(m) is done this way. In such a case, you can use all your lenses without any worry about vignetting although only in the visible light spectrum.

Here is where a “full spectrum” RX1/RX1R II has an advantage. 49mm filters.

In my case, money was a big factor. My RX1 was bought as a fixer upper and I fixed it before I sent it off to Daniel for the monochrome conversion. He did a fabulous job. These are trickier than the A7x system cameras.

Pradeep

Vivek, thanks for a quick reply. I've been reading on FM about this topic as well and there is a lot to learn. It seems to me that the conversion does make a difference to the final image. Your point about keeping the same battery for all (most) of my cameras is very valid. Since I do very little street photography, it may be that I should have the A7r3 converted and not the Rx.

I should probably have the 'full spectrum' conversion and use additional filters either inside the body or on the lens outside. Going this far, why not have the additional functionality of shooting IR - I quite like some of the wildlife photographs I've seen taken this way. I will of course need to find the filters to go with the lenses - an additional expense and more stuff to carry around! But nothing comes cheap or easy in life.

scho

Purple Oxalis. a7R(m) + Astronomic UV/IR cut filter + Rokinon 24/2.8. Selenium/neutral split tone in LR.

JoelM

Daniel just emailed me and said that they cannot convert my a7r. Is this a new development or am I missing something here? Is there a way to get my a7r modified to be an a7r (m)?

Joel

JoelM

Those are file converters, but I need someone to remove the CFA in the first place. I had thought that there were a few companies in the US that could do this.

Thanks,

Joel

V

Vivek

Read the first link, again. It is a mini review on the state of the debayered sensors including all the service providers available. Ofcourse, it is about a RAW converter.

Those are file converters, but I need someone to remove the CFA in the first place. I had thought that there were a few companies in the US that could do this.

Thanks,

Joel

V

Vivek

I had a chance to spend a few days in Prague, Czech Republic. The only camera I took with me worked out just great. :)

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
Sony RX1(m), UV/IR cut filter, Prague

scho

Daniel just emailed me and said that they cannot convert my a7r. Is this a new development or am I missing something here? Is there a way to get my a7r modified to be an a7r (m)?

Joel
Curious. Did he explain why he couldn't do your a7r? He converted my a7r a few months ago.

JoelM

Daniel Morrison at Monochrome imaging systems does the conversions. I was referring to Daniel Malkin at Life Pixel. He does not do the conversion.

Daniel Morrison at Monochrome will be doing my a7r (m) conversion when he returns from his holiday.

I hope that this clears this up. I had my Daniels poorly defined or mistaken. I apologize if this caused anyone any confusion. I will email Daniel (monochrome) and let him know that it is fully sorted.

Thanks,

Joel

Pradeep

Daniel Morrison at Monochrome imaging systems does the conversions. I was referring to Daniel Malkin at Life Pixel. He does not do the conversion.

Daniel Morrison at Monochrome will be doing my a7r (m) conversion when he returns from his holiday.

I hope that this clears this up. I had my Daniels poorly defined or mistaken. I apologize if this caused anyone any confusion. I will email Daniel (monochrome) and let him know that it is fully sorted.

Thanks,

Joel
I emailed Daniel Morrison about my pending A7r3 conversion just to make sure and he confirmed that he is continuing to do all the conversions on the A7r series as before.