The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Dedicated Monochrome Cameras

V

Vivek

Pradeep, check the camera with the body cap on and with a lens with a cap for IR leaks from the shutter.

Not sure why you are using Monochrome2dng for processing the files. C1 would do a splendid job. You still have a Bayered camera!

Pradeep

Pradeep, check the camera with the body cap on and with a lens with a cap for IR leaks from the shutter.

Not sure why you are using Monochrome2dng for processing the files. C1 would do a splendid job. You still have a Bayered camera!
Ok, will do. However, if it was shutter related leaks then it should be uniform with all lenses which it does not seem to be.

I don't have C1. I tried it -honestly, real hard when I had the Phase One system a few years ago, but did not like the interface. For me Aperture was the best but they Apple stopped developing it. So have stuck with LR, and it seems to do a good enough job. However, in this instance it still tries to read the raw files as if it was a color image. M2D is very clunky in some ways, but it is fast enough for this to work.

V

Vivek

C1 express for Sony is free. You retain the WB (there are others thta allow this as well, none of them are Adobe products). You can do presets according to the filters you use.

V

Vivek

The folks at monochrome2DNG have been constantly improving and optimising their RAW converter. Kudos! :thumbs:

Through their latest iteration.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

Sony RX1(m), The Hague

Pradeep

That's a good one Vivek.

I am loving the black and white output from the camera though, it will be interesting to put it through its paces in Africa. I guess I can always correct the hotspot in post.

scho

A few shots with the Voigtlander Nokton 40/1.2 on the Sony A7r(m) + Astronomik UV/IR cut filter. Processed through Monochrome2DNG and LR.

Last edited:

jarane

Hi,
there are some very nice BW images here.
Regardless of price, when it comes to full-spectrum conversions, any thoughts on Monochromeimaging vs. Kolari Vision vs. Maxmax?

Thanks in advance,
E.C.

V

Vivek

Hi, i have no exprience with any of them on the FS converions as I do them myself (for myself). All three you list are capable and reliable. You choose according to your preferences.

Hi,
there are some very nice BW images here.
Regardless of price, when it comes to full-spectrum conversions, any thoughts on Monochromeimaging vs. Kolari Vision vs. Maxmax?

Thanks in advance,
E.C.

jarane

Thanks Vivek,
I just spoke with the 3 of them and they all perform different camera conversions.

Thanks again,
E.C.

scho

The foot of snow we received about a week ago is almost gone now. Sony A7r(m) Samyang 35/2.8 AF with B+W 040 orange filter.

V

Vivek

Using the new 7 Artisans 28/1.4.

Sony A7rII(m), 7 Artisans 28/1.4, Baader UV/IR cut filter, f/1.4, 1/250s, ISO500, The Hague

seb

Love that shot. I'm sure the man on the bike would like to have a copy of it. :)

How is the new lens? As my A7RII is not modified. Do you think there is a difference quality wise?

Using the new 7 Artisans 28/1.4.

Sony A7rII(m), 7 Artisans 28/1.4, Baader UV/IR cut filter, f/1.4, 1/250s, ISO500, The Hague

V

Vivek

Hi Seb, thanks!

It does alright on a stock A7R though the bokeh may be bit harsh. I suspect the stock A7R II will follow the same track.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/vivek-iyer/albums/72157704228284854

There are people urging 7 Artisans to coat (“ink”) the rim of one of the internal lenses to eliminate the ring flare it gives when pointed at bright point light sources (see: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1571767). You can buy it now as it is or pressure them to issue a ring flare free version (if they would) before buying one. Either way, it is quite inexpensive. Less than twice the price of a lens hood for the ZM Distagon 35/1.4 or less than the price of a hood for the Summilux M 28/1.4!

I am happy with mine.

Last edited:

seb

Circles around light sources are the new stars! :)
The bokeh is definitely harsh. Thanks for the linked album. Very useful.

Hi Seb, thanks!

It does alright on a stock A7R though the bokeh may be bit harsh. I suspect the stock A7R II will follow the same track.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/vivek-iyer/albums/72157704228284854

There are people urging 7 Artisans to coat (“ink”) the rim of one of the internal lenses to eliminate the ring flare it gives when pointed at bright point light sources (see: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1571767). You can buy it now as it is or pressure them to issue a ring flare free version (if they would) before buying one. Either way, it is quite inexpensive. Less than twice the price of a lens hood for the ZM Distagon 35/1.4 or less than the price of a Summilux M 28/1.4!

I am happy with mine.