The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Dedicated Monochrome Cameras

V

Vivek

Had it been badged Zeiss, it would have gotten a "Hollywood" tag. Luckily, due to the lack of that tag, it is inexpensive.

7 Artisans 28/1.4. WO.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

Sony A7rII(m), 7 Artisans 28/1.4, Baader UV/IR cut filter, The Hague

bensonga

I am printing this image for an upcoming 13x19 inch B&W print exchange.

Gary

TWA Lockheed Constellation engines, Pima Air and Space Museum, Tucson, Arizona
Sony A7m (converted by Daniel Morrison), FE 16-35/4 lens at 35mm, ISO 100, 1/640 at f8

kuau

Workshop Member
Going to keep this thread alive.
Thinking about sending in my A7Rlll to Daniel for the Monochrom conversion.
Just want to do straight B&W work. Which options if any should I add to my order.
Lastly which filters should I start with? On earlier posts I liked the B+W 040 Orange.

Thanks

Steven

JoelM

Daniel will ask you what you want. Just chat with him and let him know what kind of shooting you are going to do. I just did what he recommended and am happy. As for filters, just play around and see what you like. Clicks are free.

Joel

soboyle

I've seen it argued here that removing the color filter array can cause some effective loss of dynamic range because the color channels are no longer available for highlight recovery. I wondered if those who have these converted cameras can comment, if this is something they are seeing in real use. I'm ready to have my A7R2 converted at monochromeimaging but want to get feedback on this issue before I send my camera off.

kuau

Workshop Member
I've seen it argued here that removing the color filter array can cause some effective loss of dynamic range because the color channels are no longer available for highlight recovery. I wondered if those who have these converted cameras can comment, if this is something they are seeing in real use. I'm ready to have my A7R2 converted at monochromeimaging but want to get feedback on this issue before I send my camera off.
I haven’t noticed any loss of DR on my converted A7R3. All you need to be aware of is not to blow out the high lights which is no big deal and of course get the Monochrome2DNG app which converts the the raw file to DNG.
I would go for it you won’t regret it.

bensonga

I have taken relatively few photos with any of my cameras in the past year, including my A7(m). This photo is one I took in March 2018 at the Pima Air and Space Museum in Tucson. I printed it recently for another 13x19 inch print exchange.

I’ve been very happy with the tonality, shadow details and of course the sharpness and detail of the images captured by this monochrome converter sensor/camera. Daniel Morrison did an excellent job converting the Sony A7.

Gary

Convair F-106A

Last edited: