The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Transfer RAW + JPG on ipad pro

Hello

Sony A7R III

I shoot in RAW (card 1) + JPG (card 2) do you know how I can transfer my photos to iPad Pro?
I need :
1) To transfer very fast (wireless) jpg during a shooting to be able to control or show to customers immediately
2) When travelling to transfer the RAW to process them with affinity photo for Ipad (I do not want Lightroom)

PS: The WIFI with PlayMemories is terrible to use (scan the code every time) and I can not find how to transfer RAW

thanks for helping

Godfrey

Hello

Sony A7R III

I shoot in RAW (card 1) + JPG (card 2) do you know how I can transfer my photos to iPad Pro?
I need :
1) To transfer very fast (wireless) jpg during a shooting to be able to control or show to customers immediately
2) When travelling to transfer the RAW to process them with affinity photo for Ipad (I do not want Lightroom)

PS: The WIFI with PlayMemories is terrible to use (scan the code every time) and I can not find how to transfer RAW

thanks for helping
  • For WiFi camera control and JPEG transfer, you're stuck with Sony's PlayMemories app. I don't know of any other options.
  • To transfer both JPEG and raw files to an iPad Pro, use the Apple Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader. It will transfer all JPEG and raw files from the standard DCIM file structure on your SD card to the Photos library, and Affinity Photo can read them from there.

G

Godfrey

Arsenal looked like a pretty cool product, so I contacted the developer with the questions:

• Does Arsenal work with Olympus E-M1 and Sony A7III?
  • Will it work with iOS 11.x?
  • Will it transfer raw files to the iPad Pro for processing in Affinity Photo?

His summary was: "You've asked three big questions here and unfortunately the answer to all of them is 'not yet.'"

You can see the current list of supported cameras here: https://witharsenal.com/supported-cameras

Once we finish shipping the first set of pre-orders next month we will be turning our attention back to further camera support. We certainly want to add Olympus (particularly the E-M1) and the A7III is probably the most requested camera so adding support for it will be a priority. We cannot guarantee anything (there can be technical issues that can take some time to overcome).
Arsenal's app works on any modern iOS or Android phone. It supports iOS phones running 9.0 or newer, When Arsenal ships, the app will only support phones. We plan to support iOS and Android tablets later this year.
So the situation for the present is pretty much as I outlined in my first response.

G

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member

Godfrey

Rather than Godfreys adapter I use the following :

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter?fnode=91

It is able to take a USB power source and may spare the internal iPad battery from drain a bit better. But requires
another cable and a wall wart.

Both work well.

Sony does have an imaging suite for tether and capture but not iOS compatible.

https://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/app/imagingedge/en/download/

Bob
Ah, that's one of the other Apple iPad cable adapters. I have the simpler USB2 compatible one too, but honestly I find the SD card reader the most useful. You can see them all at this page: Apple iPad Accessories - Cables and Power.

I have a few of the other ones too, for various purposes, since the iPad Pro has pretty much become my "standard computer" for most of my day to day needs. (I need a couple of USB-C ones now too, for the Light camera.)

G

Photon42

-> 1) To transfer very fast (wireless) jpg during a shooting to be able to control or show to customers immediately

Did someone try Eye-fi cards? I use them from time to time, but only with a computer as the viewing device. Setting them to basic quality and Medium size works fast enough for me

-> 2) When travelling to transfer the RAW to process them with affinity photo for Ipad (I do not want Lightroom)

Copying RAW files is possible with a card reader.

Godfrey

Did someone try Eye-fi cards? I use them from time to time, but only with a computer as the viewing device. Setting them to basic quality and Medium size works fast enough for me
I have a couple and tried to work with them several times, using both Sony A7 and Olympus E-M1. In my case, they proved to be terribly finicky and unreliable, so I just gave up on them after a while.

The manufacturers' remote control and transfer software for both these Wi-Fi equipped cameras proved more consistent and reliable, as it is also for the Leica SL.

G

Godfrey

Just got the word that the Sony A7III is now on the supported list.

G

Arsenal looked like a pretty cool product, so I contacted the developer with the questions:

• Does Arsenal work with Olympus E-M1 and Sony A7III?
  • Will it work with iOS 11.x?
  • Will it transfer raw files to the iPad Pro for processing in Affinity Photo?

His summary was: "You've asked three big questions here and unfortunately the answer to all of them is 'not yet.'"

So the situation for the present is pretty much as I outlined in my first response.

G

V

Vivek

This is good to know but the OP asked about the A7rIII (42mp) and not the A7III (24mp).

Godfrey

I don't follow the Sony models in specific, those distinctions mean little to me. Perhaps if you're interested in these cameras, you should sign up on the "witharsenal" announcement list yourself for the details.

The gist of the note I received was as follows:

We just wrapped up testing and can officially confirm that the Sony A7III will be supported by Arsenal at launch!

If you've been holding your order for confirmation Arsenal will support the Sony A7III, make sure you pre-order your Arsenal now to ensure yours will ship with our 2nd production batch in September. Our pre-order discounted pricing (30% off retail) is still available--but we are limited on how long we can continue to offer this price.

As a reminder, we also added support for these cameras after our Kickstarter campaign. You can pre-order or update your order with these models as well:

Canon Rebel SL2
Canon T7i/800d
Canon 77d/9000d
Nikon D850
Nikon D5600
Sony A9
Sony A7rIII​
I'm interested to see if they add the Leica SL or Olympus E-M1 to the supported list. Until that time, there's nothing for me in this product offering.

G