The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7Rii vs A7Riii vs A7iii- Any substantive difference?

pflower

My A7ii has died. I was, for the most part, extremely happy with it. The only real bugbear was the inability to configure a button to switch between EVF and LCD. Printing up to A2 size was no problem. But I did find some images fell apart quite quickly if pushed too hard in LR.

I need to replace it, but this will be as a second camera, a backup/alternatice to my X1D. It was, for some years, my main digital camera and did sterling service.

I don't need fancy autofocus or high speed frames per second. I need something that will give me the best image quality with reasonable autofocus on, mostly, static or slow moving subjects.

My instinct, now that prices have dropped, is just to go for an A7Rii on the basis that it will allow me to switch the EVF and LCD on a button and the extra MP might allow a bit more leeway in post processing.

Any thoughts from anyone with experience of the 3 cameras?

Thanks

Toine

My A7ii has died. I was, for the most part, extremely happy with it. The only real bugbear was the inability to configure a button to switch between EVF and LCD. Printing up to A2 size was no problem. But I did find some images fell apart quite quickly if pushed too hard in LR.

I need to replace it, but this will be as a second camera, a backup/alternatice to my X1D. It was, for some years, my main digital camera and did sterling service.

I don't need fancy autofocus or high speed frames per second. I need something that will give me the best image quality with reasonable autofocus on, mostly, static or slow moving subjects.

My instinct, now that prices have dropped, is just to go for an A7Rii on the basis that it will allow me to switch the EVF and LCD on a button and the extra MP might allow a bit more leeway in post processing.

Any thoughts from anyone with experience of the 3 cameras?

Thanks
Very interesting question. I have a whole range of legacy Minolta MD/MC lenses which I use on an A6000 and I plan to upgrade with buying a Techart AF thing which is not compatible with A6000 and I struggle to make a choice. Of course, I like low light pictures, being able to crop a bit... but I am at pains to make a choice so advice welcome

KenLee

You asked for people with experience of all 3 but got little response. I have an A7RII and have no plans to upgrade to the A7RIII.

To me, the only substantial difference is the A7RIII's larger battery, but I don't shoot weddings or other situations where we need to bang out photos with minimal interruption. The slot for an additional card is nice, but unless I am mistaken the second slot doesn't give twice the capacity.

I have not seen any image comparisons which demonstrate a compelling advantage of the A7RII's pixel-shift. For my purposes, any improvement in the sensor is a modest increment at best.

However, the difference between 24 and 42MP is compelling if we make prints at 100% size.

V

Vivek

a7rIII and presumably the A7III offer LCDs with a position sensor. Lift it up and it activates the LCD over the EVF. A key concern of yours.

A7rIII also has improvements with respect to sealing and heat dissipation.

Compared to a Hassy, these are cheap.

Go for the latest. Go for the A7RIII

SrMphoto

I have A7RM2 and A7RM3. In my view, the A7RM3 is a considerable improvement in terms of handling and UI. A7RM3 can also be charged via USB-C, the AF should be better, the battery is larger and the second memory slot is great for overflow or backup if you prefer. I use Lumix G9 as the backup/alternative camera to my X1D.