The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A6500 and 18-135mm lens

Elliot

I have been a longtime micro four-thirds camera person, and also earlier a Pentax user. With travel looming this summer, I have been looking for a general purpose single lens in a lightweight kit.

Right now, I have the Panasonic G85 with a couple of lenses. I have been looking at lenses for travel, such as the Olympus 12-100 or the Panasonic 12-60, or a combination, such as the Panasonic 12-35 and 35-100. But I would prefer one lens.

Then I saw an ad for the Sony A6500 with the 16-50 lens or the 18-135 lens. I have looked at DxO Mark and also compared the dimensions. The Sony + 18-135 is smaller than the Panasonic + 14-140 or even the Panasonic + Olympus 12-40.

Is there a downside to the Sony, besides learning a new system? I am a stills shooter, and so am not so concerned about video. The cost of the Sony kit would be less than the two lens Panasonic strategy, and offers reach advantages over the others, except the Olympus 12-100 which is too heavy and only a few dollars les..

Thanks for your insight. Please be gentle, I have never used a Sony!

V

Vivek

I do not see any downside to Sony APS-C over m43.

Also check out the RX10 IV.

ggibson

Never held these lenses, but the Pana 14-140 (II) dimensions are slightly smaller than that Sony lens. But they seem very similar. The Panasonic has slightly more reach. If I were you, I'd probably stick with m4/3 since you already have a G85 and some lenses. I don't think the difference between these travel zooms would be worth switching.

iiiNelson

If you’re considering a system switch it’s worth looking at a Fuji X and the 18-135 WR as well. Personally if you stick with Micro 4/3 I strongly suggest sticking with lenses from the body brand that you own. There are many people that can give great feedback on M43 options.

Now regarding the A6500 - by most measures it’s a great camera. I have an old NEX-5 still but I primarily use Sony FF E-Mount camera’s. I think it would be nice for Sony to introduce an APSC camera in the A7 body as I think it would be a nice match and more serious competitor to the higher end M43 and Fuji X bodies. The lens lineup needs to be updated IMO but Sigma actually has a few good lenses in the 16, 19, 30, and 60mm lenses and there’s a few good FF prime lenses by Sony that would work really well too.