The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Smaller, lighter and cheaper- Samyang 24/2.8

V

Vivek

Let us hope that this lens is quite decent.

At sub 100gm weight, Batis and the over priced Loxia seem so yesterday! :grin:

Knorp

If we look at the performance of its 85gr 35/2.8 sibling, this 24/2.8 could do pretty well.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I'm looking forward to this one. As a lens company, they're really come a long ways over the past few years. The 35mm ƒ1.4 that I recently acquired is amazing.
I am looking forward to this one too . No date of availability yet here for Germany . But a price .
299 € . I found no real review for that dwarf yet but the few comments sound promising .

jotloob

Subscriber Member
This lens will be available 31.07.2018 and it will cost 299 € having a 6 years warrenty .
That is great .

V

Vivek

Amazon will not ship to the Netherlands because of the local cartel.

The price here is €329 with a 5 year warranty.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I have placed my order today . 299 € minus 10 € Bonus . Delivery date is end of July . Hopefully .:grin:

V

Vivek

Looking forward to your thoughts and samples with this lens. :)

I am in no hurry to buy one.

V

Vivek

Unexpected twist.. I may get the lens in my hand later this evening...with a 5 year warranty.

V

Vivek

Indeed. :)

For those in the Benelux, it is available from today (from the usual suspects)! :)

V

Vivek

Lens arrived and it is, as advertised, light and small. I can not comment on AF speeds as I only have gen 1 cameras (CDAF). AF is not noisy for my use.

The lens even with its super light hood is certainly prone to flare.

I can not comment on more things without checking the performance.
It is not in the league of Zony E 24/1.8

I can absolutely say that this lens is superb in IR with no hotspot issues. :thumbs:

V

Vivek

Perhaps the wording in the background summarises the lens.
(Who seeks find but not always what he seeks)

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

Sony A7s, Samyang FE 24/2.8

Auto focused snap.

V

Vivek

I do have a 30 day return period for this lens. I am unsure if I would keep it.

Although sharp from corner to corner, color shifts on even A7S was totally unexpected. Obviously, there are no profiles to correct for vignetting and distortions.

On my monochrome converted A7rII.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

jotloob

Subscriber Member
This lens is in my hands since two days . It has a 6 years warrenty .
I could not do much testing yet . But what I already found is , its sharp from corner to corner at all apertures . I can see a slight dark blue cast , which can easily be corrected . I will test for distortion on the weekend .
BTW , the SONY ZEISS AF 2,8/35 FE shows some distortion which can not be corrected .
That lens can not be used for architecture photography .

pegelli

Thanks for these observations Vivek and Jürgen, very interesting.

One question, any experience how it performs vs. the Samyang 35/2.8 from the same series (AF, distortion and sharpness)?

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Sorry Peter

Never had that SAMYANG 35mm in my hands . So I can't comment .:banghead: Sorry .