The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Long Lenses

doug

American Bittern hiding in plain sight
Yolo County California
a7rII (Kolari), FE 100-400 GM​

V

Vivek

Hi Doug,

Do you see any marked improvement with the Kolari mod?

doug

Hi Doug,

Do you see any marked improvement with the Kolari mod?
Not a big difference, but then I don't have any wide rangefinder lenses. I used the Kolari today because I sold the un-modified body first and the a7rIII hasn't arrived yet (expected monday).

doug

Another American Bittern and my first outing with the a7rIII.

American Bittern
Yolo County California

equipment: Sony a7rIII, FE 100-400 GM

iiiNelson

Another American Bittern and my first outing with the a7rIII.

American Bittern
Yolo County California

equipment: Sony a7rIII, FE 100-400 GM
Are you seeing any significant improvements forbyour usage with the A7RIII?

Pradeep

Doug, these are great shots, and must be difficult to get the focus right given the twigs and weeds in front of the bird. Are you finding it difficult with the A7r3 and the 100-400? My own experience is that although it works, it is nowhere near as good as the A9. Which is a pity because with birds you end up cropping a lot.

doug

Doug, these are great shots, and must be difficult to get the focus right given the twigs and weeds in front of the bird. Are you finding it difficult with the A7r3 and the 100-400? My own experience is that although it works, it is nowhere near as good as the A9. Which is a pity because with birds you end up cropping a lot.
I crop only when necessary.

When the bird is in the vegetation where the AF has trouble locking onto the bird I switch to manual focus, where a slight turn of the focussing ring magnifies the viewfinder. Very easy.

Are you seeing any significant improvements for your usage with the A7RIII?
The AF is quicker especially at smaller apertures, and I can re-program the SS dial to turn the way my brain expects it to after 35 years of using Leica-R equipment. Both big improvements.

iiiNelson

Met Patrick Murphy-Racey today at the local Sony event and tried out his 400/2.8... great lens that is not in my budget right now. Lighter than I expected too but also larger than I expected (with the hood on) too. On a side note the local camera store (Murphy’s Camera in Kentucky) is selling the A9 for $1000 off through Saturday if anyone is looking to buy one. There are also deals to be had on nearly every lens except the 24-105 since they can’t keep them in stock as it is.

Pradeep

Met Patrick Murphy-Racey today at the local Sony event and tried out his 400/2.8... great lens that is not in my budget right now. Lighter than I expected too but also larger than I expected (with the hood on) too. On a side note the local camera store (Murphy’s Camera in Kentucky) is selling the A9 for $1000 off through Saturday if anyone is looking to buy one. There are also deals to be had on nearly every lens except the 24-105 since they can’t keep them in stock as it is.
My dealer told me that the first copies he received were reserved for Sony professionals, hope mine is next. OTOH, I am wondering if I should hold out for possible new announcements of the 500 or 600 f4 versions, or maybe even Sony's own 200-400 f4. I am sure they are working on these.

iiiNelson

My dealer told me that the first copies he received were reserved for Sony professionals, hope mine is next. OTOH, I am wondering if I should hold out for possible new announcements of the 500 or 600 f4 versions, or maybe even Sony's own 200-400 f4. I am sure they are working on these.
That seems very plausible. It’s easily the best constructed (from the outside at least) lens that I’ve seen with a Sony badge on it. I imagine that it takes a bit of time to make the 400/2.8 GM. I’m really hoping they make a 200-500 or 600 with a constant f/5.6 or so for around $2k or so. It would handle most of my telephoto needs alongside a 70-200/2.8.

Pradeep

Finally got mine this week. Opened the box today and tried it on. It is raining and very gloomy outside, so not much opportunity to take pictures.

What strikes me immediately is the build quality. Absolutely top notch, slightly matte finish, not bright white like Canon, but a very pleasing off-white color. Mounted on the A9, it feels surprisingly light. I can hold the entire combo and dangle it from my index finger hooked into the lens foot. Overall heft and weight is very manageable. I am just shy of 5'5" and not muscular at all. Still, can easily carry it and hand-hold it. Despite being much bigger and heavier than the 100-400 GM or the 70-200 FM 2.8, it does not feel that much bulkier somehow. The balance is beautiful. Yes, it will start to feel heavy if carried for a long time, but I can easily see it getting good use from the typical safari vehicle or boat in Africa where you do not use a tripod/monopod but have to constantly heave it up from the seat.

I can only imagine what Sony's version of the 200-400 or the 600 f4 would be. Interestingly, the lens war is heating up in terms of weight. Canon's latest 400 2.8 MkIII is actually 50gm lighter than Sony's, their 600 f4 MkIII is two lbs lighter than the older MkII. If Sony's products are in line with their current trajectory, I expect their 600 f4 to come in around the same weight as the 400 2.8 which would be amazing. If they can also make their own 200-400 Extender and bring it in around the same weight as the 400 2.8 (or lighter), they would have an incredible line-up. Long lens availability is about the only thing lacking in the Sony stable - for now.

Also interesting, but OT is the way in which Sony has emerged as a market leader in FF format: see here https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/

iiiNelson

Finally got mine this week. Opened the box today and tried it on. It is raining and very gloomy outside, so not much opportunity to take pictures.

What strikes me immediately is the build quality. Absolutely top notch, slightly matte finish, not bright white like Canon, but a very pleasing off-white color. Mounted on the A9, it feels surprisingly light. I can hold the entire combo and dangle it from my index finger hooked into the lens foot. Overall heft and weight is very manageable. I am just shy of 5'5" and not muscular at all. Still, can easily carry it and hand-hold it. Despite being much bigger and heavier than the 100-400 GM or the 70-200 FM 2.8, it does not feel that much bulkier somehow. The balance is beautiful. Yes, it will start to feel heavy if carried for a long time, but I can easily see it getting good use from the typical safari vehicle or boat in Africa where you do not use a tripod/monopod but have to constantly heave it up from the seat.

I can only imagine what Sony's version of the 200-400 or the 600 f4 would be. Interestingly, the lens war is heating up in terms of weight. Canon's latest 400 2.8 MkIII is actually 50gm lighter than Sony's, their 600 f4 MkIII is two lbs lighter than the older MkII. If Sony's products are in line with their current trajectory, I expect their 600 f4 to come in around the same weight as the 400 2.8 which would be amazing. If they can also make their own 200-400 Extender and bring it in around the same weight as the 400 2.8 (or lighter), they would have an incredible line-up. Long lens availability is about the only thing lacking in the Sony stable - for now.

Also interesting, but OT is the way in which Sony has emerged as a market leader in FF format: see here https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/
Congrats on the lens and it’s hard to argue with how much Sony is doing correctly for the handful of things that could use some improvements. Performance wise and functionality wise, I have a hard time making any serious complaints regarding the cameras capability. I’ve posted in several places many of my “wish list” items but no need for us to beat that dead horse here.

doug

For a number of years circumstances have made longer trips impractical so I've concentrated on making the best possible photographs of the locally common wildlife. The common critters provide ample opportunities for trying different lighting and composition, and who knows what the future may bring? I might find that I've relocated halfway across the continent where the animals I see in central California are scarce, and I'd be kicking myself for not taking advantage of them when they're common. Likewise, unforeseen calamities might wipe out a species (there was concern about ten years ago that the West Nile virus could wipe out the indigenous Yellow-billed Magpie) and I'd have to do a lot of :banghead: if I didn't have adequate photos of the species.

With this in mind I've spent an inordinate amount of time in my backyard bird blind photographing the very common White-crowned Sparrow among other species. I'm happy with the latest photos of this bird (a7rIII, 100-400 GM):

immature White-crowned Sparrow learning to sing

adult White-crowned Sparrow​

doug

Winter visitors to Sacramento County's wilder areas include Common Goldeneye and the relatively scarce Barrow's Goldeneye, both diving ducks who breed in the northern areas of the continent.

I located a spot where the Barrow's Goldeneye like to feed, with good lighting, backgrounds, few humans and easy access. The access factor turns out to be as critical as the others because I've had to make several visits to the site to get any photos I like.

On my first visit to scout the location I didn't have a blind with me so the birds wanted nothing more than to stay away.
On my second visit, I brought camouflage netting which showed some promise but I had limited time available.
On my third visit I brought the netting and a comfortable ground-level seat but the netting was insufficient to allow the ducks to be comfortable with the two-legged intruder.
On my fourth visit I brought the seat and a more substantial portable blind. This did the trick. And I was glad I'd kept a comfortable backpack in the camper.

All: Sony a7rIII, FE 100-400 GM