The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Long Lenses

doug

Western Bluebird
14 February 2019
Sacramento County California

both: a7rIII, FE 100-400 GM

doug

American Dipper, Sierra County California
a7rIII, 100-400 GM

Wilson's Snipe, Plumas County California
a7rIII, 100-400 GM

Ruddy Duck, Plumas County California
a7rIII, 100-400 GM

doug

A few critters from Cochise County Arizona

hunting for bugs

hey, what's this?

a snack!

all photos: a7rIII, FE 100-400 GM

doug

My first photo made with the 1.4x extender (on a7rIII + 100-400 GM)

mermer25.jpg

Last edited:

doug

Marin County California, 04 October 2019

melmel02.jpg

poeruf00.jpg

butjam22.jpg

all: a7rIII, FE 100-400 GM
hawk: 1.4x extender

Last edited:

stngoldberg

Just sold my Nikon 500mm f4 after more than a ten year relationship; we had a love affair, but lately the relationship became too heavy for me. I turned 80 and realized I needed a change....something lighter...something faster...something more youthful.
After a few days of speed dating, I fell for the Sony 200-600mm lens. She is sleek and all of her parts seem to suit me...especially her focus ring which is only a quarter turn to fully zoom.
I realize that I am going to be tortured learning the menu system on the Sony A9; however true love never runs smooth...I am old enough to understand that
Stanley

k-hawinkler

Just sold my Nikon 500mm f4 after more than a ten year relationship; we had a love affair, but lately the relationship became too heavy for me. I turned 80 and realized I needed a change....something lighter...something faster...something more youthful.
After a few days of speed dating, I fell for the Sony 200-600mm lens. She is sleek and all of her parts seem to suit me...especially her focus ring which is only a quarter turn to fully zoom.
I realize that I am going to be tortured learning the menu system on the Sony A9; however true love never runs smooth...I am old enough to understand that
Stanley
Hi Stanley, age wise you are not that much ahead of me. So, make sure you have FW version 6.0 on your Sony A9. I have setup my A9 such that “My Menu” comes up first when I go into the Menu. And I have important Menu items collected here. Works like a charm. Good luck to you. BTW the electronic silent shutter is the one that does it for me. WOW!

doug

The last thing a seed will ever see

zonatr13.jpg

a7rIII, 100-400 GM

Last edited:

doug

first 600/4 post (on a7rIII)
I can tell already the image detail possible with this lens is limited by technique and the camera's 42MP sensor

falper15.jpg

Last edited:

iiiNelson

first 600/4 post (on a7rIII)
I can tell already the image detail possible with this lens is limited by technique and the camera's 42MP sensor

I believe I read (or listened to) in an interview that lenses designed starting with the 24 GM (which would include the 135 GM and 600 GM) were designed to resolve on cameras with greater than 150 megapixels. Judging from that interview I suspect that is why we are seeing cameras like the A7RIV with its 26 megapixel crop mode which would provide a 900mm FOV equivalent.

doug

Ross's Goose with air brakes (big webbed feet) deployed

Colusa County California
25 November 2019

all: a7rIII, FE 600/4 GM

ansros15.jpg

ansros22.jpg

ansros23.jpg

Last edited:

doug

Northern Shoveler
27 November 2019
Colusa County California

all: a7rIII, FE 600/4 GM

spacly16.jpg

spacly17.jpg

spacly26.jpg

Last edited:

doug

in a nearby pond, 11 December 2019

all: a7rIII, FE 600mm f/4 G Master, tripod, camo netting for a blind.

doug

bucisl09.jpg
male Barrow's Goldeneye

bucisl10.jpg
female Barrow's Goldeneye

bucisl11.jpg
taking a sip of water

bucisl12.jpg
demonstrating the Floating Wing Stretch trick

all: a7rIII, 600/4 GM, tripod, comfy camp chair, camo netting.

Last edited: