Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 101 to 126 of 126

Thread: Future Sony FE Bodies

  1. #101
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    4,261
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Future Sony FE Bodies

    Thanks Peter for an honest and interesting post.

    My interests are a bit different and I can see 3 or 4 different systems of possible interest to me, namely:

    • Olympus 4/3, m4/3 (E-M1.2 first mirrorless camera no focus hunting)
    • Fuji APS-C, great lenses. No current plans to get into though.
    • Sony APS-C & FF, FE lenses doing double duty, many adapted lenses.
    • Fuji GFX 100 maybe in my future.

    The Sony A9 - without peer - is currently my favorite camera for action and wildlife/birding as well as general photography. Fast and accurate focus 60 times per s, up tp 20 FPS if the lens can handle it, no rolling shutter artifacts, quiet, blackout free, terrific Eye-AF, Excellent IQ.

    My wish for future Sony bodies:

    • A9r (more pixels)
    • A9000 (A9-like APS-C camera), 24 MP, Global Electronic Shutter (GS)

    A future Olympus E-M1.3 needs to adapt Sony's A9-type technologies.

    Impressive tele lenses IMHO:

    • Olympus 150/2 SHG, 300/4 Pro + 1.4x TC
    • Fuji XF 200/2 (presumably)
    • FE 100-400/4.5-5.6, FE 400/2.8 + 1.4x, 2x TCs.
    GF 250/4 + GF1.4x

    The Olympus and Sony systems I own have excellent WA from 10mm up, normal, short tele, and macro lenses, primes and zooms.

    My favorite TechArt Pro (TAP) autofocus adapted lenses on A9 and A7r.2 are:

    • CV15/4.5
    • Leica WATE 16-18-21/4
    • Nikkor 28/1.4
    • Leica Vario Elmar-R 35-70/4
    • Nikkor 50/1.2
    • Micro-Nikkor 55/2.8
    • Noct-Nikkor 58/1.2
    • Leica APO-Summicron-M 75/2 ASPH.
    • Leica Summilux-R 80/1.4

    Two special native lenses worth pointing out are:

    • PL Nocticron m4/3 42.5/1.2
    • Sony FE 90/2.8 Macro G OSS

    In connection with the Fujifilm GFX 100 these GF lenses seem worth a consideration:

    • Fujifilm GF 23mm f/4 R LM WR Lens
    • Fujifilm GF 32-64mm f/4 R LM WR Lens
    • Fujifilm GF 110mm f/2 R LM WR Lens
    • Fujifilm GF 120mm f/4 Macro R LM OIS WR Lens
    • Fujifilm GF 250mm f/4 R LM OIS WR Lens
    • Fujifilm GF 1.4X TC WR Teleconverter

    At this time the new Canikon mirrorless cameras don't have much of my attention. The Leica L effort with Panasonic and Sigma might deserve a closer look by next Easter.

    Peter, thanks again for your post.
    With best regards, K-H.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  2. #102
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Masías (Spain)
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Future Sony FE Bodies

    Frankly, I'm absolutely stunned with the quality I got from my A7R II and my Zeiss lenses but I am also fed up with fighting the camera body. I just can't get used to it, it's like it's been designed to be refractary to my hands :-o

    So, I'm much more than tempted to go Fuji now that the GFX systems are at my financial reach. I don't know if I will eventually do it, I hate the idea of start selling all my Sony/Zeiss stuff, so stressful.

    So, to answer the OP question: yes, I'd like to see a bigger FE body.
    Flickr page
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  3. #103
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    4,137
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Future Sony FE Bodies

    Looks like maybe those that have been awaiting a set of smaller/compact medium speed lenses may eventually be served by future Sigma lenses. My guess is that some of those exclusive non-DSLR derived lenses previously mentioned for the L-Mount may arrive in other FF Mirrorless mounts as well. This would probably be a smart move on Sigma’s part to not be exclusively tied to the commercial success of the L-Mount cameras... and naturally DSLR’s will likely become more of a niche offering over the next 5-15 years or so.

    https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/simg...e-lens-launch/
    Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  4. #104
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    4,137
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Future Sony FE Bodies

    Makes you wonder if there’s a A9R/A9S in the works... or if these are slated for their cinema/pro digital video cameras.

    https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-...frame-sensors/
    Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  5. #105
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    636
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Future Sony FE Bodies

    Very interesting. Looks like the next A7r will have the 60MPx sensor. Hope the A9 also either gets a higher res sensor (though hard to imagine how they would be able to write all that data at 20 fps) or the A7rX will have better PDAF. That is my biggest want at this time - high res, with fast AF.
    Too much to list, let's just say I have a bad case of GAS.........

  6. #106
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    4,137
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Future Sony FE Bodies

    Quote Originally Posted by Pradeep View Post
    Very interesting. Looks like the next A7r will have the 60MPx sensor. Hope the A9 also either gets a higher res sensor (though hard to imagine how they would be able to write all that data at 20 fps) or the A7rX will have better PDAF. That is my biggest want at this time - high res, with fast AF.
    I think the 60mp camera is rumored to shoot at 12fps instead of 20fps. Maybe that’s the solution and it’s still fast enough for sports/wildlife more than likely.
    Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  7. #107
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    4,137
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Future Sony FE Bodies

    Interview with a Sony Manager

    https://www.amateurphotographer.co.u...EVmxfZrzd2q.99

    My takeaway is that they're going to run the course the way they feel is best unless the market dictates differently. I hope they don't become complacent and/or arrogant while currently remaining in their leading position. Sony listening to the feedback from and engaging with owners/community members is one of the main reasons they are in their current position - the dismissive response of "maybe people should go to other brands..." versus the discussion of the possibility of providing a solution to fit the needs for a group of photographers that otherwise like your products is EXACTLY how they can easily lose the #1 spot.

    ...and all of this JUST after I sort of made up my mind recently to just commit to where I am with Sony and quell the realistic potential of the possibility of going to another system.
    Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  8. #108
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,662
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    52

    Re: Future Sony FE Bodies

    Quote Originally Posted by iiiNelson View Post
    Interview with a Sony Manager

    https://www.amateurphotographer.co.u...EVmxfZrzd2q.99

    My takeaway is that they're going to run the course the way they feel is best unless the market dictates differently. I hope they don't become complacent and/or arrogant while currently remaining in their leading position. Sony listening to the feedback from and engaging with owners/community members is one of the main reasons they are in their current position - the dismissive response of "maybe people should go to other brands..." versus the discussion of the possibility of providing a solution to fit the needs for a group of photographers that otherwise like your products is EXACTLY how they can easily lose the #1 spot.

    ...and all of this JUST after I sort of made up my mind recently to just commit to where I am with Sony and quell the realistic potential of the possibility of going to another system.
    Funny how two people reading same article can arrive at different conclusions. I thought that the Sony spokesperson was merely underlining what customer feedback was to Sony and that was for 'small' is better. Sony has probably reinvigorated if not 'saved' the camera industry by pioneering mirror-less tech into mainstream and it is good to hear them wanting a healthy industry and choice for customers. I'll say it again - if I were starting from scratch and didnt have a bunch of Leica glass or any interest in MF - Sony would be the clear standout - so many models and so much real choice for every photographic need.

    They also 'clip the ticket' on so many participants in the industry via supplying chips to other manufacturers - very few other manufacturers can afford to ignore the Sony chip value propositions and those that do have to charge big premiums - see Leica in 35mmFF via SL and M systems.

    I will say though that the form factor of Sony cameras doens't suit me at all - too small for my hands - which is the reason why I am not fully into Sony for 35mm uses - that and the fact that my existing Leica M lenses perform better on the SL and CL than on any other lens ponies - but they aren't autofocus ...

  9. #109
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    4,137
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Future Sony FE Bodies

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Funny how two people reading same article can arrive at different conclusions. I thought that the Sony spokesperson was merely underlining what customer feedback was to Sony and that was for 'small' is better. Sony has probably reinvigorated if not 'saved' the camera industry by pioneering mirror-less tech into mainstream and it is good to hear them wanting a healthy industry and choice for customers. I'll say it again - if I were starting from scratch and didnt have a bunch of Leica glass or any interest in MF - Sony would be the clear standout - so many models and so much real choice for every photographic need.

    They also 'clip the ticket' on so many participants in the industry via supplying chips to other manufacturers - very few other manufacturers can afford to ignore the Sony chip value propositions and those that do have to charge big premiums - see Leica in 35mmFF via SL and M systems.

    I will say though that the form factor of Sony cameras doens't suit me at all - too small for my hands - which is the reason why I am not fully into Sony for 35mm uses - that and the fact that my existing Leica M lenses perform better on the SL and CL than on any other lens ponies - but they aren't autofocus ...
    Yeah I read those same things too but I was merely focused on my own wish list of things for future Sony bodies.

    Regarding the size of bodies without the grip. They’re fine for the f/1.8 and f/2 (or slower) lenses but when you get to the Sony Zeiss or G-Master lenses then a slightly larger body would be desired (by me).

    Maybe there’s still room to make of of those decisions in the future and I too want a healthy camera industry - I can’t ignore that it got unhealthy from a lack of innovation and a resistance to improved technology changes from Canon and Nikon. Smartphones also played a huge part in the now niche compact camera market.

    Regarding Leica lenses... I divested myself from those years ago. I wouldn’t mind having something else as good at the 35/2 version 5 for an everyday walk around prime (the 35/2 Loxia is the weakest lens of the Loxia bunch IMO) but the 24/1.4 GM will likely pair well with the 55/1.8 for a 2 lens kit. Hopefully I’ll have one to test out in the next few weeks.
    Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  10. #110
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,662
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    52

    Re: Future Sony FE Bodies

    Quote Originally Posted by iiiNelson View Post
    Yeah I read those same things too but I was merely focused on my own wish list of things for future Sony bodies.

    Regarding the size of bodies without the grip. They’re fine for the f/1.8 and f/2 (or slower) lenses but when you get to the Sony Zeiss or G-Master lenses then a slightly larger body would be desired (by me).

    Maybe there’s still room to make of of those decisions in the future and I too want a healthy camera industry - I can’t ignore that it got unhealthy from a lack of innovation and a resistance to improved technology changes from Canon and Nikon. Smartphones also played a huge part in the now niche compact camera market.

    Regarding Leica lenses... I divested myself from those years ago. I wouldn’t mind having something else as good at the 35/2 version 5 for an everyday walk around prime (the 35/2 Loxia is the weakest lens of the Loxia bunch IMO) but the 24/1.4 GM will likely pair well with the 55/1.8 for a 2 lens kit. Hopefully I’ll have one to test out in the next few weeks.
    Funny thing is the cropped sensor from XT3 and CL - breathes a different ( new) life into cerrtain M lenses I rarely use - eg the 90 Apo Summicron is frankly too hard to foucs wide open for portraits on an M ( I dont care to discuss the issue with all the old school Leica chest puffers who scream diferently ) it has a focus plane as tiny as the Noctilux wide open - except unlike the Nocti - it is razor sharp wide open since that is the aperture it was designed to shoot at ( just like all summilux lenses) ...so on teh XT-3 or CL . I ahve (effectively) a 135/2 which renders as well as the monster Zeis 135/1.8

    my 'dirty littele secret' is relatively small form glass from Leica M with impeccable drawing characteristics and sharpness able to be used on FF SL or apc - without loss of resolution or quality in apc- same cant be said of wider glass the M lenses smear quite noticeably on all camera alternative I've tried...

    So long story short - the onluy lens I think is redundant from my M collection is teh WATE - it is on the by e by e list.

    Quality of galss is not an issue with Sony - size factor for quality is i think firmly on teh side of Fuji in apc and MF and Leica in M - liek for like I dont think Sony or anyone alse can match the 50 lux SL beast I just picked up- best autofocus 50 I've ever owned - and since 50 is my favourite focal length - I've owned the lot- Otus 55 was sold last week....

  11. #111
    Vivek
    Guest

    Re: Future Sony FE Bodies

    This is how exciting a potential new Sony camera has become nowadays...
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  12. #112
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    4,137
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Future Sony FE Bodies

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Funny thing is the cropped sensor from XT3 and CL - breathes a different ( new) life into cerrtain M lenses I rarely use - eg the 90 Apo Summicron is frankly too hard to foucs wide open for portraits on an M ( I dont care to discuss the issue with all the old school Leica chest puffers who scream diferently ) it has a focus plane as tiny as the Noctilux wide open - except unlike the Nocti - it is razor sharp wide open since that is the aperture it was designed to shoot at ( just like all summilux lenses) ...so on teh XT-3 or CL . I ahve (effectively) a 135/2 which renders as well as the monster Zeis 135/1.8

    my 'dirty littele secret' is relatively small form glass from Leica M with impeccable drawing characteristics and sharpness able to be used on FF SL or apc - without loss of resolution or quality in apc- same cant be said of wider glass the M lenses smear quite noticeably on all camera alternative I've tried...

    So long story short - the onluy lens I think is redundant from my M collection is teh WATE - it is on the by e by e list.

    Quality of galss is not an issue with Sony - size factor for quality is i think firmly on teh side of Fuji in apc and MF and Leica in M - liek for like I dont think Sony or anyone alse can match the 50 lux SL beast I just picked up- best autofocus 50 I've ever owned - and since 50 is my favourite focal length - I've owned the lot- Otus 55 was sold last week....
    Yeah I used my 90 Summicron Pre-AA a lot on my NEX-5 and like you said it was great. Same can be said with the CV 35/1.2 Nokton II, Zeiss 50/2 and/or 50 Summilux. It was the initial reason I bought into Sony FE but a weird thing happened... I actually bought the native 55/1.8 and found it to not give up much to the 50 Summilux in size, optical quality, withbthe added benefit of autofocus. I hated the 35/2.8 and the 24-70/4 (mostly for priceerformance reasons) but outside of those I hadn’t found many Sony FE lenses I didn’t care for.
    Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  13. #113
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    636
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Future Sony FE Bodies

    Quote Originally Posted by iiiNelson View Post
    I think the 60mp camera is rumored to shoot at 12fps instead of 20fps. Maybe that’s the solution and it’s still fast enough for sports/wildlife more than likely.

    More than enough. I have only rarely used my A9 at its full 20fps capacity, simply eats up the card too fast, but when I need it, it's very useful.
    Too much to list, let's just say I have a bad case of GAS.........
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  14. #114
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    636
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Future Sony FE Bodies

    Quote Originally Posted by iiiNelson View Post
    Yeah I read those same things too but I was merely focused on my own wish list of things for future Sony bodies.

    Regarding the size of bodies without the grip. They’re fine for the f/1.8 and f/2 (or slower) lenses but when you get to the Sony Zeiss or G-Master lenses then a slightly larger body would be desired (by me).

    Maybe there’s still room to make of of those decisions in the future and I too want a healthy camera industry - I can’t ignore that it got unhealthy from a lack of innovation and a resistance to improved technology changes from Canon and Nikon. Smartphones also played a huge part in the now niche compact camera market.

    Regarding Leica lenses... I divested myself from those years ago. I wouldn’t mind having something else as good at the 35/2 version 5 for an everyday walk around prime (the 35/2 Loxia is the weakest lens of the Loxia bunch IMO) but the 24/1.4 GM will likely pair well with the 55/1.8 for a 2 lens kit. Hopefully I’ll have one to test out in the next few weeks.
    I just spent two weeks in the company of photo buddies of mine on a trip. One is a Nikon shooter and the other Canon. We were a large group and as expected there was a mix of brands, with the sole Sony user being myself. The team leader was a Nikon Ambassador, well known and respected.

    What was interesting from my perspective was the enthusiasm going around for the Z7 and the Canon R. The Canon friend had brought his and the team leader has been promoting the virtues of the Z7. They were thrilled with the arrival of Mirrorless bodies, the EVF and the small size, the new lenses coming etc. I was quiet amused. I lost no opportunity to rib them about their previous dissing of the Sony and the current excitement over the, IMHO less capable offerings from the main brands.

    We all love our own babies, don't we? I am now firmly in the Sony camp and very happy to have made the switch. Nothing and nobody's perfect of course and competition is always good for growth. Being an ex Leica M user myself, I don't miss it one bit. Sony glass, again IMHO, is about as sharp as I need.
    Too much to list, let's just say I have a bad case of GAS.........
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  15. #115
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    155
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Future Sony FE Bodies

    I went to a photography workshop recently and nobody really talked about their cameras. We talked about our images. No brand ambassadors were present though.

  16. #116
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    pegelli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,721
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Future Sony FE Bodies

    I was at a David Yarrow event in Antwerp yesterday. It's no secret he is a Nikon shooter (and ambassador). However at the opening event of the exhibition a Sony A7 or A9 (don't know exactly which, too far away) coupled with a 24-70/4 was laying on his table and all the filming of the event was done with a Panasonic. I think he understands the principle of "horses for courses".
    My Pics
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  17. #117
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    636
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Future Sony FE Bodies

    Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    I went to a photography workshop recently and nobody really talked about their cameras. We talked about our images. No brand ambassadors were present though.
    When you are forced to spend two weeks on a ship of which ten days are on the open seas there is not much image making to do. People then talk about gear, politics, religion and food. Almost all of us being Americans, you can imagine what the politics was about! That is one discussion I absolutely avoid anywhere I go

    Talking gear is so much more fun
    Too much to list, let's just say I have a bad case of GAS.........
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  18. #118
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    636
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Future Sony FE Bodies

    Quote Originally Posted by pegelli View Post
    I was at a David Yarrow event in Antwerp yesterday. It's no secret he is a Nikon shooter (and ambassador). However at the opening event of the exhibition a Sony A7 or A9 (don't know exactly which, too far away) coupled with a 24-70/4 was laying on his table and all the filming of the event was done with a Panasonic. I think he understands the principle of "horses for courses".
    Absolutely.

    For us mere mortals though, it is much easier (as I've discovered over the years) to stick to just one system for everything, if possible. It may not be perfect, but if it can do most of what I want it to, I am happy.
    Too much to list, let's just say I have a bad case of GAS.........
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  19. #119
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    pegelli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,721
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Future Sony FE Bodies

    Quote Originally Posted by Pradeep View Post
    Absolutely.

    For us mere mortals though, it is much easier (as I've discovered over the years) to stick to just one system for everything, if possible. It may not be perfect, but if it can do most of what I want it to, I am happy.
    Fully agree Pradeep. It's David's job and he needs to pay a whole organisation and field assistants, make a living and have money left to support the charities that help him take the great shots he produces. For him the cost of cameras is only a very minor portion of his total cost, so he's wise enough to choose what's right for the specific job and increase his chances of getting the shots and movies that he needs.

    But I'm like you, I only shoot for fun and make pictures that are just for me. If someone on a forum likes them that's just an encouraging bonus but far from essential. One decent system of any brand can deliver that for me and almost by accident it ended up being Sony today. I know it and like it but if I would have spent the same amount of time with a different brand I don't think my images would be significantly different, and that's because I'm the limit to the quality of my photos and it's never the gear.
    My Pics
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  20. #120
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    636
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Future Sony FE Bodies

    Quote Originally Posted by pegelli View Post
    Fully agree Pradeep. It's David's job and he needs to pay a whole organisation and field assistants, make a living and have money left to support the charities that help him take the great shots he produces. For him the cost of cameras is only a very minor portion of his total cost, so he's wise enough to choose what's right for the specific job and increase his chances of getting the shots and movies that he needs.

    But I'm like you, I only shoot for fun and make pictures that are just for me. If someone on a forum likes them that's just an encouraging bonus but far from essential. One decent system of any brand can deliver that for me and almost by accident it ended up being Sony today. I know it and like it but if I would have spent the same amount of time with a different brand I don't think my images would be significantly different, and that's because I'm the limit to the quality of my photos and it's never the gear.


    Agree completely!
    Too much to list, let's just say I have a bad case of GAS.........

  21. #121
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    4,137
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Future Sony FE Bodies

    I thought I’d revisit this thread since the A9 Firmware Announcements are now known for a couple of weeks now. IMO they are great and make what is arguably the best performing FF camera even better.

    What they dont address are the camera size (for some using larger/heavier lenses) and the 5fps mechanical shuttter. Even still it’s a unique camera made even moreso through software.
    Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  22. #122
    Senior Member seb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    452
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    19

    Re: Future Sony FE Bodies

    Quote Originally Posted by iiiNelson View Post
    I thought I’d revisit this thread since the A9 Firmware Announcements are now known for a couple of weeks now. IMO they are great and make what is arguably the best performing FF camera even better.

    What they dont address are the camera size (for some using larger/heavier lenses) and the 5fps mechanical shuttter. Even still it’s a unique camera made even moreso through software.
    I live on the other side of the innovation-river. Therefore I'm looking at the river and see how the water flows in the right direction.
    It's amazing to compare the a7 from 2013 with an a9 and the future firmware update. My needs were fulfilled with the a7RII. Of course, it would be nice to have the AF of an a9 or even an a9 with 20fps mechanical shutter. But I'm wether a professional event-photographer nor a sports/wildlife-photographer.

    There is one thing the announcement of the a9 firmware update made me curious: Sony told the a7SIII will come but it will take some time. Just think of the combination of an a7sIII with AF/FPS of a9...
    Flickr
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  23. #123
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    4,137
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Future Sony FE Bodies

    Quote Originally Posted by seb View Post
    I live on the other side of the innovation-river. Therefore I'm looking at the river and see how the water flows in the right direction.
    It's amazing to compare the a7 from 2013 with an a9 and the future firmware update. My needs were fulfilled with the a7RII. Of course, it would be nice to have the AF of an a9 or even an a9 with 20fps mechanical shutter. But I'm wether a professional event-photographer nor a sports/wildlife-photographer.

    There is one thing the announcement of the a9 firmware update made me curious: Sony told the a7SIII will come but it will take some time. Just think of the combination of an a7sIII with AF/FPS of a9...
    Yeah I think the A7SIII May come in a larger body but I fear it’ll have the fully articulating screen that many vloggers constantly complain about in EVERY camera. For me the S1/S1R seemingly have the “perfect” body (save for the LCD top plate screen with the Knight Rider tech). I just want Sony to introduce something similar to that so that (and by similar I mean nearly a carbon copy is shape, size, and strength) I don’t feel I need to switch systems.
    Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  24. #124
    Senior Member seb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    452
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    19

    Re: Future Sony FE Bodies

    Quote Originally Posted by iiiNelson View Post
    Yeah I think the A7SIII May come in a larger body but I fear it’ll have the fully articulating screen that many vloggers constantly complain about in EVERY camera. For me the S1/S1R seemingly have the “perfect” body (save for the LCD top plate screen with the Knight Rider tech). I just want Sony to introduce something similar to that so that (and by similar I mean nearly a carbon copy is shape, size, and strength) I don’t feel I need to switch systems.
    The formfactor of the body and also things like the fully articulating screen are individual preferences. I'm using a GP-X1EM to enlarge the body and I'm fine with that. The screen is hardly touched. If I need it, it's often limited. I would love to have a fully articulating screen. But that's me. Others think different about it.

    If it is about future bodies I'm more curious about low light performance, dynamic range, AF-accuracy, speed, video-capability, customization, ... With the a7SIII I'll expect all of that on a new level or at least on a9 quality...
    Camera size of the a7SIII? I don't care.
    Flickr
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  25. #125
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    636
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Future Sony FE Bodies

    For me the articulating screen of the Sony cameras has been a significant factor in my choice. I love the low perspective it offers, just flip it up and lower the camera - with a smallish lens it is very easy to hold it in that position forever. From game drive vehicles too, it is possible to lean out a little and lower the camera. Gives you a much better composition, at eye-level with the animals usually.

    My wish list would be:

    1. Improve the AF and tracking abilities of the a7r3 to equal that of the a9. At present is is not good enough for wildlife and birds. I don't mind the slower fps. I tend to crop a lot in post and the higher resolution would be a huge plus.

    2. Continue to improve the low-light (High ISO) performance across the line.

    3. Continue to improve the already stellar AF of the a9

    4. Already granted, but I do hope the much talked about eye-AF for animals works the way they claim it would. That is truly a game changer, especially when the DOF with large lenses is so shallow.

    5. Keep the bodies compact - this is my personal wish, I know Tre and others want bigger bodies - but hey, I have small hands.

    Everything else is gravy, and tastes very good
    Too much to list, let's just say I have a bad case of GAS.........
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  26. #126
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    4,137
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Future Sony FE Bodies

    Quote Originally Posted by Pradeep View Post
    For me the articulating screen of the Sony cameras has been a significant factor in my choice. I love the low perspective it offers, just flip it up and lower the camera - with a smallish lens it is very easy to hold it in that position forever. From game drive vehicles too, it is possible to lean out a little and lower the camera. Gives you a much better composition, at eye-level with the animals usually.

    My wish list would be:

    1. Improve the AF and tracking abilities of the a7r3 to equal that of the a9. At present is is not good enough for wildlife and birds. I don't mind the slower fps. I tend to crop a lot in post and the higher resolution would be a huge plus.

    2. Continue to improve the low-light (High ISO) performance across the line.

    3. Continue to improve the already stellar AF of the a9

    4. Already granted, but I do hope the much talked about eye-AF for animals works the way they claim it would. That is truly a game changer, especially when the DOF with large lenses is so shallow.

    5. Keep the bodies compact - this is my personal wish, I know Tre and others want bigger bodies - but hey, I have small hands.

    Everything else is gravy, and tastes very good
    For the record I don’t want all of the bodies larger. Just want Sony to either enlarge the A9 line or for them to release an “Alpha Pro” type camera that is in line with the Panasonic LUMIX S Cameras. I’m fine with continuing to make a smaller body because it’s desired and works for many. I’d just like a larger bodies option that worked natively with FE lenses that’s larger than the A9 but smaller than an A99... so like A77 or XH1 sized maybe.
    Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •