The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Future Sony FE Bodies

iiiNelson

Go towards the end (“flicker reduction”)of this article:

http://www.rossharvey.com/reviews/nikon-z7-review

Atleast, as far as stills, it seems to work.
Yeah I was listening to camera reviewers at the Nikon events the last two days that aren’t Nikon Ambassadors without one single critical thing to say... to the point they’re justifying why people shouldn’t even want two XQD cards. Everything is “perfect and better” than anything else on the market at any price despite others stating it’s a good camera with flaws. Also the idea that the f/1.8 are magically performing like f/1.4 without a larger sensor - yeah I don’t trust his opinions at all... especially when there’s clearly vignetting at the edges of the frame in many pictures (even with the larger mount that lets in more light). He started off saying the right things though and he may be honest in how he feels about the camera but nothing he raves about isn’t true of most other Mirrorless cameras.

Now I will say the 35mm looks like a winner of a lens and the IQ of the camera is very good but I’ve seen two reviews from three different sources (with direct video evidence) stating how the AF is good but doesn’t keep up with generation 3 Sony’s and are closer to the generation 2 Cameras.

I don’t doubt there are situations where it works but it’s not 100% on any camera. There are times on the A9 and XH1 where flicker isn’t an issue and there are times it is.

Don’t get me wrong - I wanted this camera to be better than it actually is because I wanted Nikon to ACTUALLY advance the market but this is exactly what I expected. Nikon people will declare it’s the second coming of the lord and talk about how great all the “redefined” Mirrorless features are that I’ve (and others) been enjoying for the last 3-10 years with cameras from Sony, Fuji, Leica, and Micro 4/3

Uaiomex

I think Nikon's mirrorless FF first try is a little disappointing but mainly because we have the A73 and A7R3.
So, actually Nikon is only 18 months behind. They will catch up I think.

Ed

k-hawinkler

I think Nikon's mirrorless FF first try is a little disappointing but mainly because we have the A73 and A7R3.
So, actually Nikon is only 18 months behind. They will catch up I think.

Ed

Nah, the A9 plays in a different league. :thumbs:

iiiNelson

Truthfully I’d also like to see Sony produce an inspired APS-C lens lineup as well and maybe even an A6 (in the same body type as the A7/A9) that’s like an APS-C A9 for $1500-2000 that goes head up with the Fuji, Nikon, and Canon cameras.

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Truthfully I’d also like to see Sony produce an inspired APS-C lens lineup as well and maybe even an A6 (in the same body type as the A7/A9) that’s like an APS-C A9 for $1500-2000 that goes head up with theFuji, Nikon, and Canon cameras.
Yup! :clap:

seb

Well let's go back 5 years. Sony released two FF-mirrorless cameras and both were full of flaws and could not catch up with their DSLR counterparts. They had awful battery life, bad AF, one card slot and it took seconds just to turn the camera on.

We can blame Nikon being late. But it's never too late and those two cameras are a good start. Give them a chance and even though they are not the best choice for an FF-MILC at the moment I would recommend them to others as an alternative.

pegelli

Right seb, full of flaws but I'm still using one today (picked up cheaply second hand 16 month ago) and for me it's still a hell of a camera that produces results I'm very happy with.

Same with the new Nikon's, they might have flaws and be behind camera X, Y or Z, but they're probably still awesome picture making machines. We'll see how they hold up when the public at large gets them in their hands, but I have very few doubts about that.

V

Vivek

Give them a chance and even though they are not the best choice for an FF-MILC at the moment I would recommend them to others as an alternative.
Why?

One can always wait couple of more years for them get everything right..

An alternative would be A7rII (new or used). Lot cheaper and better.

seb

Why?

One can always wait couple of more years for them get everything right..

An alternative would be A7rII (new or used). Lot cheaper and better.
I don't know why because the cameras are not released and therefore no serious tests/reviews available.
Just to point on some (unproofed) things: Because of 10-bit 4k filming? Internal focus stack? No star-eater algorithm? Nikon menu? People are different and also their reasons to choose a camera. IMO the z6/z7 are good enough to be named as an alternative to the Sony Alphas. If I should recommend only one FF-MILC it would be the one you pointed at.

V

Vivek

Nikon menu? Let the menu diving begins! :LOL:
With so many capabilities, this is inevitable for any camera system (with exception of Leica but of course they are not worried about technical advances).

There has been no definitive word on the absence of a star eater on these. Let us hope that there isn’t one present.

That stacking is restricted to few new lenses. Nice option to have though.

iiiNelson

Well let's go back 5 years. Sony released two FF-mirrorless cameras and both were full of flaws and could not catch up with their DSLR counterparts. They had awful battery life, bad AF, one card slot and it took seconds just to turn the camera on.

We can blame Nikon being late. But it's never too late and those two cameras are a good start. Give them a chance and even though they are not the best choice for an FF-MILC at the moment I would recommend them to others as an alternative.
Well the reality is that I previously said they are/will turn out to be probably good cameras but the reality is this isn’t 5 years ago. I feel like Nikon intentionally held back on producing the best Mirrorless they could and made the camera an accessory to their DSLR’s and that’s fine for existing Nikon owners but it’s not enticing new users. It may very well backfire but it may work out well for them too. I don’t know but I am not really impressed that they didn’t attempt to advance the market further personally.

seb

Well the reality is that I previously said they are/will turn out to be probably good cameras but the reality is this isn’t 5 years ago. I feel like Nikon intentionally held back on producing the best Mirrorless they could and made the camera an accessory to their DSLR’s and that’s fine for existing Nikon owners but it’s not enticing new users. It may very well backfire but it may work out well for them too. I don’t know but I am not really impressed that they didn’t attempt to advance the market further personally.
It's a technology poker. Sony currently holds most of the pot and the pool is quite high. Even if Nikon has good cards it may be good to start with a lower raise:

- With those cameras they give something to the Nikon-DSLR community: Someone who has a Nikon glass but no mirrorless may rather buy now a z-camera than a sony.
- They can test their product in the market and get feedback: testing is one of the most expensive parts in development.
- They can look into the cards of Canon and Sony before addressing to the pros: At least Sony will answer with a better body. Canon will be now the last in the game which is always a bad idea.
- The accessories need to be developed as well: Nikon can release develop and release Z-lenses in a longer term.

Tactically they made the best move in my opinion. But I'm with you. I would have prefered an all-in strategy. Nikon, give us what you have.

Cheers, Seb (who never plays poker at all)

V

Vivek

Yes, it is Canon offering that will set things in motion.

Hopefully, they will price their’s aggressively to put pressure on Sony and Nikon.

iiiNelson

It's a technology poker. Sony currently holds most of the pot and the pool is quite high. Even if Nikon has good cards it may be good to start with a lower raise:

- With those cameras they give something to the Nikon-DSLR community: Someone who has a Nikon glass but no mirrorless may rather buy now a z-camera than a sony.
- They can test their product in the market and get feedback: testing is one of the most expensive parts in development.
- They can look into the cards of Canon and Sony before addressing to the pros: At least Sony will answer with a better body. Canon will be now the last in the game which is always a bad idea.
- The accessories need to be developed as well: Nikon can release develop and release Z-lenses in a longer term.

Tactically they made the best move in my opinion. But I'm with you. I would have prefered an all-in strategy. Nikon, give us what you have.

Cheers, Seb (who never plays poker at all)
i really think Canon will very likely go all in on a “pro” camera and keep the EF Mount. Won’t be a need to choose between DSLR or Mirrorless but you can have both. I can see Canon actually moving Mirrorless upmarket and possibly evencompletely getting rid of their lower end Cinema EOS Cameras for Mirrorless Cameras that won’t bw hampered in the video department to protect the Cunmea cameras... what they won’t have is the high end connections a studio needs but what they will have is likely 4k60, FF sensor, high end EVF, Dual pixel AF, and 5Dmk4 specs for stills more than likely.

I’m with Vivek in that it’s the one that should worry Sony of the Classic DSLR makers... and I’ve thought that for awhile because it’s easier for Canon users that are 100% adapting lenses to a Dony body to just sell their Sony body and adapters to go back to a native Canon Mirrorless body. I could be wrong though but that’s what I’d do if I was Canon. Make a 5d without the mirror and a top end EVF then call it good.

msadat

all of my sony cameras a7*, a9 have a grip attached to it and i don't think i have ever taken anyone off

I find that I generally shoot with the grip attached almost all the time which is what originally got me thinking about if there is a market or room for a larger or more “pro” style body for those of us that use the larger lenses. Again it doesn’t have to be as large as a pro body DSLR but I feel the slightly larger body of the Fuji XH1 is about the perfect compromise of not too big but not too small ergonomically.

iiiNelson

all of my sony cameras a7*, a9 have a grip attached to it and i don't think i have ever taken anyone off
I’ve been shooting with mine without the grip the last couple of weeks to see how I like it without the grip again and I will say it’s not bad with some of the smaller lenses. I still generally prefer it with the grip “permanently” attached though.