The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Future Sony FE Bodies

iiiNelson

And the winner of the Voidshatter Irony Award for 2018 is....
Wasn't meant as an insult - if that’s the way you took it. It was meant as a general reference to people that tend to want a specific design ethos that’s evident in the products they create.

I was also a Leica owner myself so there are specific things I liked about Leica.

PeterA

LOL. Agreed.

Fuji users can be a bit like Leica ones in a sense that they are largely committed to a brand ethos (not that it’s a problem). In fairness though the XT3 does in fact seem to actually be a huge step up for Fuji but I would like to see them improve the stability of their firmware/cameras. The day I was prepared to buy the XH1... it locked up on store on me. Brand new camera out the box and a quick google search returned this to be a common enough issue at the time that caused me to get cold feet.

My cousin shoots a pair of XT2’s for professional and personal use. Never had any issues with them in regular use for his job or pleasure. I do like the Fuji cameras for a lot of reasons but I do I find the built in grip on the XT2 to be too small for long term comfort without the vertical grip. The XT3 looks slightly larger and shaped a little differently. He is shooting parts of a documentary with the A7III (along with other digital cinema cameras) currently but he rents them as needed. He’s pretty brand agnostic but is a big Canon guy at heart - which is one of the reasons I originally went Canon to share his large selection of lenses.
LOL @ 'brand ethos' ...

Your anti Leica anti anything that isn't Sony narrative is a case study in 'sand in underpants syndrome' (not that this is a problem) :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

iiiNelson

LOL @ 'brand ethos' ...

Your anti Leica anti anything that isn't Sony narrative is a case study in 'sand in underpants syndrome' (not that this is a problem) :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
Well I'm not actually anti-Leica. I actually like the M10/Monochrom Cameras a lot. I don’t love the rest of their line up but to each their own... and yes I’m so “anti-everything that isn’t Sony” that I own and shoot with a Panasonic, Mamiya, and Minolta as well... :ROTFL:

But yeah... keep on believing what you want to believe. I just go with the best solutions that work for me that are currently on the market. If something “better” comes along that makes sense (meaning makes my picture taking easier to do) for me to switch to - then I do. Simple as that. If not I stay put and if you think I’m sooo dedicated to Sony exclusively then just read about thinking about switching from Sony Gear to Fuji about 6 months ago or so and even going to far as to list much of my gear then backing away from that decision after getting cold feet about a particular camera.

PeterA

Well I'm not actually anti-Leica. I actually like the M10/Monochrom Cameras a lot. I don’t love the rest of their line up but to each their own... and yes I’m so “anti-everything that isn’t Sony” that I own and shoot with a Panasonic, Mamiya, and Minolta as well... :ROTFL:

But yeah... keep on believing what you want to believe. I just go with the best solutions that work for me that are currently on the market. If something “better” comes along that makes sense (meaning makes my picture taking easier to do) for me to switch to - then I do. Simple as that. If not I stay put and if you think I’m sooo dedicated to Sony exclusively then just read about thinking about switching from Sony Gear to Fuji about 6 months ago or so and even going to far as to list much of my gear then backing away from that decision after getting cold feet about a particular camera.
Of course you should use what you prefer to use for yoru purposes - and perhaps you might feel less inclined to stereotype different choices made y different people.

When you lead a statement with a phrase like 'brand ethos' and label all people who choose to use a Leica camera or a Fuji camera as being a certain 'type' of photographer - well what more can I say ? the only reason I point this out is not to have a go at you as a person - but to point out the silliness of any generalisations about people based on thier purchase and use decisions - also reading stuff like this ( and you are not alone) is a bit of a turn off to even come to the forum. Spare time is about fun and sharing - rather than arguing about the merits of someone else's decisions let alone everyone else's decision making process or rationale when it comes to Leica or Fuji or anyone else.

FYI - I shoot Leica/Sony/Fuji and Hasselblad - each has their use and purpose for me - and if forced to choose just one camera /system today it would be Sony -:)

iiiNelson

Of course you should use what you prefer to use for yoru purposes - and perhaps you might feel less inclined to stereotype different choices made y different people.

When you lead a statement with a phrase like 'brand ethos' and label all people who choose to use a Leica camera or a Fuji camera as being a certain 'type' of photographer - well what more can I say ? the only reason I point this out is not to have a go at you as a person - but to point out the silliness of any generalisations about people based on thier purchase and use decisions - also reading stuff like this ( and you are not alone) is a bit of a turn off to even come to the forum. Spare time is about fun and sharing - rather than arguing about the merits of someone else's decisions let alone everyone else's decision making process or rationale when it comes to Leica or Fuji or anyone else.

FYI - I shoot Leica/Sony/Fuji and Hasselblad - each has their use and purpose for me - and if forced to choose just one camera /system today it would be Sony -:)
Again... it wasn’t meant as a personal negative viewpoint or a shot at Leica/Fuji people that clearly a couple people (at least) took it as.

It’s an observation over the years as to the WHY many people choose Leica or Fuji (and yes I was one of them for these same reasons). So in essence I’m including myself to an extent into that observation. Whether it’s the “simplicity” of the system, the film simulations to emulate the fond memories of the film stocks of the past digitally, whether it’s the retro look to the bodies (dials, aperture rings, smaller sized lenses, etc.) that make people have the tactile feeling of the film cameras of old, times firmware updates, or whatever else - that all ties into the “brand ethos” of the aforementioned companies I commented on.

Sony has a “brand ethos” to and it’s very akin to Minolta’s - they’ll try to irrational and off the wall stuff at times but they attempt to be cutting edge for the day. That doesn’t work for everyone and I can understand that but I’m something of a gadget nerd innansense and I like that they do this while I can also appreciate aspects of Leica (specifically the M) and Fuji (new retro cameras) all at the same time.

Now while i can appreciate wanting forums to be 100% positive when they aren’t I personally take time away from them for days, weeks, or even months so that I can personally keep the perceived negativity out my own life. It happens for fans of every and any system and it’s important to note that for a lot of people their perceived negativity can be dorected at a variety of things to include personal user experience which is always the most valuable, company decisions, or yes even critics of another company. As they say though “it’s just the Internet.”

I hope you can understand my viewpoint and if not then no need to further discuss. We can agreed to disagree and that’ll be fine too.

iiiNelson

And we will get as enthusiastic as those Fuji-Forum-Hipsters then! ;)
I’d see it more as an A9-like camera with a smaller sensor at a more attainable price for most people. I think the A7III is already 90% there but many can’t afford the best lenses. I think it’s important Sony provides price attainable APS-C “pro” lenses for a “pro” level APS-C body to compete with the Fuji X camera.

V

Vivek

Sorry folks! Not gonna happen!

Sony will never be hip. Boring old $hit. :LOL:

seb

I'm looking after the a9 since the release. Also about an a6500 just for a smaller form factor and the longer reach with the cropped sensor. And on top, I want to start with some video just for fun (and of course with the best quality). All together makes me very enthusiastic about this rumour. And as some may know here in the forum, I can be very enthusiastic when it comes to gear I like. :rolleyes::clap:

I’d see it more as an A9-like camera with a smaller sensor at a more attainable price for most people. I think the A7III is already 90% there but many can’t afford the best lenses. I think it’s important Sony provides price attainable APS-C “pro” lenses for a “pro” level APS-C body to compete with the Fuji X camera.

V

Vivek

I have local friends who are Fuji owners. I came to know a bit about their cameras.

Sony stuff is boring as hell but does the job. :)

Would you care to decrypt your comment?
I am missing a clue what you mean Vivek. Sorry.

iiiNelson

I'm looking after the a9 since the release. Also about an a6500 just for a smaller form factor and the longer reach with the cropped sensor. And on top, I want to start with some video just for fun (and of course with the best quality). All together makes me very enthusiastic about this rumour. And as some may know here in the forum, I can be very enthusiastic when it comes to gear I like. :rolleyes::clap:
Yeah I liked the premise of the A6xxx bodies but I didn’t care for the controls personally (specifically lacking the front and back aperture/shutter dials that pretty much every pro camera has). If they drop all of this either in a more ergonomic “Rangefinder” style body or just put it in the A7/9 body then I’d be elated too on some level. Pricing would also be key and it needs to stay in the $1500 range (or less) otherwise people will just buy the A7III or A7RII instead.

k-hawinkler

I have local friends who are Fuji owners. I came to know a bit about their cameras.

Sony stuff is boring as hell but does the job. :)
Boring as hell? That’s not my take at all.
For me, especially the A9, is an enjoyable tool that lets me shoot with TAP AF many different lenses I like. The Fuji gear wouldn’t give me that.

I also have a friend who switched from Canon DSLR to Fuji APS-C and is very happy about his new gear. He is an accomplished photographer and likes the quality and fairly low prices of the Fuji lenses. He shoots mainly family, competitive swimming, church events, school plays, weddings, meetings, and such as a hobby, but got some of his swimming images published in the national sports media. I would say his Fuji gear works extremely well for him.

iiiNelson

Interesting interview and a peek into the mind of where Sony is going/continuing to go. Looks like the future is going to be bright all around. Of note to me is their focus in continuing to grow their own customer base (rather than to JUST retain existing customers) and desire for everyone to move into the mirrorless world to advance the industry collectively.

https://www.dpreview.com/interviews...care-about-competitors-i-care-about-customers

Also of note, it seems like fewer "leaks' are happening since the reality of other companies preparing to seriously enter the mirrorless space became obvious. Interviews like this seem to give more direction than the rumor sites of the past due to employees/PR at Sony not really talking any longer.

PeterA

My thinking is that a lot of discussion comes from the point of view (which as a big question) - which is the 'best' camera and why etc etc etc...
My answer to this question/perspective is that I don't think there is a 'best camera' - and if there is it is probably an Iphone or Android equivalent - because it is always on your person.
I've boiled down my needs as being two - a camera and lens system that I can (literally) throw around and not worry about and is robust/relatively inexpensive and produces high quality images and is fun to use - because it is easy.
AND
A Camera system that satisfies any requirement for large printing and resolution and all that comes with such considerations...

For me the most important technological innovation (after digital) has been mirror-less cameras - and now that standards have improved the actual EVF is not a limitation or bugbear anymore so I actually enjoy all teh benefits of EVF - without having to look through a small tunnel. I have removed 'mirror slap' totally from my life.

So for small /lightweight high IQ/autofocus excellence (finally) - I narrowed down my choice to Fuji and for larger megapixel great IQ call it MF or super FF or whatever - the clear winner for me on a cost/benefit full eco system and clear product development pathway is (again) Fuji - with Capture One support being the final tick.

The combination of the two systems covers me for my photographic needs. Each alone I can name better alternatives - but each as part of my tool kit makes the tool kit work for me.

So now I am left with a huge Leica M lens inventory and a couple of bodies and an SL system and lenses - love them both - but I am now for the first time ever in my photographic life questioning their 'fit' in my photographic kit - a huge change for me.

Sony is probably the answer to the question of what camera system if you only want one - to use. for me I don't need 35mm ff to get a 24 megapixel print size and for me no 24 or even 40 megapixel 35mm ff system from any manufacturer beats the GFX today or what is coming in 2019 in terms of IQ.

The major 'stop' to 35mm ff for me is the weight and size of lenses ( and in Leica's case with SL ) the cost. Fuji's X lenses are small /light /good enough and cheap and in GFX size (relatively) light/cheap and still deliver high IQ. The combination of the two is what works for me.

iiiNelson

My thinking is that a lot of discussion comes from the point of view (which as a big question) - which is the 'best' camera and why etc etc etc...
My answer to this question/perspective is that I don't think there is a 'best camera' - and if there is it is probably an Iphone or Android equivalent - because it is always on your person.
I've boiled down my needs as being two - a camera and lens system that I can (literally) throw around and not worry about and is robust/relatively inexpensive and produces high quality images and is fun to use - because it is easy.
AND
A Camera system that satisfies any requirement for large printing and resolution and all that comes with such considerations...

For me the most important technological innovation (after digital) has been mirror-less cameras - and now that standards have improved the actual EVF is not a limitation or bugbear anymore so I actually enjoy all teh benefits of EVF - without having to look through a small tunnel. I have removed 'mirror slap' totally from my life.

So for small /lightweight high IQ/autofocus excellence (finally) - I narrowed down my choice to Fuji and for larger megapixel great IQ call it MF or super FF or whatever - the clear winner for me on a cost/benefit full eco system and clear product development pathway is (again) Fuji - with Capture One support being the final tick.

The combination of the two systems covers me for my photographic needs. Each alone I can name better alternatives - but each as part of my tool kit makes the tool kit work for me.

So now I am left with a huge Leica M lens inventory and a couple of bodies and an SL system and lenses - love them both - but I am now for the first time ever in my photographic life questioning their 'fit' in my photographic kit - a huge change for me.

Sony is probably the answer to the question of what camera system if you only want one - to use. for me I don't need 35mm ff to get a 24 megapixel print size and for me no 24 or even 40 megapixel 35mm ff system from any manufacturer beats the GFX today or what is coming in 2019 in terms of IQ.

The major 'stop' to 35mm ff for me is the weight and size of lenses ( and in Leica's case with SL ) the cost. Fuji's X lenses are small /light /good enough and cheap and in GFX size (relatively) light/cheap and still deliver high IQ. The combination of the two is what works for me.
Actually this was my EXACT thinking about 6-9 months ago when I began to sell off part of my Sony kit in the intent to convert completely to Fuji. My biggest issue was that I got cold feet on the Fuji due to perceived reliability/quality issues with the XH1 and lack of Capture One (not an issue any longer) for the GFX. I’m still holding out hope that the XH2 (when released) will be much more polished as I prefer that body style to the XT3 personally but I did test out the XT3 last month and most of the complaints I had about the XT2 (whichbwere entirely subjective) are solved.

To me, my take on this “test” was purely from an objective performance standpoint while tossing out subjective factors. Obviously if you’re heavily invested in Canon or Nikon lenses then those cameras move up the ladder for obvious reasons so it’s not a knock on the cameras. I’ve always said that they were fine by any objective measurement but after taking their sweet time I didn’t expect for them to have so many obvious first generation blunders in functional design/performance. Sometimes it’s really not about meeting a bench mark but rather exceeding it... that’s what I hoped to see from them.

As for Leica... I’m excited about their new relational partners in Panasonic and Sigma. I’ve long sold off everything except my Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton II lens due to lack of flexibility. By the time the SL was launched I tried it in the Leica store in DC then just left it there with the impression that the EVF was nice but there was nothing else about the camera I wanted. Not a knock on them but I left Leica for specific reasons in the lack of flexibility for a reasonable price. I loved my M9’s and I like the M10 when I tried it out last year in a local store... other than the M, nothing Leica really interests me still strongly.