The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Future Sony FE Bodies

k-hawinkler

Thanks Peter for an honest and interesting post.

My interests are a bit different and I can see 3 or 4 different systems of possible interest to me, namely:

• Olympus 4/3, m4/3 (E-M1.2 first mirrorless camera no focus hunting)
• Fuji APS-C, great lenses. No current plans to get into though.
• Sony APS-C & FF, FE lenses doing double duty, many adapted lenses.
• Fuji GFX 100 maybe in my future.

The Sony A9 - without peer - is currently my favorite camera for action and wildlife/birding as well as general photography. Fast and accurate focus 60 times per s, up tp 20 FPS if the lens can handle it, no rolling shutter artifacts, quiet, blackout free, terrific Eye-AF, Excellent IQ.

My wish for future Sony bodies:

• A9r (more pixels)
• A9000 (A9-like APS-C camera), 24 MP, Global Electronic Shutter (GS)

A future Olympus E-M1.3 needs to adapt Sony's A9-type technologies.

Impressive tele lenses IMHO:

• Olympus 150/2 SHG, 300/4 Pro + 1.4x TC
• Fuji XF 200/2 (presumably)
• FE 100-400/4.5-5.6, FE 400/2.8 + 1.4x, 2x TCs.
GF 250/4 + GF1.4x

The Olympus and Sony systems I own have excellent WA from 10mm up, normal, short tele, and macro lenses, primes and zooms.

My favorite TechArt Pro (TAP) autofocus adapted lenses on A9 and A7r.2 are:

• CV15/4.5
• Leica WATE 16-18-21/4
• Nikkor 28/1.4
• Leica Vario Elmar-R 35-70/4
• Nikkor 50/1.2
• Micro-Nikkor 55/2.8
• Noct-Nikkor 58/1.2
• Leica APO-Summicron-M 75/2 ASPH.
• Leica Summilux-R 80/1.4

Two special native lenses worth pointing out are:

• PL Nocticron m4/3 42.5/1.2
• Sony FE 90/2.8 Macro G OSS

In connection with the Fujifilm GFX 100 these GF lenses seem worth a consideration:

• Fujifilm GF 23mm f/4 R LM WR Lens
• Fujifilm GF 32-64mm f/4 R LM WR Lens
• Fujifilm GF 110mm f/2 R LM WR Lens
• Fujifilm GF 120mm f/4 Macro R LM OIS WR Lens
• Fujifilm GF 250mm f/4 R LM OIS WR Lens
• Fujifilm GF 1.4X TC WR Teleconverter

At this time the new Canikon mirrorless cameras don't have much of my attention. The Leica L effort with Panasonic and Sigma might deserve a closer look by next Easter. :grin:

Peter, thanks again for your post.

RodolfoCC

Frankly, I'm absolutely stunned with the quality I got from my A7R II and my Zeiss lenses but I am also fed up with fighting the camera body. I just can't get used to it, it's like it's been designed to be refractary to my hands :-o

So, I'm much more than tempted to go Fuji now that the GFX systems are at my financial reach. I don't know if I will eventually do it, I hate the idea of start selling all my Sony/Zeiss stuff, so stressful.

So, to answer the OP question: yes, I'd like to see a bigger FE body.

iiiNelson

Looks like maybe those that have been awaiting a set of smaller/compact medium speed lenses may eventually be served by future Sigma lenses. My guess is that some of those exclusive non-DSLR derived lenses previously mentioned for the L-Mount may arrive in other FF Mirrorless mounts as well. This would probably be a smart move on Sigma’s part to not be exclusively tied to the commercial success of the L-Mount cameras... and naturally DSLR’s will likely become more of a niche offering over the next 5-15 years or so.

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sim...possibility-of-future-compact-fe-lens-launch/

Pradeep

Very interesting. Looks like the next A7r will have the 60MPx sensor. Hope the A9 also either gets a higher res sensor (though hard to imagine how they would be able to write all that data at 20 fps) or the A7rX will have better PDAF. That is my biggest want at this time - high res, with fast AF.

iiiNelson

Very interesting. Looks like the next A7r will have the 60MPx sensor. Hope the A9 also either gets a higher res sensor (though hard to imagine how they would be able to write all that data at 20 fps) or the A7rX will have better PDAF. That is my biggest want at this time - high res, with fast AF.
I think the 60mp camera is rumored to shoot at 12fps instead of 20fps. Maybe that’s the solution and it’s still fast enough for sports/wildlife more than likely.

iiiNelson

Interview with a Sony Manager

https://www.amateurphotographer.co....a-executive-speaks-123811#4dsmWEVmxfZrzd2q.99

My takeaway is that they're going to run the course the way they feel is best unless the market dictates differently. I hope they don't become complacent and/or arrogant while currently remaining in their leading position. Sony listening to the feedback from and engaging with owners/community members is one of the main reasons they are in their current position - the dismissive response of "maybe people should go to other brands..." versus the discussion of the possibility of providing a solution to fit the needs for a group of photographers that otherwise like your products is EXACTLY how they can easily lose the #1 spot.

...and all of this JUST after I sort of made up my mind recently to just commit to where I am with Sony and quell the realistic potential of the possibility of going to another system.

PeterA

Interview with a Sony Manager

https://www.amateurphotographer.co....a-executive-speaks-123811#4dsmWEVmxfZrzd2q.99

My takeaway is that they're going to run the course the way they feel is best unless the market dictates differently. I hope they don't become complacent and/or arrogant while currently remaining in their leading position. Sony listening to the feedback from and engaging with owners/community members is one of the main reasons they are in their current position - the dismissive response of "maybe people should go to other brands..." versus the discussion of the possibility of providing a solution to fit the needs for a group of photographers that otherwise like your products is EXACTLY how they can easily lose the #1 spot.

...and all of this JUST after I sort of made up my mind recently to just commit to where I am with Sony and quell the realistic potential of the possibility of going to another system.
Funny how two people reading same article can arrive at different conclusions. I thought that the Sony spokesperson was merely underlining what customer feedback was to Sony and that was for 'small' is better. Sony has probably reinvigorated if not 'saved' the camera industry by pioneering mirror-less tech into mainstream and it is good to hear them wanting a healthy industry and choice for customers. I'll say it again - if I were starting from scratch and didnt have a bunch of Leica glass or any interest in MF - Sony would be the clear standout - so many models and so much real choice for every photographic need.

They also 'clip the ticket' on so many participants in the industry via supplying chips to other manufacturers - very few other manufacturers can afford to ignore the Sony chip value propositions and those that do have to charge big premiums - see Leica in 35mmFF via SL and M systems.

I will say though that the form factor of Sony cameras doens't suit me at all - too small for my hands - which is the reason why I am not fully into Sony for 35mm uses - that and the fact that my existing Leica M lenses perform better on the SL and CL than on any other lens ponies - but they aren't autofocus ...

iiiNelson

Funny how two people reading same article can arrive at different conclusions. I thought that the Sony spokesperson was merely underlining what customer feedback was to Sony and that was for 'small' is better. Sony has probably reinvigorated if not 'saved' the camera industry by pioneering mirror-less tech into mainstream and it is good to hear them wanting a healthy industry and choice for customers. I'll say it again - if I were starting from scratch and didnt have a bunch of Leica glass or any interest in MF - Sony would be the clear standout - so many models and so much real choice for every photographic need.

They also 'clip the ticket' on so many participants in the industry via supplying chips to other manufacturers - very few other manufacturers can afford to ignore the Sony chip value propositions and those that do have to charge big premiums - see Leica in 35mmFF via SL and M systems.

I will say though that the form factor of Sony cameras doens't suit me at all - too small for my hands - which is the reason why I am not fully into Sony for 35mm uses - that and the fact that my existing Leica M lenses perform better on the SL and CL than on any other lens ponies - but they aren't autofocus ...
Yeah I read those same things too but I was merely focused on my own wish list of things for future Sony bodies.

Regarding the size of bodies without the grip. They’re fine for the f/1.8 and f/2 (or slower) lenses but when you get to the Sony Zeiss or G-Master lenses then a slightly larger body would be desired (by me).

Maybe there’s still room to make of of those decisions in the future and I too want a healthy camera industry - I can’t ignore that it got unhealthy from a lack of innovation and a resistance to improved technology changes from Canon and Nikon. Smartphones also played a huge part in the now niche compact camera market.

Regarding Leica lenses... I divested myself from those years ago. I wouldn’t mind having something else as good at the 35/2 version 5 for an everyday walk around prime (the 35/2 Loxia is the weakest lens of the Loxia bunch IMO) but the 24/1.4 GM will likely pair well with the 55/1.8 for a 2 lens kit. Hopefully I’ll have one to test out in the next few weeks.

PeterA

Yeah I read those same things too but I was merely focused on my own wish list of things for future Sony bodies.

Regarding the size of bodies without the grip. They’re fine for the f/1.8 and f/2 (or slower) lenses but when you get to the Sony Zeiss or G-Master lenses then a slightly larger body would be desired (by me).

Maybe there’s still room to make of of those decisions in the future and I too want a healthy camera industry - I can’t ignore that it got unhealthy from a lack of innovation and a resistance to improved technology changes from Canon and Nikon. Smartphones also played a huge part in the now niche compact camera market.

Regarding Leica lenses... I divested myself from those years ago. I wouldn’t mind having something else as good at the 35/2 version 5 for an everyday walk around prime (the 35/2 Loxia is the weakest lens of the Loxia bunch IMO) but the 24/1.4 GM will likely pair well with the 55/1.8 for a 2 lens kit. Hopefully I’ll have one to test out in the next few weeks.
Funny thing is the cropped sensor from XT3 and CL - breathes a different ( new) life into cerrtain M lenses I rarely use - eg the 90 Apo Summicron is frankly too hard to foucs wide open for portraits on an M ( I dont care to discuss the issue with all the old school Leica chest puffers who scream diferently ) it has a focus plane as tiny as the Noctilux wide open - except unlike the Nocti - it is razor sharp wide open since that is the aperture it was designed to shoot at ( just like all summilux lenses) ...so on teh XT-3 or CL . I ahve (effectively) a 135/2 which renders as well as the monster Zeis 135/1.8

my 'dirty littele secret' is relatively small form glass from Leica M with impeccable drawing characteristics and sharpness able to be used on FF SL or apc - without loss of resolution or quality in apc- same cant be said of wider glass the M lenses smear quite noticeably on all camera alternative I've tried...

So long story short - the onluy lens I think is redundant from my M collection is teh WATE - it is on the by e by e list.

Quality of galss is not an issue with Sony - size factor for quality is i think firmly on teh side of Fuji in apc and MF and Leica in M - liek for like I dont think Sony or anyone alse can match the 50 lux SL beast I just picked up- best autofocus 50 I've ever owned - and since 50 is my favourite focal length - I've owned the lot- Otus 55 was sold last week....

V

Vivek

This is how exciting a potential new Sony camera has become nowadays...:ROTFL:

iiiNelson

Funny thing is the cropped sensor from XT3 and CL - breathes a different ( new) life into cerrtain M lenses I rarely use - eg the 90 Apo Summicron is frankly too hard to foucs wide open for portraits on an M ( I dont care to discuss the issue with all the old school Leica chest puffers who scream diferently ) it has a focus plane as tiny as the Noctilux wide open - except unlike the Nocti - it is razor sharp wide open since that is the aperture it was designed to shoot at ( just like all summilux lenses) ...so on teh XT-3 or CL . I ahve (effectively) a 135/2 which renders as well as the monster Zeis 135/1.8

my 'dirty littele secret' is relatively small form glass from Leica M with impeccable drawing characteristics and sharpness able to be used on FF SL or apc - without loss of resolution or quality in apc- same cant be said of wider glass the M lenses smear quite noticeably on all camera alternative I've tried...

So long story short - the onluy lens I think is redundant from my M collection is teh WATE - it is on the by e by e list.

Quality of galss is not an issue with Sony - size factor for quality is i think firmly on teh side of Fuji in apc and MF and Leica in M - liek for like I dont think Sony or anyone alse can match the 50 lux SL beast I just picked up- best autofocus 50 I've ever owned - and since 50 is my favourite focal length - I've owned the lot- Otus 55 was sold last week....
Yeah I used my 90 Summicron Pre-AA a lot on my NEX-5 and like you said it was great. Same can be said with the CV 35/1.2 Nokton II, Zeiss 50/2 and/or 50 Summilux. It was the initial reason I bought into Sony FE but a weird thing happened... I actually bought the native 55/1.8 and found it to not give up much to the 50 Summilux in size, optical quality, withbthe added benefit of autofocus. I hated the 35/2.8 and the 24-70/4 (mostly for price:performance reasons) but outside of those I hadn’t found many Sony FE lenses I didn’t care for.

Pradeep

I think the 60mp camera is rumored to shoot at 12fps instead of 20fps. Maybe that’s the solution and it’s still fast enough for sports/wildlife more than likely.

More than enough. I have only rarely used my A9 at its full 20fps capacity, simply eats up the card too fast, but when I need it, it's very useful.

Pradeep

I just spent two weeks in the company of photo buddies of mine on a trip. One is a Nikon shooter and the other Canon. We were a large group and as expected there was a mix of brands, with the sole Sony user being myself. The team leader was a Nikon Ambassador, well known and respected.

What was interesting from my perspective was the enthusiasm going around for the Z7 and the Canon R. The Canon friend had brought his and the team leader has been promoting the virtues of the Z7. They were thrilled with the arrival of Mirrorless bodies, the EVF and the small size, the new lenses coming etc. I was quiet amused. I lost no opportunity to rib them about their previous dissing of the Sony and the current excitement over the, IMHO less capable offerings from the main brands.

We all love our own babies, don't we? I am now firmly in the Sony camp and very happy to have made the switch. Nothing and nobody's perfect of course and competition is always good for growth. Being an ex Leica M user myself, I don't miss it one bit. Sony glass, again IMHO, is about as sharp as I need.

I went to a photography workshop recently and nobody really talked about their cameras. We talked about our images. No brand ambassadors were present though.

pegelli

I was at a David Yarrow event in Antwerp yesterday. It's no secret he is a Nikon shooter (and ambassador). However at the opening event of the exhibition a Sony A7 or A9 (don't know exactly which, too far away) coupled with a 24-70/4 was laying on his table and all the filming of the event was done with a Panasonic. I think he understands the principle of "horses for courses".

Pradeep

I went to a photography workshop recently and nobody really talked about their cameras. We talked about our images. No brand ambassadors were present though.
When you are forced to spend two weeks on a ship of which ten days are on the open seas there is not much image making to do. People then talk about gear, politics, religion and food. Almost all of us being Americans, you can imagine what the politics was about! That is one discussion I absolutely avoid anywhere I go :mad:

Talking gear is so much more fun :D

Pradeep

I was at a David Yarrow event in Antwerp yesterday. It's no secret he is a Nikon shooter (and ambassador). However at the opening event of the exhibition a Sony A7 or A9 (don't know exactly which, too far away) coupled with a 24-70/4 was laying on his table and all the filming of the event was done with a Panasonic. I think he understands the principle of "horses for courses".
Absolutely.

For us mere mortals though, it is much easier (as I've discovered over the years) to stick to just one system for everything, if possible. It may not be perfect, but if it can do most of what I want it to, I am happy.

pegelli

Absolutely.

For us mere mortals though, it is much easier (as I've discovered over the years) to stick to just one system for everything, if possible. It may not be perfect, but if it can do most of what I want it to, I am happy.
Fully agree Pradeep. It's David's job and he needs to pay a whole organisation and field assistants, make a living and have money left to support the charities that help him take the great shots he produces. For him the cost of cameras is only a very minor portion of his total cost, so he's wise enough to choose what's right for the specific job and increase his chances of getting the shots and movies that he needs.

But I'm like you, I only shoot for fun and make pictures that are just for me. If someone on a forum likes them that's just an encouraging bonus but far from essential. One decent system of any brand can deliver that for me and almost by accident it ended up being Sony today. I know it and like it but if I would have spent the same amount of time with a different brand I don't think my images would be significantly different, and that's because I'm the limit to the quality of my photos and it's never the gear.

Pradeep

Fully agree Pradeep. It's David's job and he needs to pay a whole organisation and field assistants, make a living and have money left to support the charities that help him take the great shots he produces. For him the cost of cameras is only a very minor portion of his total cost, so he's wise enough to choose what's right for the specific job and increase his chances of getting the shots and movies that he needs.

But I'm like you, I only shoot for fun and make pictures that are just for me. If someone on a forum likes them that's just an encouraging bonus but far from essential. One decent system of any brand can deliver that for me and almost by accident it ended up being Sony today. I know it and like it but if I would have spent the same amount of time with a different brand I don't think my images would be significantly different, and that's because I'm the limit to the quality of my photos and it's never the gear.
:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Agree completely!