The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Article about Sony on SLR lounge

iiiNelson

https://www.slrlounge.com/the-sony-...-its-not-in-our-nature-to-snuff-out-the-fire/

Interesting read, and also interesting that the first reaction on an article about the strategy and vision of Sony comes straight from the "menu complaints echo chamber" :LOL:
Thanks for sharing. Very insightful article that I believe I’ve read in some form in the past.

I’ve said it in the past, but I truly feel the menu complaints come from people more familiar with other camera systems. I find that the menu system is less of a complaint with younger photographers familiar with smartphones, computers, etc. than people used to film shooting. I found the Fuji menu system to be very similar to the Sony one and I thought the Nikon and Olympus menus were much more complicated than Sony but it all comes down to familiarity I guess. I’m comfortable with the Cano, Panasonic, and Leica menus as I’ve owned and lived with all 3 of them but again - familiarity. I rarely hear people that own Sony cameras complain about the menu but they may have some other subjective usability concerns.

pegelli

I’ve said it in the past, but I truly feel the menu complaints come from people more familiar with other camera systems. I find that the menu system is less of a complaint with younger photographers familiar with smartphones, computers, etc. than people used to film shooting. I found the Fuji menu system to be very similar to the Sony one and I thought the Nikon and Olympus menus were much more complicated than Sony but it all comes down to familiarity I guess. I’m comfortable with the Cano, Panasonic, and Leica menus as I’ve owned and lived with all 3 of them but again - familiarity. I rarely hear people that own Sony cameras complain about the menu but they may have some other subjective usability concerns.
I think you hit the nail on the head there

Even though I hardly have to go into the menus of my Sony's (almost everything I need is either on a programmable button or programmed in the Fn menu) I can still find my way there easily if I'm looking for some less used option.

I'm currently helping a friend with an OM 5D mk2 to get more from her camera, shoot raw and learn some LR processing. I find it a very competent camera but I can't find anything in the menus without the manual or cycling through them multiple times. I'm sure if I was grown up with digital Olympus it would be second nature to me and would lose my way in the Sony menus. Same shooting with friends who shoot Nikon, very confusing menus to me because I'm not used to them.

iiiNelson

I think you hit the nail on the head there

Even though I hardly have to go into the menus of my Sony's (almost everything I need is either on a programmable button or programmed in the Fn menu) I can still find my way there easily if I'm looking for some less used option.

I'm currently helping a friend with an OM 5D mk2 to get more from her camera, shoot raw and learn some LR processing. I find it a very competent camera but I can't find anything in the menus without the manual or cycling through them multiple times. I'm sure if I was grown up with digital Olympus it would be second nature to me and would lose my way in the Sony menus. Same shooting with friends who shoot Nikon, very confusing menus to me because I'm not used to them.
Same with me.

I only need to go into the menu to format SD cards and when I occasionally use the sensor crop option to get extra reach without swapping lenses (being that I still get an 18MP image on the A7RII). Outside that I have direct controls of everything in the Function Menu or a Custom Button (to include aperture, shutter, and ISO controls).

I felt like the Leica digital and Panasonic menu was almost the same or at least close enough that you’d think the cameras were from the same company down to the menu icons used on the G1, D-Lux, and M9. The Canon has its quirks but back when I used the Canon (Digital Rebel and 20D) video really wasn’t a thing so the menus weren’t all that deep. I did help a good friend out in selecting an 80D earlier this year (she bought my old Rebel kit after I got the G1) but even then the menus were easy enough for me to work through and figure out based on my old Canon experience.