The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony FE 100mm STF G OSS

jerome_m

I could not find a thread about the Sony FE 100mm STF G OSS lens. Does anyone here use it?

Sample picture:

iiiNelson

I could not find a thread about the Sony FE 100mm STF G OSS lens. Does anyone here use it?

Sample picture:

Tested one last year and it’s on my list of lenses I need to buy. It’s easily in my top 5 portrait lenses of all time... especially if you shoot with off camera lighting. Very underrated lens and I suspect a lot of it is due to the f/2.8 maximum aperture. I would’ve preferred to Sean f/2 myself (like the lengendary Contax Yashica 100/2) but this lens has a “macro” capability and some of the best bokeh I’ve seen this side of the Leica 90/2 Pre-AA.

jerome_m

Very underrated lens and I suspect a lot of it is due to the f/2.8 maximum aperture.
Wel... the lens aperture is 5.6 as far as light is concerned. Depth of field wise, it is also closer to 4-5. The older version for the Minolta mount (a 135mm) was a bit lighter with a bit less depth of field, although the nominal geometrical aperture was the same 2.8. But the STF element was a bit lighter shaded. I preferred that.

New new version adds AF, stabilisation and a macro mode as you noted. It also has much better correction of longitudinal chromatic aberration.

iiiNelson

Wel... the lens aperture is 5.6 as far as light is concerned. Depth of field wise, it is also closer to 4-5. The older version for the Minolta mount (a 135mm) was a bit lighter with a bit less depth of field, although the nominal geometrical aperture was the same 2.8. But the STF element was a bit lighter shaded. I preferred that.

New new version adds AF, stabilisation and a macro mode as you noted. It also has much better correction of longitudinal chromatic aberration.
Yes and no.

The aperture is still 2.8 (it’s a theoretical measurement based on lens dimension) but you are correct to say the 100 STF has one of the strongest Apodization filters - but I find that to be one of the strengths of this lens. When you compare it to some other modern STF lenses you can really see where the Sony easily has the best IQ of the STF lenses. For instance the APD filter in the Fuji 56/1.2 is so weak you wonder why they even made that version of thee lens... but it doesn’t lose as much light (in reality it loses maybe 2/3 of a stop over the standard version). The Laowa 105/2 is supposed to be pretty good as well (I’ve seen pictures taken with it but haven’t used myself) but not quite ata good as the Sony... but it does cost half the price.

I’d agree that the DoF is comparable to an f/4 but that’s actually a good thing for most portraits where you want most of the face in focus. I didn’t try to Minolta (and the updates Sony version of the same lens) but I did read good things about it. In conclusion though I really like the lens and specifically for portrait shooting find it to be one of the best I’ve used - up there with the Leica, Contax, Nikon, etc. portrait lenses that people love.

V

Vivek

I think most lenses will do well for statue shots. Why woudl anyone need a STF lens? :p

jerome_m

LOL well I agree but I assume he was possibly testing for demonstrating lens “character” maybe...
The 100mm is supposed to be a portrait lens. I know that scantily clad nubile models would be more popular, but that particular model was available and did not insist on a release form to be put online. The background is also typical of the STF effect.

Schmiddi

Hello,

I rented it last year - and it's really a great lens. Here one shot with Lena at our finca on Mallorca:

Lena - 20170509 - 104823-1500.jpg

With best regards, Andreas

iiiNelson

The 100mm is supposed to be a portrait lens. I know that scantily clad nubile models would be more popular, but that particular model was available and did not insist on a release form to be put online. The background is also typical of the STF effect.
Nope I understand and agree that statues are less of a hassle, more reliable, don’t arrive late, and don’t expect fee work in exchange for poor/unwelcomed attempts at leading people on/ flirting. Action figures and books also work for the aforementioned purposes of testing.

V

Vivek

Whose statue is that?

AndereObjektiv

I have had this little beauty for a bit, but recently started using it in earnest. I should have used it sooner and more often. All shot on α9 wide open @ T-5.6

guldmuc

Sample picture:

Hello,
this sculpture is located on the old south cemetery in munich, germany.
It is the family grave of the zeisings family.
The bust is adolf zeisig.