The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM

jerome_m

I could not find a thread about this lens. I know that reviews are unanimously positive, but I would be interested in the opinion of actual users. Thank you in advance.

Pradeep

I've got one, but have not used it much since I got the 12-24 f4 and the 24-70 2.8

There is little call for a wide angle fast lens in general, unless it actually performs better. This one is certainly sharper than my older f4 used to be, that one got stolen, so when I replaced it I got the faster lens.

jerome_m

I've got one, but have not used it much since I got the 12-24 f4 and the 24-70 2.8

There is little call for a wide angle fast lens in general, unless it actually performs better. This one is certainly sharper than my older f4 used to be, that one got stolen, so when I replaced it I got the faster lens.
Well... I have the 12-24 and 24-70, but I find the 16-35 range much more useful. Then, I find that the f/2.8 aperture allows to limit depth of field enough for subject differentiation (I loved the 16-35 f/2.8 CZ on the Sony A900). The range and aperture are therefore perfectly suited to my tastes. Remains things like handling, size and rendering/bokeh, which I don't find in test.

However, the news is that I found a good price for that lens locally and got it today. I just got to take a few test pictures with it, but I think it has potential:

iiiNelson

I tried the lens in store and I like it a lot. If I were to buy a native wife zoom then this would be the one. Pair it with the 70-200/2.8 and I think you will have a great all around kit (with the 50/1.5 or 55/1.8 in the middle).