The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Global?

iiiNelson

Not necessarily. If Panasonic's new full frame camera has a global shutter, Sony will be forced to react.
Maybe but I suppose it will depend on the benefits of the early global shutter sensors beyond the inherent benefits. If the dynamic range and/or color fidelity isn’t there then maybe that diminishes the inherent benefits to moving to a global shutter initially. IMO the sensor would need to have 13+ stops of DR (and preferably 14+ at this point) along with all the other stuff for people to see the value of them and pay for the increased costs of a Global Shutter Sensor.

I think to the average photographer the 3 biggest applications where global shutter will make an immediate difference is for video to eliminate rolling shutter, electronic/silent shutters for the same reason, and for cameras with larger lens mounts without access to leaf shutters like the Canon EF/RF Mount, Fuji GFX, or the Nikon Z where mechanical shutters are limiting flash sync speeds to 1/200 of a second or slower due to the size of the mount.

Just my opinion though. In the short time Sony CMOS Stacked Sensors COULD be a nicer stop gap in the interim specifically for reducing rolling shutter in silent shooting until CMOS Global shutters have matured... though they they too are limited in DR compared to the current CMOS BSI sensors.

iiiNelson

Isn’t competition wonderful!
Much better than collusion. :scry:
I genuinely and generally agree but I shudder at the thought of having to live through another CaNikon duopoly in mindshare. Hell I’d sooner sell all my cameras and find a new hobby/side business then have to go back to that being the “only” option again. I want the markets to be more balanced with Sony, Panasonic, Fuji, and the other makers cutting deeper into the CaNikon market share - if for no other reason than for them to try harder.

k-hawinkler

I genuinely and generally agree but I shudder at the thought of having to live through another CaNikon duopoly in mindshare. Hell I’d sooner sell all my cameras and find a new hobby/side business then have to go back to that being the “only” option again. I want the markets to be more balanced with Sony, Panasonic, Fuji, and the other makers cutting deeper into the CaNikon market share - if for no other reason than for them to try harder.
Tre exactly. I trust that’s going to happen! :thumbs: :watch:

Dreaming...

E-M1.3 + 150/2
X-H2 + 200/2
A9.2 + 400/2.8