The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More lenses coming...

iiiNelson

The announcement is a bit vacuous. It would be nice to have a lens map.
True but in line with what they’ve done the last 18-24 months since missing deadlines/targets from the earthquake. Roadmaps are definitely nice but I suspect companies may shell up a bit more now that competition is heating up. I expect there will be fewer credible leaks and multiple test models out there to throw the competition off.

True but in line with what they’ve done the last 18-24 months since missing deadlines/targets from the earthquake. Roadmaps are definitely nice but I suspect companies may shell up a bit more now that competition is heating up. I expect there will be fewer credible leaks and multiple test models out there to throw the competition off.
Missed deadlines/targets from earthquakes doesn't go to the issue of which lenses will be manufactured; it goes to the issue of when they actually arrive. I would have expected a lens roadmap to deter users/potential users from jumping ship to Canon/Nikon/Panasonic. I can think of several lenses I would be interested in and easily twelve I wouldn't be interested in.

iiiNelson

Missed deadlines/targets from earthquakes doesn't go to the issue of which lenses will be manufactured; it goes to the issue of when they actually arrive. I would have expected a lens roadmap to deter users/potential users from jumping ship to Canon/Nikon/Panasonic. I can think of several lenses I would be interested in and easily twelve I wouldn't be interested in.
Well my thinking was more in line with openly tipping your hand too early prior to being prepared to release to your competitors to add those lenses to their roadmaps... but sure I wouldn’t mind knowing what was coming and perhaps we will next month at their scheduled press conference. I just dont don’t recall seeing a roadmap in awhile from Sony ever since the initial G-Master announcements.

V

Vivek

It is a given that we can not rely on Sony for
Lenses.

It will be interesting to see of Canon, Nikon and now Panasonic- all offer lossless compressed RAWs and files without star eaters.

Panasonic already offers weather sealing, so do Canon and to an extent Nikon.

Sony had a lot of time in their hand to improve......

iiiNelson

It is a given that we can not rely on Sony for
Lenses.

It will be interesting to see of Canon, Nikon and now Panasonic- all offer lossless compressed RAWs and files without star eaters.

Panasonic already offers weather sealing, so do Canon and to an extent Nikon.

Sony had a lot of time in their hand to improve......
I thought the whole star eater thing was resolved. There was lots of astrophotography y’all with the 24/1.4 last week.

V

Vivek

Yeah, if you keep telling that to yourself, you will start to believe it...:p

iiiNelson

Yeah, if you keep telling that to yourself, you will start to believe it...:p
Well I was actually asking... I don’t shoot astrophotography. I live in a city with far too much light pollution to even care about attempting to do it.

ggibson

There's a workaround with the A7rII--shooting in continuous mode turns off the NR algorithm (AKA star-eater). For the A7III and A7rIII, shooting in continuous does not turn of NR at >3.2s exposures, but the NR algorithm is a bit less intrusive on these cameras.

IMO this NR algorithm is more of a concern to deep field astro shooting, not wide field like most of us would be interested (with the 24GM for example). It's overblown.

iiiNelson

There's a workaround with the A7rII--shooting in continuous mode turns off the NR algorithm (AKA star-eater). For the A7III and A7rIII, shooting in continuous does not turn of NR at >3.2s exposures, but the NR algorithm is a bit less intrusive on these cameras.

IMO this NR algorithm is more of a concern to deep field astro shooting, not wide field like most of us would be interested (with the 24GM for example). It's overblown.
Interesting to know. Thanks for sharing.

V

Vivek

Not that useful to have 12bit output. :thumbdown:

V

Vivek

Graham, You know very well what the issue is. It is the low ISO long exposures.
(Longer than 3.2s)

Tre, Sorry about the OT. Since the lens announcement is so vague, I guess it is OK?

iiiNelson

Graham, You know very well what the issue is. It is the low ISO long exposures.
(Longer than 3.2s)

Tre, Sorry about the OT. Since the lens announcement is so vague, I guess it is OK?
No worries about the OT... I don’t care personally... a lot of threads have gotten off topic with all the recent announcements/rumors. :ROTFL:

Pradeep

Well, if they are really going to have 12 new lenses, I bet there would be a couple of super-teles in there. Hoping against hope, I am waiting for Sony to come up with its version of the 200-400 f4 with built-in 1.4TC like Canon and Nikon have. That is the perfect lens for wildlife, and if they can also shave the weight down a bit it would be simply awesome.

I was in Botswana for two weeks, just got back. While the 100-400GM is an amazingly sharp lens, with the 1.4TC, it vignettes a lot and of course the max aperture is f8 with resultant busy backgrounds for birds. Trade-off, yes, but would have loved to have an f5.6 lens instead.

V

Vivek

Pradeep, There was an issue reported with the 1.4X TC. Check your serial number and see if that falls into the reported range. I think Sony will fix it or replace it.