The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More lenses coming...

Pradeep

Pradeep, There was an issue reported with the 1.4X TC. Check your serial number and see if that falls into the reported range. I think Sony will fix it or replace it.

Thanks Vivek, I tried finding out what range is affected but couldn't. Any idea how to go about this? My SN is 3955 (last four) which means it is probably an early batch.

K-H, thanks. I checked that thread and the other one it refers to, but no link for Sony, also checked Sony support, no link. Will probably have to call them.

Yes, the vignetting is significant, but only with the TC on, and that too only at 400mm (560 with TC). Without lens profile correction in LR it is severe, with correction less so. I can correct it using the radial filter positioned exactly at the corners and drawing a circle. Increasing the exposure to 0.40 stop takes care of it quite effectively, with only a very subtle trace of the correction visible. Quite usable even in sunset skies.

What is fascinating is how sharp this combo is, wide-open. Almost as if the TC makes no difference (to the sharpness). I had it on my lens almost 90% of the time in Botswana. Now if the vignetting can be fixed, it would be amazing.

Attaching samples. First without any LR lens profile correction.

Second with LR lens profile correction.

Finally one without the TC, at 400mm, wide open. This is without LR lens correction and there is a very subtle bit of vignetting (image is overall slightly darker) but disappears completely with LR auto correction.

All these images are straight out of the camera, no corrections applied, simply converted to jpg from RAW.

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

You need to call Sony so that they replace your 1.4x TC.
You also should get a label so that you can send in your defective item free of charge.
Good luck.