The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A7rII (open market) price

seb

€1380 shipped, as of now!

Is it due to lack of FW update? :confused:
Yes, great prices atm. It's 1500€ (incl. VAT) in Switzerland with 2 years full warranty. I don't know why but it's quite an amazing prize.

iiiNelson

€1380 shipped, as of now!

Is it due to lack of FW update? :confused:
No I think it’s due to retailers (at least in the USA) selling them in the $1800-2000 range new without really having to try too hard... but then there are cameras like the D750 selling for about $1100-1300 range new as well. The prices of FF are coming down to levels very attainable for many. This was a ~$3k camera 40 months ago... but I paid $2500 for mine in March 2016 from the local dealer that I did quite a bit of business with.

I think it has more to do with a lot of people wanting dual card slots, the newer battery, and the improved lowlight/AF of the generation 3 bodies which flooded the market with the older bodies. Worst case scenario I think it’s an excellent body to pick up to convert to Monochrome or UV/IR... or just a more inexpensive way to get into a high resolution Sony camera with great Autofocus ability.

iiiNelson

And...you can run apps on the mark II series! I kept my A7ii just for time lapse and smooth-reflection use.
I always forget about the apps (outside camera remote) but that’s probably because I never actually used them. Seemed like a nice feature that wasn’t implemented as well as it should’ve been.

V

Vivek

Dual cards?!

One can nearly buy 2 A7rII’ for the price of one A7III! :bugeyes:

Incredible!

jerome_m

The operative word here is "open market". The price of the A7RII has been tightly controlled by Sony for as long as it was their flagship camera. It is an open secret that discounters could not carry that model. If the price had not been so tightly controlled, it would have been as with any other camera, slowly decreasing with time on market, till fire sales to get rid of the stocks.
Now we are suddenly experiencing the fire sales prices.

iiiNelson

The operative word here is "open market". The price of the A7RII has been tightly controlled by Sony for as long as it was their flagship camera. It is an open secret that discounters could not carry that model. If the price had not been so tightly controlled, it would have been as with any other camera, slowly decreasing with time on market, till fire sales to get rid of the stocks.
Now we are suddenly experiencing the fire sales prices.
I guess that’s where relationships with dealers matter a bit. Provided they don’t have an amount of back order and can get products on a regular basis I found dealers that I shop with in person tend to make deals provided it’s not the dealer themselves advertising the lowered prices. Case in point I bought my A7RII at approximately 80% of the new price out the door 7 months after release without any haggling to do.

RodolfoCC

Maybe Sony is trying to get as many users into its system before Canon R, Nikon Z and L-mount can get too much traction...

As an A7RII owner thinking about selling to get a Fuji GFX, the message is obvious: forget it!

iiiNelson

Maybe Sony is trying to get as many users into its system before Canon R, Nikon Z and L-mount can get too much traction...

As an A7RII owner thinking about selling to get a Fuji GFX, the message is obvious: forget it!
Well you could probably still sell and offset the cost of a lens more than likely.