The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is this moiré pattern indicative of a sharp lens or some sort of problem ?

KenLee

Sony A7RII at ISO 50, 75mm Color-Heliar at f/5.6

I presume the moiré pattern appears due to interference between the pattern of the window screen and the sensor matrix.

I have taken other photos of the same building from different distances and the moiré pattern does not appear.

Does this suggest the lens is very sharp or that there is some sort of problem, or what ?

Thank you !

Yes, sharp lens. Lightroom and Capture One (and probably other apps) have tools to let you selectively correct that, if it's bothersome.

V

Vivek

Does this suggest the lens is very sharp or that there is some sort of problem, or what ?

Thank you !
Not “very” sharp. No problems.

You just photographed a Moire pattern. It results from two intersecting grid patterns. Sometimes you can even see such patterns in natural surroundings with your own eyes.

KenLee

Thanks, that makes sense too :)

I'll revisit the scene under similar lighting conditions and see if the moiré is visible to the naked eye.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Natural Moiré patterns aren't in color. Your lens is out-resolving the pixels.

Matt

pegelli

Natural Moiré patterns aren't in color. Your lens is out-resolving the pixels.

Matt
Agree, and a natural moire pattern would also need two back-to-back screens in front of the window but it just looks like a single one to me
I think this moire pattern is caused by the interference between the rows/columns of your sensor with the vertical/horizontal threads of the screen in front of the window.

V

Vivek

Ken can easily check if that is the case. :)

Agree, and a natural moire pattern would also need two back-to-back screens in front of the window but it just looks like a single one to me

V

Vivek

I have a window on a building behind our house that shows this moire pattern with any glass at around f/4-5.6. There is a grill in that window. It took me a while to figure out why plain lemons appear to out resolve a Sony A7R sensor. ;)

I hope he does :)
But even when it's a double screen I think there is some interference with the sensor, otherwise you would not see the colour I think.

KenLee

I looked back in my files: here is a 200% detail section from another exposure, made at the same time but at another distance.

The lens/sensor is almost resolving the window screen, but there is no moiré pattern because in this case there was no "interference between the rows/columns of your sensor with the vertical/horizontal threads of the screen" as pegelli described it.

Moiré or not, my activities did not go unnoticed: this wooden home may look old but it employs a high-tech security system:

Last edited: