The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Still only 3:2 aspect ratio for Sony cameras?

After handling both the new Nikon and Canon mirrorless cameras, it is good to see that they both have multiple
"aspect ratios" that are visible in the EVF. This is an amazing viewing and composition aid and as far as I know, they both include the full RAW file to be played with in post processing.

Where is this with Sony cameras? As far as I can tell, we still only have 3:2 and 16:9 (video). :(

I currently have the Fuji GFX and the aspect ratios in that camera are AWESOME!

Am on the lookout for a faster focusing stills camera but would love to keep a 5:4 aspect ratio.. This is making me lean towards the Nikon at some point in the future (or maybe the new Panasonic) even though the Sony has the better lens line up and focusing...

I also wish the Fuji XT-3 had better aspect ratio options...

I did come across this video that seems to have a basic 4:3 option but I have a feeling this only works in video mode? It is shown at the 0.28 second mark. Can anybody confirm this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqCQ-4ySNoA[SUB][/SUB]

Would love to hear your thoughts, thanks in advance!

P.S Anybody replying saying that you can simply crop in post, in my opinion, it is not even close to the same experience... That is not what I am looking for..

V

Vivek

You now have a choice in Nikon if you do not want to crop it in the post.
I saw a Z in action yesterday. It is tiny. Very similar in size to Sony.

The chances of Sony bringing different aspects are similar to acceeding to many user requests- none.

iiiNelson

After handling both the new Nikon and Canon mirrorless cameras, it is good to see that they both have multiple
"aspect ratios" that are visible in the EVF. This is an amazing viewing and composition aid and as far as I know, they both include the full RAW file to be played with in post processing.

Where is this with Sony cameras? As far as I can tell, we still only have 3:2 and 16:9 (video). :(

I currently have the Fuji GFX and the aspect ratios in that camera are AWESOME!

Am on the lookout for a faster focusing stills camera but would love to keep a 5:4 aspect ratio.. This is making me lean towards the Nikon at some point in the future (or maybe the new Panasonic) even though the Sony has the better lens line up and focusing...

I also wish the Fuji XT-3 had better aspect ratio options...

I did come across this video that seems to have a basic 4:3 option but I have a feeling this only works in video mode? It is shown at the 0.28 second mark. Can anybody confirm this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqCQ-4ySNoA

Would love to hear your thoughts, thanks in advance!

P.S Anybody replying saying that you can simply crop in post, in my opinion, it is not even close to the same experience... That is not what I am looking for..
Yeah it’s a disappointing thing and yes you’re still limited to 3:2 and 16:9 in photo mode. Ironically in video mode you have many more cropping options to include panorama modes like 2.35:1, 2.39:1, and 2.40:1 which of course are your common movie cropped modes. I too would definitely like to see So y copy exactly what’s included in the GFX cameras as they just get it right.

Theres still hope that maybe they figure this out in the near near future and maybe Panasonic will to but I imagine they’d stick to their traditional photo crops of 3:2, 4:3, 1:1, and 16:9... but maybe I’m wrong about that. For me Nikon isn’t an option but there are those that like it. I just don’t believe it to be “there” yet in direct comparison to the Sony cameras in performance or lens selection today. There are subjective factors to consider which may be fine or great for you but for me (never having owned Nikon cameras) they mean nothing at all.

pegelli

It's my hope that this is one of the things Sony will implement being pressured by competitive offers of other brands.

If they're really smart they make it "user adjustable", just like the custom aspect ratio's in Lightroom. Because if they implement a few fixed ratio's there will always be people that will miss their own favourite ratio. Wishfull thinking probably, but still a wish :salute:

Personally I don't want or need it, but I can see the value for others and it's always nice to have one thing less to complain about :toocool:

V

Vivek

I would still like a FW update for the RX1.

That would happen, perhaps, in a parallel universe!:facesmack:

KenLee

4x5 Aspect Ratio​

Here's an "analog" approach which allows us to configure an infinite variety of aspect ratios without having to hack into the firmware.

These are just strips of blue painters tape but industry engineers refer to them as AARSAS: Adjustable Aspect Ratio Simulation Adhesive Strips.

My lawyers have advised me not to share this information publicly because I am embroiled in a huge patent infringement lawsuit over both the invention itself and the naming of the technology - but I don't care. The world needs to know about this. It's an invention that changes everything.

Last edited:

DougDolde

Why not a 3:4 aspect ratio sensor like medium format and some compacts ? 2:3 is a holdover from film

pegelli

Why not a 3:4 aspect ratio sensor like medium format and some compacts ? 2:3 is a holdover from film
I think any fixed ratio is ideal for some and a curse for others.

So I think it's best to get a camera that has the aspect ratio's in the viewfinder or on the LCD that meet your needs when cropping in post is not to your liking.

I think any fixed ratio is ideal for some and a curse for others. So I think it's best to get a camera that has the aspect ratio's in the viewfinder or on the LCD that meet your needs when cropping in post is not to your liking.
I shoot 35mm, 6x6 and 4x5. I generally compose and print to the aspect ratio of the camera. Sometimes I crop to 7x17.

KenLee

24x36mm sensor cropped to 24x30mm (4x5 ratio)​

Aesthetics aside, cropping the 2x3 sensor eliminates the extremes of lens coverage where image quality declines.

scho

I always felt more comfortable using 6x6 or 4x3 format when using film and MF digital. The old 35mm film 2x3 ratio is fine for some semi-panoramic, western wide open landscapes but not appropriate for anything else.

KenLee

The emphasis on 2:3 - and the 16:9 ratio which it contains - may persist because these still cameras do double-duty as video capture devices.

Television and other displays are typically in the wide-screen format.

TimoK

I purchased this Hoodman model from B&H

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1353036-REG/hoodman_h30mb_hoodloupe_3_0_outdoor_loop.html?sts=pi

I'll publish a lengthy in-depth review with extensive blow-by-blow hot air
I hope so, because this is very important thing when composing a picture and perhaps a loupe, Hoodman or a nobrand helps.

The emphasis on 2:3 - and the 16:9 ratio which it contains - may persist because these still cameras do double-duty as video capture devices.

Television and other displays are typically in the wide-screen format.
I don't understand this. I want to have different aspect ratios in viewfinder to help composition in capturing time. That helps you when you have to composite your pictures in quickly moving situation, or simply said, in situation. But I also want to have the possibility to get the non-cropped raws to correct my misframed photos in post.

KenLee

I don't understand this. I want to have different aspect ratios in viewfinder to help composition in capturing time. That helps you when you have to composite your pictures in quickly moving situation, or simply said, in situation. But I also want to have the possibility to get the non-cropped raws to correct my misframed photos in post.
Many would agree that we should be given a wide choice of options for cropping in-camera. We shouldn't have to put tape on the EVF. If I were in charge, I'd let the photographer specify arbitrary ratios on the fly. Want 5x7 or 1x2 ? Just dial it in.