The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Still only 3:2 aspect ratio for Sony cameras?

algrove

The Fujis have a ton of choices these days. Can't believe Sony hasn't done it by FW like Vivek says.

KenLee

Doesn't the aspect ratio selection only affect the in camera jpeg?
When I set my A7RII to the 16x9 ratio, the viewfinder image is 16x9 and the resulting ARW (raw) image file is 4472 x 7952 pixels, which matches the 16x9 ratio.

Last edited:

KenLee

I purchased this Hoodman model from B&H

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1353036-REG/hoodman_h30mb_hoodloupe_3_0_outdoor_loop.html?sts=pi

I'll publish a lengthy in-depth review with extensive blow-by-blow hot air :cool:
The Hoodman loupe works as designed: in very bright light you can effectively view the EVF. If the EVF has been masked to a different ratio, you can compose in that ratio. I'd rather have in-camera control of aspect ratio but this solution can mimic that feature at an affordable price point.

The Diopter adjustment works nicely and you see a clear image with no barrel or pincushion distortion. I'd avoid cheaper models which offer no diopter adjustment.

Higher-end models like the Zacuto (designed for video) let you attach the device permanently which is ideal for long periods of hand-held shooting but this model costs a fraction of the price. It works best when your camera is tripod-mounted, you carry the loupe on a lanyard and use it to make fine adjustment to composition and exposure.

In other words, it functions best when you use it like a loupe.

I hope so, because this is very important thing when composing a picture and perhaps a loupe, Hoodman or a nobrand helps.

I don't understand this. I want to have different aspect ratios in viewfinder to help composition in capturing time. That helps you when you have to composite your pictures in quickly moving situation, or simply said, in situation. But I also want to have the possibility to get the non-cropped raws to correct my misframed photos in post.

Thanks for all the responses, glad to see that I am not the only one that finds this frustrating with Sony cameras...:(

The Hoodman Loupe (or similar) is something I have tried but basically I grew pretty tired of it pretty quickly... The LCD is not as good quality as the EVF so I found my eye getting sore quicker... Also, it just adds bulk to the whole system and is awkward to hold this way...

If going this route, I found the cheaper versions that have the magnetic strips to be the best, as it still attaches to the rear (without needing pressure) but can be detached easily...

To answer your above comment, Sony does not provide these "in camera" aspect ratios unfortunately... The Fuji GFX does this perfectly, gives you a range of options

https://diglloyd.com/prem/s/MF/FujifilmGFX/FujifilmGFX-aspectRatios.html

but still leaves you with the full RAW file (4:3 at 51mp). Perfect! :)

As far as I know, both the Canon and Nikon now have similar aspect ratios (although not as many options) that can be viewed in the EVF and still leave the whole (3:2) sensor area available..

Unfortunately, it is only Sony that has kept just the 3:2 aspect ratio available and 16:9 for video purposes... Although according to Ken, this is cropped in camera..

I will possibly wait to see where the Nikon/Canon mirrorless cameras are in the next generation... Or maybe even the new Panasonic...

pflower

24x36mm sensor cropped to 24x30mm (4x5 ratio)​

Aesthetics aside, cropping the 2x3 sensor eliminates the extremes of lens coverage where image quality declines.
I like both formats - 4x3 (as produced by my X1D) and the 3x2 format as out of DSLRs. One thing I have noticed is that my old Voigtlander 21mm Color Skopar was completely unusable on the A7II but performs very well on the A7Riii except for the extreme right edge where things fall off significantly. Cropping to 4x3 in Lightroom and adjusting so as to eliminate just the right hand side of the frame now makes the lens useable. Batch processing is easy. So for that use different formats in the viewfinder wouldn't be of help. I just have to frame in the knowledge that I am going to lose about 5% of the right hand side of the frame.

In fact my X1D has a whole range of formats one can choose and which show up in the viewfinder, but you still end up with the full RAW file - although Phocus will acknowledge the change of format. I've played with it but never used it seriously. Since you end with the full frame then whatever crop you use is going to result in a subtraction from the full frame in post, then precise framing is better done in post.

I can see that for some choosing a different crop factor in the viewfinder might help for compositional purposes, but at the end of the day unless you are shooting jpegs you are still going to have to do the crop in post by subtracting from the full frame. But I acknowledge that some really like this feature.

Pradeep

Nobody and nothing is perfect, that includes cameras.

Over the past 19 yrs I have owned and used digital cameras from Sony, Leica, Phase One, Fuji, Lumix, Sigma, Olympus, DXO, Pentax and of course Canon. Nikon perhaps is the one major brand I have not owned. I have tried all the native aspect ratios these brands have had to offer, including of course the 4:3 of the Medium format from Phase and Pentax, the APS-C and APS-H from Canon, and the various 'dial-in' ratios that can be programmed, apart from the sensor's original one.

There is no way a single brand can fulfill everyone's expectations in everything. If you have your favorite aspect ratio, the AF speed may not be good enough, the High ISO maybe too noisy, the card slots may be limited, the lens choice may be limited etc.

There was one time when I went to Africa juggling three systems - Canon (1DX, 7D2), Pentax 645Z and Sony A7Rii, along with the attendant lenses. Almost killed myself carrying all that gear! I wanted the 'best of everything'. Learned the hard way that it is a myth, and that one has to choose the best options from a priority list and then live with the compromises.

After all the testing and what not, I have settled for the Sony system, because FOR ME, it checks the most important boxes. I also believe they have done more with firmware upgrades than Canon ever did - the latest a9 offerings are nothing short of astonishing, as an example of what can be accomplished with just software.

Interestingly, on most of my photo tours in the past five years, I was the only one who had a Sony camera, everyone else was either with Canon or Nikon. Even as recently as September 2018, people viewed my Sony cameras as mere curiosities, despite the excellent images they helped me make. Suddenly, it all changed and on the latest tour of Antartica in November, the tour leader himself had a Z7 and one other person the Canon R. Mirrorless was now in! I was hearing all the virtues of mirrorless and how it was going to change the world. Two other people had Fuji cameras. I was quite amused at the turnaround in perception.

Sony has always had a bit of a bad rap, playing catch-up all these years. No longer. IMHO it is still very much ahead of the curve and others are just realizing they better get on the bus else they will miss it.

I predict in less than five years, there will be no more new DSLRs from these major brands, everything will be mirrorless.

And of course by then most brands would have a variety of aspect ratios to choose from, if that is really what's most important to us.

archivue

I think any fixed ratio is ideal for some and a curse for others.

So I think it's best to get a camera that has the aspect ratio's in the viewfinder or on the LCD that meet your needs when cropping in post is not to your liking.
As a pro, i have to shoot different aspect ratio... it depends on the client needs...

Just checked out the two new Nikon mirrorless cameras and the higher priced Z7 has a 5:4 aspect ratio, whilst for some insane reason the Z6 does not...

Was thinking of getting the Z6 for video but this unfortunately might make me wait....