Site Sponsors

Thread: Still only 3:2 aspect ratio for Sony cameras?

Post Thanks / Like

Still only 3:2 aspect ratio for Sony cameras?

After handling both the new Nikon and Canon mirrorless cameras, it is good to see that they both have multiple
    "aspect ratios" that are visible in the EVF. This is an amazing viewing and composition aid and as far as I know, they both include the full RAW file to be played with in post processing.

Where is this with Sony cameras? As far as I can tell, we still only have 3:2 and 16:9 (video).

I currently have the Fuji GFX and the aspect ratios in that camera are AWESOME!

Am on the lookout for a faster focusing stills camera but would love to keep a 5:4 aspect ratio.. This is making me lean towards the Nikon at some point in the future (or maybe the new Panasonic) even though the Sony has the better lens line up and focusing...

I also wish the Fuji XT-3 had better aspect ratio options...

I did come across this video that seems to have a basic 4:3 option but I have a feeling this only works in video mode? It is shown at the 0.28 second mark. Can anybody confirm this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqCQ-4ySNoA

Would love to hear your thoughts, thanks in advance!

P.S Anybody replying saying that you can simply crop in post, in my opinion, it is not even close to the same experience... That is not what I am looking for..
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Vivek

Re: Still only 3:2 aspect ratio for Sony cameras?

You now have a choice in Nikon if you do not want to crop it in the post.
    I saw a Z in action yesterday. It is tiny. Very similar in size to Sony.

The chances of Sony bringing different aspects are similar to acceeding to many user requests- none.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wallpaperviking View Post
    After handling both the new Nikon and Canon mirrorless cameras, it is good to see that they both have multiple
    "aspect ratios" that are visible in the EVF. This is an amazing viewing and composition aid and as far as I know, they both include the full RAW file to be played with in post processing.

Where is this with Sony cameras? As far as I can tell, we still only have 3:2 and 16:9 (video).

I currently have the Fuji GFX and the aspect ratios in that camera are AWESOME!

Am on the lookout for a faster focusing stills camera but would love to keep a 5:4 aspect ratio.. This is making me lean towards the Nikon at some point in the future (or maybe the new Panasonic) even though the Sony has the better lens line up and focusing...

I also wish the Fuji XT-3 had better aspect ratio options...

I did come across this video that seems to have a basic 4:3 option but I have a feeling this only works in video mode? It is shown at the 0.28 second mark. Can anybody confirm this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqCQ-4ySNoA

Would love to hear your thoughts, thanks in advance!

P.S Anybody replying saying that you can simply crop in post, in my opinion, it is not even close to the same experience... That is not what I am looking for..
    Yeah it’s a disappointing thing and yes you’re still limited to 3:2 and 16:9 in photo mode. Ironically in video mode you have many more cropping options to include panorama modes like 2.35:1, 2.39:1, and 2.40:1 which of course are your common movie cropped modes. I too would definitely like to see So y copy exactly what’s included in the GFX cameras as they just get it right.

Theres still hope that maybe they figure this out in the near near future and maybe Panasonic will to but I imagine they’d stick to their traditional photo crops of 3:2, 4:3, 1:1, and 16:9... but maybe I’m wrong about that. For me Nikon isn’t an option but there are those that like it. I just don’t believe it to be “there” yet in direct comparison to the Sony cameras in performance or lens selection today. There are subjective factors to consider which may be fine or great for you but for me (never having owned Nikon cameras) they mean nothing at all.
    Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

It's my hope that this is one of the things Sony will implement being pressured by competitive offers of other brands.

If they're really smart they make it "user adjustable", just like the custom aspect ratio's in Lightroom. Because if they implement a few fixed ratio's there will always be people that will miss their own favourite ratio. Wishfull thinking probably, but still a wish

Personally I don't want or need it, but I can see the value for others and it's always nice to have one thing less to complain about
    My Pics

Vivek

I would still like a FW update for the RX1.

That would happen, perhaps, in a parallel universe!

Post Thanks / Like

4x5 Aspect Ratio

Here's an "analog" approach which allows us to configure an infinite variety of aspect ratios without having to hack into the firmware.

These are just strips of blue painters tape but industry engineers refer to them as AARSAS: Adjustable Aspect Ratio Simulation Adhesive Strips.

My lawyers have advised me not to share this information publicly because I am embroiled in a huge patent infringement lawsuit over both the invention itself and the naming of the technology - but I don't care. The world needs to know about this. It's an invention that changes everything.
    Last edited by KenLee; 28th December 2018 at 07:16.
    www.kennethmorrislee.com
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Vivek

Now, what impetus is there for Sony to issue FW updates?

Post Thanks / Like

Why not a 3:4 aspect ratio sensor like medium format and some compacts ? 2:3 is a holdover from film

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    Why not a 3:4 aspect ratio sensor like medium format and some compacts ? 2:3 is a holdover from film
    I think any fixed ratio is ideal for some and a curse for others.

So I think it's best to get a camera that has the aspect ratio's in the viewfinder or on the LCD that meet your needs when cropping in post is not to your liking.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pegelli View Post
    I think any fixed ratio is ideal for some and a curse for others. So I think it's best to get a camera that has the aspect ratio's in the viewfinder or on the LCD that meet your needs when cropping in post is not to your liking.
    I shoot 35mm, 6x6 and 4x5. I generally compose and print to the aspect ratio of the camera. Sometimes I crop to 7x17.

Post Thanks / Like

24x36mm sensor cropped to 24x30mm (4x5 ratio)

Aesthetics aside, cropping the 2x3 sensor eliminates the extremes of lens coverage where image quality declines.
    www.kennethmorrislee.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I always felt more comfortable using 6x6 or 4x3 format when using film and MF digital. The old 35mm film 2x3 ratio is fine for some semi-panoramic, western wide open landscapes but not appropriate for anything else.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post

The emphasis on 2:3 - and the 16:9 ratio which it contains - may persist because these still cameras do double-duty as video capture devices.

Television and other displays are typically in the wide-screen format.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    The old 35mm film 2x3 ratio is fine for some semi-panoramic, western wide open landscapes but not appropriate for anything else.
    Really?

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of aspect ratio, I have to admit that masking the EVF with blue painter's tape is often useless under bright outdoor lighting because the rear EVF is just too dark.

Has anyone ever tried this sort of thing ? If the EVF is masked to the correct aspect ratio, the effect should resemble in-camera cropping... no ?

See https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Viewfinder-Protector-Sunshade-Magnification/dp/B075DD877N

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased this Hoodman model from B&H

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...op.html?sts=pi

I'll publish a lengthy in-depth review with extensive blow-by-blow hot air
    www.kennethmorrislee.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KenLee View Post

I hope so, because this is very important thing when composing a picture and perhaps a loupe, Hoodman or a nobrand helps.

The emphasis on 2:3 - and the 16:9 ratio which it contains - may persist because these still cameras do double-duty as video capture devices.

Television and other displays are typically in the wide-screen format.
    I don't understand this. I want to have different aspect ratios in viewfinder to help composition in capturing time. That helps you when you have to composite your pictures in quickly moving situation, or simply said, in situation. But I also want to have the possibility to get the non-cropped raws to correct my misframed photos in post.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TimoK View Post
    I don't understand this. I want to have different aspect ratios in viewfinder to help composition in capturing time. That helps you when you have to composite your pictures in quickly moving situation, or simply said, in situation. But I also want to have the possibility to get the non-cropped raws to correct my misframed photos in post.
    Many would agree that we should be given a wide choice of options for cropping in-camera. We shouldn't have to put tape on the EVF. If I were in charge, I'd let the photographer specify arbitrary ratios on the fly. Want 5x7 or 1x2 ? Just dial it in.
    www.kennethmorrislee.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Vivek

FW updates (heresy in Sony world) could accomplish that..

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't the aspect ratio selection only affect the in camera jpeg?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Fujis have a ton of choices these days. Can't believe Sony hasn't done it by FW like Vivek says.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    Doesn't the aspect ratio selection only affect the in camera jpeg?
    When I set my A7RII to the 16x9 ratio, the viewfinder image is 16x9 and the resulting ARW (raw) image file is 4472 x 7952 pixels, which matches the 16x9 ratio.
    Last edited by KenLee; 3rd January 2019 at 14:28.

Post Thanks / Like

The Hoodman loupe works as designed: in very bright light you can effectively view the EVF. If the EVF has been masked to a different ratio, you can compose in that ratio. I'd rather have in-camera control of aspect ratio but this solution can mimic that feature at an affordable price point.

The Diopter adjustment works nicely and you see a clear image with no barrel or pincushion distortion. I'd avoid cheaper models which offer no diopter adjustment.

Higher-end models like the Zacuto (designed for video) let you attach the device permanently which is ideal for long periods of hand-held shooting but this model costs a fraction of the price. It works best when your camera is tripod-mounted, you carry the loupe on a lanyard and use it to make fine adjustment to composition and exposure.

In other words, it functions best when you use it like a loupe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TimoK View Post
    I hope so, because this is very important thing when composing a picture and perhaps a loupe, Hoodman or a nobrand helps.

Thanks for all the responses, glad to see that I am not the only one that finds this frustrating with Sony cameras...

The Hoodman Loupe (or similar) is something I have tried but basically I grew pretty tired of it pretty quickly... The LCD is not as good quality as the EVF so I found my eye getting sore quicker... Also, it just adds bulk to the whole system and is awkward to hold this way...

If going this route, I found the cheaper versions that have the magnetic strips to be the best, as it still attaches to the rear (without needing pressure) but can be detached easily...

To answer your above comment, Sony does not provide these "in camera" aspect ratios unfortunately... The Fuji GFX does this perfectly, gives you a range of options

https://diglloyd.com/prem/s/MF/Fujif...ectRatios.html

but still leaves you with the full RAW file (4:3 at 51mp). Perfect!

As far as I know, both the Canon and Nikon now have similar aspect ratios (although not as many options) that can be viewed in the EVF and still leave the whole (3:2) sensor area available..

Unfortunately, it is only Sony that has kept just the 3:2 aspect ratio available and 16:9 for video purposes... Although according to Ken, this is cropped in camera..

I will possibly wait to see where the Nikon/Canon mirrorless cameras are in the next generation... Or maybe even the new Panasonic...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

24x36mm sensor cropped to 24x30mm (4x5 ratio)

Aesthetics aside, cropping the 2x3 sensor eliminates the extremes of lens coverage where image quality declines.
    I like both formats - 4x3 (as produced by my X1D) and the 3x2 format as out of DSLRs. One thing I have noticed is that my old Voigtlander 21mm Color Skopar was completely unusable on the A7II but performs very well on the A7Riii except for the extreme right edge where things fall off significantly. Cropping to 4x3 in Lightroom and adjusting so as to eliminate just the right hand side of the frame now makes the lens useable. Batch processing is easy. So for that use different formats in the viewfinder wouldn't be of help. I just have to frame in the knowledge that I am going to lose about 5% of the right hand side of the frame.

In fact my X1D has a whole range of formats one can choose and which show up in the viewfinder, but you still end up with the full RAW file - although Phocus will acknowledge the change of format. I've played with it but never used it seriously. Since you end with the full frame then whatever crop you use is going to result in a subtraction from the full frame in post, then precise framing is better done in post.

I can see that for some choosing a different crop factor in the viewfinder might help for compositional purposes, but at the end of the day unless you are shooting jpegs you are still going to have to do the crop in post by subtracting from the full frame. But I acknowledge that some really like this feature.

Vivek

Shock! 1:1 option is coming!

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/impr...des-in-detail/

Applies only to the new generation cameras and not all the current models!

Post Thanks / Like

It's a start.... Still sorta lame though..

I would love a 5:4 crop on the Sony bodies..

Post Thanks / Like

Nobody and nothing is perfect, that includes cameras.

Over the past 19 yrs I have owned and used digital cameras from Sony, Leica, Phase One, Fuji, Lumix, Sigma, Olympus, DXO, Pentax and of course Canon. Nikon perhaps is the one major brand I have not owned. I have tried all the native aspect ratios these brands have had to offer, including of course the 4:3 of the Medium format from Phase and Pentax, the APS-C and APS-H from Canon, and the various 'dial-in' ratios that can be programmed, apart from the sensor's original one.

There is no way a single brand can fulfill everyone's expectations in everything. If you have your favorite aspect ratio, the AF speed may not be good enough, the High ISO maybe too noisy, the card slots may be limited, the lens choice may be limited etc.

There was one time when I went to Africa juggling three systems - Canon (1DX, 7D2), Pentax 645Z and Sony A7Rii, along with the attendant lenses. Almost killed myself carrying all that gear! I wanted the 'best of everything'. Learned the hard way that it is a myth, and that one has to choose the best options from a priority list and then live with the compromises.

After all the testing and what not, I have settled for the Sony system, because FOR ME, it checks the most important boxes. I also believe they have done more with firmware upgrades than Canon ever did - the latest a9 offerings are nothing short of astonishing, as an example of what can be accomplished with just software.

Interestingly, on most of my photo tours in the past five years, I was the only one who had a Sony camera, everyone else was either with Canon or Nikon. Even as recently as September 2018, people viewed my Sony cameras as mere curiosities, despite the excellent images they helped me make. Suddenly, it all changed and on the latest tour of Antartica in November, the tour leader himself had a Z7 and one other person the Canon R. Mirrorless was now in! I was hearing all the virtues of mirrorless and how it was going to change the world. Two other people had Fuji cameras. I was quite amused at the turnaround in perception.

Sony has always had a bit of a bad rap, playing catch-up all these years. No longer. IMHO it is still very much ahead of the curve and others are just realizing they better get on the bus else they will miss it.

I predict in less than five years, there will be no more new DSLRs from these major brands, everything will be mirrorless.

And of course by then most brands would have a variety of aspect ratios to choose from, if that is really what's most important to us.
    Too much to list, let's just say I have a bad case of GAS.........

My stuff: www.pradeepbansal.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pegelli View Post
    I think any fixed ratio is ideal for some and a curse for others.

So I think it's best to get a camera that has the aspect ratio's in the viewfinder or on the LCD that meet your needs when cropping in post is not to your liking.
    As a pro, i have to shoot different aspect ratio... it depends on the client needs...

Post Thanks / Like

Just checked out the two new Nikon mirrorless cameras and the higher priced Z7 has a 5:4 aspect ratio, whilst for some insane reason the Z6 does not...

Was thinking of getting the Z6 for video but this unfortunately might make me wait....