The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What's the consensus of the Sony A7RII now?

V

Vivek

I am an amateur (do not equate that to someone who does not know how things work!) and speak from my experience . Yes, shots are missed due to slowness in AF.

The 55/1.8 focuses slower than the 35/2.8 and the 85/1.8.

The look and the feel of Batis ar enough incentve for me not to spend any money on them.

Ask Zeiss if they have put a distance encoder in their Loxiae.

Tamron did. :)

iiiNelson

I am an amateur (do not equate that to someone who does not know how things work!) and speak from my experience . Yes, shots are missed due to slowness in AF.

The 55/1.8 focuses slower than the 35/2.8 and the 85/1.8.

The look and the feel of Batis ar enough incentve for me not to spend any money on them.

Ask Zeiss if they have put a distance encoder in their Loxiae.

Tamron did. :)
Never said you were an amateur... and again I disagree that the 55 autofocuses slowly just because some lenses MAY focus faster. Doesn’t make a lens slow but slower in a relative sense - and even that becomes debatable into HOW MUCH SLOWER. That’s not my experiences of shooting weddings, portraits, or other types of photography with it. The point was not to disparage you personally but to speak on topic of helping the original poster and Tim. You provide statements without personal or comparative context that read as an absolute statement without many qualifiers - which elicit certain responses.

Take it for what it’s worth.

Look and feel of Batis... that’s 100% subjective (yet valid for you) and if that’s the ultimate aim versus how the lens may or may not perform then fine. I’ve found them to be good performers. For hybrid/video the Batis lenses may have an edge and be a better choice compared to some other native lenses as it’s smoother and more quiet than the 85/1.8 Sony lens for instance.

Sure I COULD ask Zeiss about a distance encoder. Perhaps you’re correct about that. I’ll see what they say.

doug

I've been using the a7rII for a couple of years and have come to prefer the EVF over most OVFs. My use has primarily been with legacy SLR lenses with a recent (~ 1 year) addition of the 100-400 GM.

I've had no significant operational issues apart from battery life, especially when I put the camera away with it switched on :facesmack:

Red Fox, Denali National Park Alaska
a7rII, 100-400 GM

Yellow-headed Blackbird, Sierra Valley California
a7rII with Kolarivision thin cover glass, Canon FD 500mm f/4.5 L

KenLee

Sure I COULD ask Zeiss about a distance encoder. Perhaps you’re correct about that. I’ll see what they say.
Vivek is right as usual. Someone has already done this and shared the reply on Fred Miranda's Sony Forum. Here is the official reply. (Emphasis added)

See https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1574251/13#14701974

"Dear Mike,

Thanks for your inquiry.
Loxia lenses report their exif data and a focusing signal (when the focusing ring is turned) to the camera body, but no distance information.
For details about the steady shot functionality (e.g. 3-axes or 5-axes) with MF type lenses on a certain A7RII type body with a certain camera firmware version, please contact the Sony support in your country directly.

With best regards

Bertram Hönlinger

Bertram Hönlinger
Kundensupport / Customer Support
Camera Lens Division

Carl Zeiss AG
Carl-Zeiss-Straße 22
73447 Oberkochen, Germany"​

Elsewhere in the same thread it is pointed out that the 2 recent manual focus APO Lanthar Cosina Voigtlander lenses for Sony (65 and 110mm) relay distance information and therefore fully support 5-axis stabilization.

For the record I have a Sony A7RII and like it a lot with adapted lenses but I don't use wide angle lenses or autofocus. 99% of the time I shoot with the camera mounted on a tripod at ISO 50 as a portable substitute for a large format view camera.

V

Vivek

My posts were on topic.

I reminded the OP why he sold off his A7rII the first time. ;). Not made in Japan!

I also provided correct and useful information to Tim.

Do yourself and others a favor and stop posting untrue information or mischaracterise what I posted.

The point was not to disparage you personally but to speak on topic of helping the original poster and Tim. You provide statements without personal or comparative context that read as an absolute statement without many qualifiers - which elicit certain responses.

iiiNelson

My posts were on topic.

I reminded the OP why he sold off his A7rII the first time. ;). Not made in Japan!

Do yourself and others a favor and stop posting untrue information or mischaracterise what I posted.
Who cares if a product is made in Japan, China, USA, Thailand, or wherever? I didn’t read where the OP cared or asked about that.

I will concede that inwas incorrect about the diatance information - I have absolutely no qualms about admitting when I’m wrong about anything BUT I will not concede that the 55 is a slow focusing lens. Sorry but I have too many shots across 5 years of use (personal and professional) that dispute that very thing. That is where I say you spread a mischaracterization.

I will do everyone a bigger favor though and spend far less time here and other forums. Personally I’ve become more bored with them and I much rather continue to surround myself in more positive and constructive environments.

I wish you and others well in the future and the new year.

I’m out. If anyone wishes to contact me in the future. My website has contact information to email me.

SrMphoto

Sony vs Nikon consensus? Not likely ;-).

I own and use/used a7rII, a7rIII and Z 7, I think that a7rII is still a decent camera.

IMO, due to ergonomics a7rIII is a much better camera than a7rII. I also think that Z 7 is a better camera than a7rIII (features and ergonomics).

Following various forums, it seems that many Z 7 owners used to own a Sony a7r.

Knorp

My posts were on topic.

Who cares if a product is made in Japan, China, USA, Thailand, or wherever? I didn’t read where the OP cared or asked about that.

I will concede that inwas incorrect about the diatance information - I have absolutely no qualms about admitting when I’m wrong about anything BUT I will not concede that the 55 is a slow focusing lens. Sorry but I have too many shots across 5 years of use (personal and professional) that dispute that very thing. That is where I say you spread a mischaracterization.

I will do everyone a bigger favor though and spend far less time here and other forums. Personally I’ve become more bored with them and I much rather continue to surround myself in more positive and constructive environments.

I wish you and others well in the future and the new year.

I’m out. If anyone wishes to contact me in the future. My website has contact information to email me.

Hopefully, after cooling down somewhat, you come back to your senses and settle this 'incident' between the two of you as gentlemen.

Happy New Year, guys ... :facesmack:

Tim

Hopefully, after cooling down somewhat, you come back to your senses and settle this 'incident' between the two of you as gentlemen.

Happy New Year, guys ... :facesmack:
I feel bad about the angst I caused in this thread.
The A7r II is a genuine consideration I have as while I could find funds for most cameras it comes down to a argument, is it worth more $$ for the images I make.
I don't make a living from photography.
I guess I don't think I am worthy enough creatively to spend a lot. This in itself is a thread on its own.

Sorry to all for the outcome here.

ggibson

The A7rII still stands very strong against the recent competition out there. At used or even new prices, the value is incredible for this camera. I've had mine for almost 3 years, it has held up very well, and I haven't felt the desire to upgrade at all. The sensor is still one of the best on the market (wide angle M performance is far better than earlier A7 models). AF is excellent, even if not best in class any more.

Knorp

The A7r II is a genuine consideration I have as while I could find funds for most cameras it comes down to a argument, is it worth more $$ for the images I make.
I guess I don't think I am worthy enough creatively to spend a lot. This in itself is a thread on its own.

Hi Tim,

Over the years I've witnessed many such quarrels here. It's a never ending story.
People are just being too sharp and/or too sensitive. Really too bad.

I'm sorry too that your simple and valid question caused such a stir.
No need for apologising or blaming yourself, I'd say.

All the best.

PS Although at the time I too felt the urge to 'upgrade', I'm still happily using my A7RII ... :)

V

Vivek

It isn’t Nikon vs Sony, IMO.

Some like the OP apparently do care where a camera is made although most (including myself) do not follow that or have the same poltical conviction. There are several threads on this theme by the OP.

I happen to be in an unique position make/contribute a comment on the sensor stack thickness and old lenses and I did.

Thank you Ken for the quote and the post. That put an end to a recurring defence of Loxia on a feature they do not have.

I shot with the FE 55/1.8, yesterday. It focuses faster in Infrared. :)

Sony vs Nikon consensus? Not likely ;-).

I own and use/used a7rII, a7rIII and Z 7, I think that a7rII is still a decent camera.

IMO, due to ergonomics a7rIII is a much better camera than a7rII. I also think that Z 7 is a better camera than a7rIII (features and ergonomics).

Following various forums, it seems that many Z 7 owners used to own a Sony a7r.

pegelli

I also think that Z 7 is a better camera than a7rIII (features and ergonomics)
One question and one remark:

The remark: Better ergonomics don't exist in my book, it's a personal and subjective judgement, what's good ergonomics for one person is another person's nightmare.

The question: which "features" do you mean that make the Z7 a "better" camera?

picman

Tim, AFAIK, the OP owned an A7rII and sold it probably after realising it was made in Thailand and not Japan.

For old manual lenses, consider the Z instead of the Sony for reason i pointed out.

The 55/1.8 Tre suggests is slow in AF but faster than the 50/1.8. Batii are ugly and huge.

Avoid Loxia. CV offerings are better. They come with distance encoders (unlike the Loxia) and allow you to make use of the 5 axis stabilzation.

:loco: :facesmack: :ROTFL: :thumbdown: :LOL:

tcdeveau

I owned and used the A7RII briefly for about 6 months and had an A7R as well.

The A7RII I found to be a very capable camera with a lot of resolution. It's a great value when you consider today's second hand prices. If someone is looking to jump into the Sony system, I think second hand A7RII's can be a great jumping in spot, but the A7III may be a better fit if one doesn't need the resolution.

The landscape is a little different now then when I had my A7RII and there are many more options, and I'd get out and try them out (Sony A7, Nikon Z, Canon EOS R) before jumping into a system. I got the A7RII because I needed a small and high MP backup system to MF for a few trips at a time a couple years ago when the Nikon Z7 was not available. It did what I needed to and I got some great images out of it, but I'd go with a Z7 if I was making the choice today. I just never felt the connection with the A7RII (or the A7R I had) that I felt when I picked up the Nikon Z. Part of that could simply be because I started out with digital shooting Nikon for years. Not knocking the A7RII, it just wasn't the camera for me.

The issue with the Nikon Z currently, at least for me, is lack of available lenses...which is currently a strength of the Sony system. Then again I believe OP currently shoots Nikon, so a Nikon Z with the FTZ adapter and whatever lenses OP currently has may work for OP.

JoelM

I use the a7rii but mostly with Canon lenses. I only have one native Sony lens, 85/1.8. The Canon lenses are cheaper and in my usage, perform better. Also, they have a 400 f4 and 600 f4 that Sony doesn't have yet. In any case, if Canon comes out with an a7riii competitor with IBIS and a good high density sensor, I will be very tempted to jump ship. But for now, I am very happy with the a7rii.

Joel

iiiNelson

Hey. You didn’t do anything wrong and I apologize to you for my part in making you feel like you did. I was merely offering my suggestions based on my own personal usage. Take it for what you will - my ultimate recommendation on anything is to try it for yourself because we all have our own biases. Things got out of hand but I am mostly still done with all forums these days. Happy New Years to everyone and I hope you’re all doing well.

iiiNelson

Hi Tim,

Over the years I've witnessed many such quarrels here. It's a never ending story.
People are just being too sharp and/or too sensitive. Really too bad.

I'm sorry too that your simple and valid question caused such a stir.
No need for apologising or blaming yourself, I'd say.

All the best.

PS Although at the time I too felt the urge to 'upgrade', I'm still happily using my A7RII ... :)
Hello. Hope you’re well.

Yes things got out of hand and maybe I took out my frustration of constantly reading nonstop trolling over the years on one person - but in any case it is what it is. I probably still won’t be a regular here (or any other forum for that matter) but it was a good run while it lasted.