Site Sponsors

Thread: What's the consensus of the Sony A7RII now?

Post Thanks / Like

What's the consensus of the Sony A7RII now?

There's been a lot of new mirrorless cameras produced since the A7 series. Now that the A7RII has been used in a variety of areas what is the consensus of this camera now? Is it reliable, rugged, and devoid of any major mechanical issues or overheating? This camera represents a great value now as they can be purchased new for approximately $1200 less than when Sony announced this amazing camera. I've come to appreciate an EVF, but still prefer an OVF, but the advantages of using M/or Nikon manual lenses on the Sony have me trying to convince myself I should get one. Although, I've read that wide lenses with oblique angles can be problematic with the Sony A7's, the clean high ISO and excellent low light AF could be convincing enough to add this camera. Any thoughts from users who've put this camera through it's paces in portrait, sports, street or other? How does this camera compare to the new Nikon Z?
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Vivek

Re: What's the consensus of the Sony A7RII now?

Nikon Z7 - made in Japan.

Sony A7rII - made in Thailand.
    ——————————-
    Nikon Z7 - sensor stack thickness = 1.6mm

Sony A7rII = 2.5mm

=> Nikon will play better with old lenses.

Ancient Nikkor P.C. 10.5cm f/2.5 in LTM (made in Japan) on a custom modded monochrome A7rII (1mm sensor glass).

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

————————————-
    Z7 is now offered with an OEM adapter. Allows use of DSLR lenses with AF.

A7rII 3rd party adapter (extra) is iffy.

————————————————

Z7- more mega pixels and made by Nikon in Japan.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Nikon Z7 - made in Japan.

Sony A7rII - made in Thailand.
    覧覧覧覧覧-
    Nikon Z7 - sensor stack thickness = 1.6mm

Sony A7rII = 2.5mm

=> Nikon will play better with old lenses.

覧覧覧覧覧-
    Z7 is now offered with an OEM adapter. Allows use of DSLR lenses with AF.

A7rII 3rd party adapter (extra) is iffy.

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧

Z7- more mega pixels and made by Nikon in Japan.
    I just checked B&H:

Sony A7RII - $1598
    Nikon Z7 - $3396
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jdphoto View Post
    There's been a lot of new mirrorless cameras produced since the A7 series. Now that the A7RII has been used in a variety of areas what is the consensus of this camera now? Is it reliable, rugged, and devoid of any major mechanical issues or overheating? This camera represents a great value now as they can be purchased new for approximately $1200 less than when Sony announced this amazing camera. I've come to appreciate an EVF, but still prefer an OVF, but the advantages of using M/or Nikon manual lenses on the Sony have me trying to convince myself I should get one. Although, I've read that wide lenses with oblique angles can be problematic with the Sony A7's, the clean high ISO and excellent low light AF could be convincing enough to add this camera. Any thoughts from users who've put this camera through it's paces in portrait, sports, street or other? How does this camera compare to the new Nikon Z?
    Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    I just checked B&H:

Sony A7RII - $1598
    Nikon Z7 - $3396
    The only issue, I have with my A7R II, is that for fast action shots it sometimes focus hunts. So it can get some of those shots, but it also loses some. That's why I also have an A9. But for landscapes and such the A7R II is the better camera.
    With best regards, K-H.

Vivek

Falun Dafa activists demonstrating against China in Amsterdam.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

Sony A7rII(m), Nikkor P.C. 10.5cm, f/2.5

Many have converted their stock A7rII with a Kolari thin filter (extra $$) so that it will fare better with old lenses.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jdphoto View Post
    I don稚 own any Nikon Z cameras but performance wise I壇 say they are comparable to the A7RII... I壇 say the generation 3 Sony痴 (to include the A9) are better in general than the new Nikon and Canon bodies.

In real world use I致e never had any issues with my Sony Cameras. They致e been all over the world with me to include trips to Europe, Africa, Latin America/Carribean, and all of North America... I致e used them for both personal and professional usage. No issues at all. I do very limited video so I can稚 speak on any issues that may be present for heavy video users. For M lenses it depends on the lens you own. Some work done but others not so much. For SLR Lenses - I致e never had issues on Sony lenses personally but other people may have different experiences.

Maybe the answer is to maybe rent one for a weekend and test it for yourself.
    Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

First up thank you to the OP for posing these two points as I am considering the same.
    faberryman's brief price analysis shows that I could have a A7R II and a Loxia for about the same as the Z7.

I travel simple and light, usually a GR and a ICL camera with a 50mm or equivalent.
    Lately I have been using a Fuji XE3 and the 35mm f2 (50) but either camera or I have been missing focus a lot of the time. Not sure whats up.
    Additionally with some cropping from the XE3 files I have been disappointed with larger prints so am considering jumping ship to an "old" A7R II and a Loxia.
    I'm used to manual focus from my OM4 and Zuiko days.

Its tempting.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    First up thank you to the OP for posing these two points as I am considering the same.
    faberryman's brief price analysis shows that I could have a A7R II and a Loxia for about the same as the Z7.

I travel simple and light, usually a GR and a ICL camera with a 50mm or equivalent.
    Lately I have been using a Fuji XE3 and the 35mm f2 (50) but either camera or I have been missing focus a lot of the time. Not sure whats up.
    Additionally with some cropping from the XE3 files I have been disappointed with larger prints so am considering jumping ship to an "old" A7R II and a Loxia.

Its tempting.
    With adapting I generally only recommend doing so if you’re using vintage lenses for a particular look. Otherwise I generally suggest going native. There are enough great options now to cover the needs of most with a few obvious gaps and omissions that will likely come in the future. In any case though I think most people would be happy with the performance of the Loxia, Batis, Sony Zeiss, or G-Master lenses... there are a handful of great gems in the Sony G and third party lineups too from Voigtlander, Tamron, etc.

If considering the Loxia 50 and a A7RII... it’ll cost you slightly more than a A7III body only and if you shop used you may find the 50 Loxia in the $500-700 range depending on condition. Even still the 55/1.8 is worth considering too and paired with the 28/2 (or 24GM) it makes a pretty light Autofocus combination. I haven’t seen any major focusing issues with the A7RII and I will say my keeper and in focus rate is very high when used for weddings.

Really my only major gripes (that haven’t been addressed in the subsequent model) is that the ergonomics (without the grip) could be improved when using the larger lens options (for instance allow the body size to grow on a future model to be close in size to the Fujifilm XH1 as this seems to be what the new Panasonic LUMIX S line is sized around) and I’d like the option of having additional aspect ratios in camera.

Vivek

Tim, AFAIK, the OP owned an A7rII and sold it probably after realising it was made in Thailand and not Japan.

For old manual lenses, consider the Z instead of the Sony for reason i pointed out.

The 55/1.8 Tre suggests is slow in AF but faster than the 50/1.8. Batii are ugly and huge.

Avoid Loxia. CV offerings are better. They come with distance encoders (unlike the Loxia) and allow you to make use of the 5 axis stabilzation.

Its tempting.

Post Thanks / Like

Tim, AFAIK, the OP owned an A7rII and sold it probably after realising it was made in Thailand and not Japan.

For old manual lenses, consider the Z instead of the Sony for reason i pointed out.

The 55/1.8 Tre suggests is slow in AF but faster than the 50/1.8. Batii are ugly and huge.

Avoid Loxia. CV offerings are better. They come with distance encoders (unlike the Loxia) and allow you to make use of the 5 axis stabilzation.
    I am surprised that the Loxia's can't make use of the IBIS. This is not a reported fact on a number of video reviews I have watched. Thx.

I will investigate the Z thoroughly.

Vivek

Loxiae can not make full use of the IBIS. With them it is like any other adapted lens with a dumb adapter as far as IBIS is concerned. 3 axis only.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Loxiae can not make full use of the IBIS. With them it is like any other adapted lens with a dumb adapter as far as IBIS is concerned. 3 axis only.
    Loxia are chipped and can make full use of the 5 axis IBIS.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The 55/1.8 is NOT slow in AF... it is actually one of the faster focusing lenses but I致e updated the lens firmware to the latest version as well. Batis lenses are not 塗uge but the 135 and 18 are larger that the 25, 40, and 85... ugliness is in the eye of the beholder. Loxia lenses again are chipped and provide full metadata like the CV lenses which allow full ability of 5 axis.

I understand you have your list of issues with the Sony and it痴 valid for you but please let痴 not spread disinformation.

Vivek

Can you point to an official zeiss wording that supports this claim?

Chipped does not equal it has tne distance encoder. The TAP adapter, for example is 田hipped.

Quote Originally Posted by iiiNelson View Post
    Loxia are chipped and can make full use of the 5 axis IBIS.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Consensus?
    With best regards, K-H.

Vivek

The 55/1.8 is slower than the 35/2.8. I have both and use them it is based on experience and not made up!

Infact, the Samyang 24/2.8 is faster!

Batis , ha, ha, there is a thread on FM. I am not alone in that.

Before you start atrocious claims, check your sources!

The 55/1.8 is NOT slow in AF... it is actually one of the faster focusing lenses but I’ve updated the lens firmware to the latest version as well. Batis lenses are not “huge” but the 135 and 18 are larger that the 25, 40, and 85... ugliness is in the eye of the beholder. Loxia lenses again are chipped and provide full metadata like the CV lenses which allow full ability of 5 axis.

I understand you have your list of issues with the Sony and it’s valid for you but please let’s not spread disinformation.

Vivek

Anyone starting anew with mirrorless and wants to use old manual focus lenses is better off with a Nikon Z than a Sony- based on a fact!

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Consensus?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone starting anew with mirrorless and wants to use old manual focus lenses is better off with a Nikon Z than a Sony- based on a fact!
    No Vivek, that depends.
    With best regards, K-H.

Vivek

K-H, If you are not worried about fuzzy corners and other gremlins, a thick sensor stack might do, I suppose. Then one loses that lens characteristics that is sought after in the old lenses.

I have sensors with no cover glass and with very thin cover glasses. I can also vary glass thickness in the optical path by adding drop in filters. I can see the differences.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The 55/1.8 is slower than the 35/2.8. I have both and use them it is based on experience and not made up!

Infact, the Samyang 24/2.8 is faster!

Batis , ha, ha, there is a thread on FM. I am not alone in that.

Before you start atrocious claims, check your sources!
    Lets see. I owned the 35/2.8 (sold it) and I still own the 55. So there痴 that. I don稚 own the 24/2.8 and probably never will because it doesn稚 interest me.

As for the Batis lenses I own the 85 and owned the 25. I致e seen the 40 and tested the 18 and 135... so the point is that I don稚 care about a thread on FM... I care about people actually using lenses and providing their actual constructive experiences/critiques of performance in actual use in defined situations of the original post - for instance did the Autofocus speed make you miss an actual shot, was this a paid job, or did it work? Also for manual lenses with Nikon they don稚 autofocus. Only the newest ones do but it痴 possible that performance is improved... in any case I致e never experienced issues with SLR lenses but to each their own.

No accusation was made other than the 55/1.8 does not Autofocus slowly. If one is slower than another lens it makes it slower but it doesn稚 necessarily make the lens objectively slow to focus.

Vivek

I am an amateur (do not equate that to someone who does not know how things work!) and speak from my experience . Yes, shots are missed due to slowness in AF.

The 55/1.8 focuses slower than the 35/2.8 and the 85/1.8.

The look and the feel of Batis ar enough incentve for me not to spend any money on them.

Ask Zeiss if they have put a distance encoder in their Loxiae.

Tamron did.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I am an amateur (do not equate that to someone who does not know how things work!) and speak from my experience . Yes, shots are missed due to slowness in AF.

The 55/1.8 focuses slower than the 35/2.8 and the 85/1.8.

The look and the feel of Batis ar enough incentve for me not to spend any money on them.

Ask Zeiss if they have put a distance encoder in their Loxiae.

Tamron did.
    Never said you were an amateur... and again I disagree that the 55 autofocuses slowly just because some lenses MAY focus faster. Doesn’t make a lens slow but slower in a relative sense - and even that becomes debatable into HOW MUCH SLOWER. That’s not my experiences of shooting weddings, portraits, or other types of photography with it. The point was not to disparage you personally but to speak on topic of helping the original poster and Tim. You provide statements without personal or comparative context that read as an absolute statement without many qualifiers - which elicit certain responses.

Take it for what it’s worth.

Look and feel of Batis... that’s 100% subjective (yet valid for you) and if that’s the ultimate aim versus how the lens may or may not perform then fine. I’ve found them to be good performers. For hybrid/video the Batis lenses may have an edge and be a better choice compared to some other native lenses as it’s smoother and more quiet than the 85/1.8 Sony lens for instance.

Sure I COULD ask Zeiss about a distance encoder. Perhaps you’re correct about that. I’ll see what they say.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using the a7rII for a couple of years and have come to prefer the EVF over most OVFs. My use has primarily been with legacy SLR lenses with a recent (~ 1 year) addition of the 100-400 GM.

I've had no significant operational issues apart from battery life, especially when I put the camera away with it switched on

Red Fox, Denali National Park Alaska
    a7rII, 100-400 GM

Yellow-headed Blackbird, Sierra Valley California
    a7rII with Kolarivision thin cover glass, Canon FD 500mm f/4.5 L
    Doug Herr http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

Sure I COULD ask Zeiss about a distance encoder. Perhaps you’re correct about that. I’ll see what they say.
    Vivek is right as usual. Someone has already done this and shared the reply on Fred Miranda's Sony Forum. Here is the official reply. (Emphasis added)

See https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/to...51/13#14701974

"Dear Mike,

Thanks for your inquiry.
    Loxia lenses report their exif data and a focusing signal (when the focusing ring is turned) to the camera body, but no distance information.
    For details about the steady shot functionality (e.g. 3-axes or 5-axes) with MF type lenses on a certain A7RII type body with a certain camera firmware version, please contact the Sony support in your country directly.

With best regards

Bertram Hnlinger

Bertram Hnlinger
    Kundensupport / Customer Support
    Camera Lens Division

Carl Zeiss AG
    Carl-Zeiss-Stra゚e 22
    73447 Oberkochen, Germany"

Elsewhere in the same thread it is pointed out that the 2 recent manual focus APO Lanthar Cosina Voigtlander lenses for Sony (65 and 110mm) relay distance information and therefore fully support 5-axis stabilization.

For the record I have a Sony A7RII and like it a lot with adapted lenses but I don't use wide angle lenses or autofocus. 99% of the time I shoot with the camera mounted on a tripod at ISO 50 as a portable substitute for a large format view camera.
    www.kennethmorrislee.com

Vivek

My posts were on topic.

I reminded the OP why he sold off his A7rII the first time. . Not made in Japan!

I also provided correct and useful information to Tim.

Do yourself and others a favor and stop posting untrue information or mischaracterise what I posted.

The point was not to disparage you personally but to speak on topic of helping the original poster and Tim. You provide statements without personal or comparative context that read as an absolute statement without many qualifiers - which elicit certain responses.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

My posts were on topic.

I reminded the OP why he sold off his A7rII the first time. . Not made in Japan!

Do yourself and others a favor and stop posting untrue information or mischaracterise what I posted.
    Who cares if a product is made in Japan, China, USA, Thailand, or wherever? I didn稚 read where the OP cared or asked about that.

I will concede that inwas incorrect about the diatance information - I have absolutely no qualms about admitting when I知 wrong about anything BUT I will not concede that the 55 is a slow focusing lens. Sorry but I have too many shots across 5 years of use (personal and professional) that dispute that very thing. That is where I say you spread a mischaracterization.

I will do everyone a bigger favor though and spend far less time here and other forums. Personally I致e become more bored with them and I much rather continue to surround myself in more positive and constructive environments.

I wish you and others well in the future and the new year.

I知 out. If anyone wishes to contact me in the future. My website has contact information to email me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sony vs Nikon consensus? Not likely ;-).

I own and use/used a7rII, a7rIII and Z 7, I think that a7rII is still a decent camera.

IMO, due to ergonomics a7rIII is a much better camera than a7rII. I also think that Z 7 is a better camera than a7rIII (features and ergonomics).

Following various forums, it seems that many Z 7 owners used to own a Sony a7r.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

My posts were on topic.

Who cares if a product is made in Japan, China, USA, Thailand, or wherever? I didn稚 read where the OP cared or asked about that.

I will concede that inwas incorrect about the diatance information - I have absolutely no qualms about admitting when I知 wrong about anything BUT I will not concede that the 55 is a slow focusing lens. Sorry but I have too many shots across 5 years of use (personal and professional) that dispute that very thing. That is where I say you spread a mischaracterization.

I will do everyone a bigger favor though and spend far less time here and other forums. Personally I致e become more bored with them and I much rather continue to surround myself in more positive and constructive environments.

I wish you and others well in the future and the new year.

I知 out. If anyone wishes to contact me in the future. My website has contact information to email me.

Hopefully, after cooling down somewhat, you come back to your senses and settle this 'incident' between the two of you as gentlemen.

Happy New Year, guys ...
    Bart ...
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Hopefully, after cooling down somewhat, you come back to your senses and settle this 'incident' between the two of you as gentlemen.

Happy New Year, guys ...
    I feel bad about the angst I caused in this thread.
    The A7r II is a genuine consideration I have as while I could find funds for most cameras it comes down to a argument, is it worth more $$ for the images I make.
    I don't make a living from photography.
    I guess I don't think I am worthy enough creatively to spend a lot. This in itself is a thread on its own.

Sorry to all for the outcome here.

Post Thanks / Like

The A7rII still stands very strong against the recent competition out there. At used or even new prices, the value is incredible for this camera. I've had mine for almost 3 years, it has held up very well, and I haven't felt the desire to upgrade at all. The sensor is still one of the best on the market (wide angle M performance is far better than earlier A7 models). AF is excellent, even if not best in class any more.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/grahamgibson/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The A7r II is a genuine consideration I have as while I could find funds for most cameras it comes down to a argument, is it worth more $$ for the images I make.
    I guess I don't think I am worthy enough creatively to spend a lot. This in itself is a thread on its own.

Hi Tim,

Over the years I've witnessed many such quarrels here. It's a never ending story.
    People are just being too sharp and/or too sensitive. Really too bad.

I'm sorry too that your simple and valid question caused such a stir.
    No need for apologising or blaming yourself, I'd say.

All the best.

PS Although at the time I too felt the urge to 'upgrade', I'm still happily using my A7RII ...
    Bart ...

Vivek

It isn稚 Nikon vs Sony, IMO.

Some like the OP apparently do care where a camera is made although most (including myself) do not follow that or have the same poltical conviction. There are several threads on this theme by the OP.

I happen to be in an unique position make/contribute a comment on the sensor stack thickness and old lenses and I did.

Thank you Ken for the quote and the post. That put an end to a recurring defence of Loxia on a feature they do not have.

I shot with the FE 55/1.8, yesterday. It focuses faster in Infrared.

Quote Originally Posted by SrMphoto View Post
    Sony vs Nikon consensus? Not likely ;-).

I own and use/used a7rII, a7rIII and Z 7, I think that a7rII is still a decent camera.

IMO, due to ergonomics a7rIII is a much better camera than a7rII. I also think that Z 7 is a better camera than a7rIII (features and ergonomics).

Following various forums, it seems that many Z 7 owners used to own a Sony a7r.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SrMphoto View Post
    I also think that Z 7 is a better camera than a7rIII (features and ergonomics)
    One question and one remark:

The remark: Better ergonomics don't exist in my book, it's a personal and subjective judgement, what's good ergonomics for one person is another person's nightmare.

The question: which "features" do you mean that make the Z7 a "better" camera?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I owned and used the A7RII briefly for about 6 months and had an A7R as well.

The A7RII I found to be a very capable camera with a lot of resolution. It's a great value when you consider today's second hand prices. If someone is looking to jump into the Sony system, I think second hand A7RII's can be a great jumping in spot, but the A7III may be a better fit if one doesn't need the resolution.

The landscape is a little different now then when I had my A7RII and there are many more options, and I'd get out and try them out (Sony A7, Nikon Z, Canon EOS R) before jumping into a system. I got the A7RII because I needed a small and high MP backup system to MF for a few trips at a time a couple years ago when the Nikon Z7 was not available. It did what I needed to and I got some great images out of it, but I'd go with a Z7 if I was making the choice today. I just never felt the connection with the A7RII (or the A7R I had) that I felt when I picked up the Nikon Z. Part of that could simply be because I started out with digital shooting Nikon for years. Not knocking the A7RII, it just wasn't the camera for me.

The issue with the Nikon Z currently, at least for me, is lack of available lenses...which is currently a strength of the Sony system. Then again I believe OP currently shoots Nikon, so a Nikon Z with the FTZ adapter and whatever lenses OP currently has may work for OP.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the a7rii but mostly with Canon lenses. I only have one native Sony lens, 85/1.8. The Canon lenses are cheaper and in my usage, perform better. Also, they have a 400 f4 and 600 f4 that Sony doesn't have yet. In any case, if Canon comes out with an a7riii competitor with IBIS and a good high density sensor, I will be very tempted to jump ship. But for now, I am very happy with the a7rii.

Joel

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey. You didn稚 do anything wrong and I apologize to you for my part in making you feel like you did. I was merely offering my suggestions based on my own personal usage. Take it for what you will - my ultimate recommendation on anything is to try it for yourself because we all have our own biases. Things got out of hand but I am mostly still done with all forums these days. Happy New Years to everyone and I hope you池e all doing well.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Hi Tim,

Over the years I've witnessed many such quarrels here. It's a never ending story.
    People are just being too sharp and/or too sensitive. Really too bad.

I'm sorry too that your simple and valid question caused such a stir.
    No need for apologising or blaming yourself, I'd say.

All the best.

PS Although at the time I too felt the urge to 'upgrade', I'm still happily using my A7RII ...
    Hello. Hope you池e well.

Yes things got out of hand and maybe I took out my frustration of constantly reading nonstop trolling over the years on one person - but in any case it is what it is. I probably still won稚 be a regular here (or any other forum for that matter) but it was a good run while it lasted.
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post