The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wide angle LF lenses for Sony E-mount recommendation

I use a Cambo Ultima 35 and im planning to get an Actus (which allow me to gain few more mm in flange distance)
and im bot using a canon 5DSR and a Sony a7riii
I believe im gonna move to full mirrorless at some point, but i'd like to have lenses that can work for both syystems at infinity (possibly)

im looking for lenses below 65mm focal (above 65 they seem to work for sure, based on manufacturers catalogues)
but im struggling to understand how to calculate the usability, given the foncal distance of each lens

by mistake i bough a Apo Digitar 24mm that luckly i was able to sell for same price i bought, but it became clear it was meant only for digital backs, not even mirrorless...

do i have to subtract (Flange Distance - rear elements lenght) to get the usable distance? how many mm are good enought so not to collide the lens wiht the camera and let some movements?

is there a list somewhere to see the compatibility of Schneider and Rodenstock lenses?

anyways.. if any of you have a recommendation or can show your current lens collection for Sony would be great!

TimoK

The shortest tech lens you can use with Actus or Ultima is 60mm if I know. I have used 60mm SK Apo-digitar (non XL) with Actus and Sony 7r. But not possible with Canon. Canon's body is too thick (44mm). Sony E-mount body is 18mm.
I think your math is correct. You only have to also subtract camera body flange. Lens' flange distance - rear element's length - body flange = free space between rear lens and camera body. All lens makers don't tell rear element's length. I have guessed it were about half of lenses full length.
You mentioned Grandagon 35mm in other thread. It's focal flange is 43,2 mm, the length of the lens is 55,7 mm( half is ~28mm) and some mms takes actus' camera mount. So, lets count: 43,2 - 28 -18 = -2,8 ,not working. You should push the lens inside of the camera mount. But the diameter of rear lens is bigger than E-mount diameter.
But there is also possible to use medium format srl lenses with Actus and Ultima. My widest "Actus lens" is 50mm Hasselblad Distagon. It works with Canon body too.
I'm dreaming of 40mm Distagon, but they are still too expensive for me.
Cambo has lens plates also for Pentax 645 and Mamiya 645 lenses. If I remember both have 35mm lenses.

MrSmith

with the A7R II and Actus I'm 99% sure a 55mm APO-Grandagon works and has the resolving power to produce good results.
i know a 45mm apo digitar will not focus at infinity or anything usable (that went back to the shop)
a 60mm apo digitar will work fine, i do not know if the 60mm 5.6 schneider 5.6 XL works as it is a much bigger lens than the the older 60mm 4.5 digitar.

cambo will rehouse a Contax zeiss 35mm for you which will end up cheaper than the Hblad zeiss 40mm (IF version)

there is a 47mm XL apo digitar but i have no idea if that is compatible with Sony A7/canon bodies.