The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Voigtlander 50/1.2 and 21/1.4

iiiNelson

These are certainly very interesting to me. Thinking I may get them both as my personal walk around/travel vacation kit as they’d likely do everything with a telephoto option like the 70-300.

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/voi...mm-f-1-2-fe-and-the-new-21mm-f-1-4-fe-lenses/

Still holding out on the desire that Sony introduces a slightly larger body option for use with Sony Zeiss/G-Master lenses but in the mean time the grip mostly does it for me.

Knorp

I'm interested in that 50/1.2, but only if it's razor sharp wide open ...

Last edited:

ggibson

From a couple reports, the VM version of the 50/1.2 is even very slightly better than the 40/1.2 (hard to imagine, based on my experience with the 40!).

If the 21/1.4 is anything like their f1.8 VM version though, coma will be bad for astro. Aside from astro work, I don't see a lot of compelling reasons to have such a fast aperture at this focal length, but to each his own. The CV 21/3.5 appeals to me more due to the small size.

Voigtlander is really putting out some great lenses for E-mount lately. I really enjoyed traveling with the 15/4.5 and 40/1.2 as my main lenses on a recent vacation.

iiiNelson

From a couple reports, the VM version of the 50/1.2 is even very slightly better than the 40/1.2 (hard to imagine, based on my experience with the 40!).

If the 21/1.4 is anything like their f1.8 VM version though, coma will be bad for astro. Aside from astro work, I don't see a lot of compelling reasons to have such a fast aperture at this focal length, but to each his own. The CV 21/3.5 appeals to me more due to the small size.

Voigtlander is really putting out some great lenses for E-mount lately. I really enjoyed traveling with the 15/4.5 and 40/1.2 as my main lenses on a recent vacation.
I liked the 21/1.8 Ultron for lowlight street shooting at night personally. I don’t do astrophotography personally but I did like the 21mm focal length and I do think f/1.4 is “necessary” for lowlight at times for night time shooting more than for DoF purposes on wider lenses since that’s also a function of shooting distance too.

In any case the choices are great and im rarely concerned about size alone. The manual nature will ensure they’re smaller lenses compared to the AF versions. I’ve also read the same about the 50/1.2 and it’s a no brained for those without a fast 50. I only own the 55/1.8 so I was already eyeing the 40/1.2.