The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss Loxia 25mm - Fit/Remove Problem

KeithDM

Part of an email sent to Zeiss regarding an issue with the lens:-
I recently bought a Loxia 2.4/25 E for my Sony A7III. My question is regarding difficulty fitting and removing it from the camera. Presumably due to the blue weather seal, engaging the lens fully in the mount needs considerable pressure to be applied (this also applies to its removal). However, as the front plain part of the barrel and the grooved focus grip are one-piece there no areas where one can really grip to apply the necessary torque. Surely the plain part of the barrel forward of the focus section should be fixed, giving an area to enable fit/removal without applying strain on the focusing stops/limits?
Anybody else with this lens?

View attachment 140302

KeithDM

Thanks! :thumbup: That looks to be just what is needed - why couldn't Zeiss apply a ridged or grooved section there instead of causing such a problem?! It will be interesting to see what (if any) response I receive from Zeiss.

KeithDM

Maybe I should send Zeiss the bill for the €10.80 / £9.60 that I have just spent... ;)

Thanks again for the link.

KeithDM

The reply I have received this afternoon from Zeiss CS:-
Thanks for your inquiry.
Yes, you can grip the Loxia lenses on the fixed ring between focusing ring and aperture ring to attach/detach it . Alternatively, you can also hold them on the focusing ring (and turn it to its hard stop) to mount it to the camera.
To make the Loxia lenses as compact as possible, this barrel design was chosen for them.
Acknowledging their quick response, I replied:-
Thank you for the reply and the confirmation that it is acceptable to turn the lens against the focus hard-stops (which was my main concern).

They replied:-
Thanks for your reply.
As long as you handle the lens carefully like any optical precision product, it is no problem to mount/unmount it with the hands on the focusing ring.
Which is all good to know, but nevertheless i will fit the pocketPANO Lens Grip when it arrives (already on its way to me).

KeithDM

The pocket-PANO Lens Grip (ordered from Germany on Thursday) arrived this morning (Saturday). It took just a minute or two to fit and will certainly make fitting/removing the lens much easier as well as avoiding turning against the focus hard-stops (not something I like doing despite what Zeiss have said). Kudos to pocket-PANO for their excellent product & quick service. :clap: