The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tamron FE Plans

iiiNelson

How far we Sony users have come in a few short years. Seems like every week there are interesting new lenses being announced. And something in nearly every price range too!

I'm very anxious to give the 70-180mm a go.
Very true. Sony has benefitted greatly from many of their strategic decisions to include having an open (yet proprietary) lens mount protocol, going all in on FF Mirrorless early on, and having huge commercial success.

ggibson

$350 price point is awesome for these primes!

The 20/2.8 is interesting to me for travel. Though I'm pleased with the Tamron 17-28 for now. Great lens.

I'm curious about the 70-180 also. I currently have a Batis 85 and CV 180/4 to cover this range, but might consider replacing them with a single zoom. The bokeh performance will have to be better than their 28-75 though; that lens has a very busy look. It will matter a lot more with longer focal lengths in the telephoto zoom.

iiiNelson

$350 price point is awesome for these primes!

The 20/2.8 is interesting to me for travel. Though I'm pleased with the Tamron 17-28 for now. Great lens.

I'm curious about the 70-180 also. I currently have a Batis 85 and CV 180/4 to cover this range, but might consider replacing them with a single zoom. The bokeh performance will have to be better than their 28-75 though; that lens has a very busy look. It will matter a lot more with longer focal lengths in the telephoto zoom.
Yeah I’m looking at the 70-180 lens to essentially replace my 85 Batis and the Sony 135/1.8 A-mount essentially.

Pradeep

For all of us Sony users, this is welcome news. The more competition there is, the more choices we have and the product keeps getting better. Remember the frustration from only a few years ago when there were just a few lenses. The good thing even then was the ability to use 3rd party stuff with adapters. Had the Canon gear left over which was great to try.

I honestly feel Sony is gradually increasing its market share and may even become the leader in a few years.

iiiNelson

For all of us Sony users, this is welcome news. The more competition there is, the more choices we have and the product keeps getting better. Remember the frustration from only a few years ago when there were just a few lenses. The good thing even then was the ability to use 3rd party stuff with adapters. Had the Canon gear left over which was great to try.

I honestly feel Sony is gradually increasing its market share and may even become the leader in a few years.
I believe they already are the market leader in FF sales.

iiiNelson

iiiNelson

So one of the overlooked things I discovered today in my first real time shooting with the 17-28/2.8 is its value as a walk around wide angle zoom for street/travel photography. I think a lot of people judge the lens based on landscape use (spoiler alert there’s some software correctable distortion present) and its use for event photography. While it’s capable IMO of all of these things it’s a pleasant surprise in some other use cases. Obviously it’s missing the 35mm side of things but when paired with a lens in the 50mm (or 55mm in my case) range of things (or the 28-75 like Tamron wants people to do) it’s quite a combo.

carolyaya

I recently sold Sony 16-35mm f4 and bought Tamron 17-28mm f2.8 to decrease size and weight and added benefit of 2.8 f stop. Used it for landscape recently and am pleased so far.

iiiNelson

I recently sold Sony 16-35mm f4 and bought Tamron 17-28mm f2.8 to decrease size and weight and added benefit of 2.8 f stop. Used it for landscape recently and am pleased so far.
I’m in Greece until Saturday night and have backed up some photos to my Gnarbox 2.0 SSD and viewed on my iPad Pro. I’m impressed with both Tamron pair so far without even doing any edits to the shots at all. Color wise the coatings on the Tamron lenses render slightly warmer and with a very slight yellow tint comparable to Sony lens coatings which render more neutral with a extremely slight cool/blue tint. I’m definitely will be buying the 70-180 ASAP.

carolyaya

Looks like Tamron is following up their 28-75/2.8 and 17-28/2.8 withba telephoto zoom next. Depending on price it looks like people will be able to obtain a trio of lenses for about the price of a G-Master zoom. Excellent options at more reasonable prices for those that can’t really obtain a full kit of Sony’s premium lenses.

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/tamron-confirmed-at-telephoto-fe-zoom-is-arriving-soon/
I'm interested in the upcoming Tamron telephoto zoom to see how it might perform as a portrait lens. Would be lighter and smaller than typical 70-200 f2.8.

carolyaya

I’m in Greece until Saturday night and have backed up some photos to my Gnarbox 2.0 SSD and viewed on my iPad Pro. I’m impressed with both Tamron pair so far without even doing any edits to the shots at all. Color wise the coatings on the Tamron lenses render slightly warmer and with a very slight yellow tint comparable to Sony lens coatings which render more neutral with a extremely slight cool/blue tint. I’m definitely will be buying the 70-180 ASAP.
I may be interested in that lens also.

iiiNelson

I'm interested in the upcoming Tamron telephoto zoom to see how it might perform as a portrait lens. Would be lighter and smaller than typical 70-200 f2.8.
When I first bought into the Sony system I used some old Zeiss Contax Yashica telephoto lenses to cover the long end. My longest lens was the 180/2.8 so I’m well aware that this focal length and aperture will work for me in a zoom form factor. I’m assuming that the Tamron 70-180 will not be an internal focusing design (similar to the 28-75) to keep the size on the smaller size but I also assume that when extended, it won’t protrude too far. If they did find a way to build it at that size and make it internal focusing - well that’ll be an engineering miracle assuming it also performs on the same level as the first two lenses.

KeithDM

Since the summer I have been considering buying the 28-75mm f2.8 RXD as a walk-about lens for my A7III. Generally speaking the price has been around £750. This week I happened to stumble across a special-offer advert in Amateur Photographer magazine by Park Cameras (park cameras.com) offering the lens at £639, quoting the AP advert. Taking the plunger I rang the number designated for the offer (01444 237060) and placed my order - told be told the price was now £629! A short while later a text message informed me it would be delivered on Monday, time to be confirmed. 8.20 this morning I noticed a text message telling me it would be delivered between 8.35 and 9.35 that morning and lo and behold the delivery van pulled up outside at 8.30. Amazing price and service etc!

No, they are not grey imports - I have registered the lens with Tamron for their 5 year warranty.

Now I just need it to stop raining so I can get out and about to put the combination through their paces.