Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: A900/Zeiss Acid Test

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: A900/Zeiss Acid Test

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    A question to those of you with experience from A900 as well as Nikon, the D700 in particular:
    I tried the A900 again today (with the 24-70) for the umpteenth time. Everything about it feels perfect, even slightly better than the Nikons/Fujis that I use every day, except the grip. It feels a bit too thick for me, which makes the camera seem heavier than it really is. Is it me, or is there really a noticeable difference?
    HI Jorgen
    I think the grip feels 'thick' as well, it's odd to start with, but you get used to it fast, and all the other ergonomic features of the camera and menus were such a relief to me that it's easy to forgive the fact that it was made for people with big hands!

Have you taken a CF card with you and taken some shots?
    My dealer thrust one into my hands last October and said 'take it away for the afternoon' . . . I was lost (and so was my Nikon gear).

Just this guy you know

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Jono. To compensate for the thicker grip, the vertical grip is the best ever, with all the controls placed exactly as on the camera. Somebody used their brains there

No, I haven't taken my CF card with me, and I don't need to. I'm rather convinced that the A900 would be the best upgrade for me anyway, at least this side of MF or S2. My only problem is that, realistically, I would have to start more or less with a complete setup, since this would be my work gear. The shopping list looks something like this: A900 plus A700 (backup) plus 24-70 plus 70-300 plus 70-200 plus 135/1.8 plus a macro. That's a lot of gear and a lot of money, but I have to do an upgrade within this year anyway, and the door is definitely open.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea if i had to switch i would go A900 A700, 16-35,24-70 , 138 1.8 and than something long in the 200 range or so. This system though needs to expand with more lenses though and one reason I have not yet jumped on one and money obviously plays a role here. Some fast wide angles and some T/S lenses and a great macro
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Yea if i had to switch i would go A900 A700, 16-35,24-70 , 138 1.8 and than something long in the 200 range or so. This system though needs to expand with more lenses though and one reason I have not yet jumped on one and money obviously plays a role here. Some fast wide angles and some T/S lenses and a great macro
    They need to come up with at least one, preferably two or three T/S lenses rather quickly. One of the reasons for me to move to FF would be access to a wide T/S, and Sony doesn't have one. Then there's the colour of the 70-200. It's white, and I don't like it. When Nikon can make it black, it shouldn't be too much of a problem for Sony either. I like the size and weight though. Much lighter than my 80-200 AF-S.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jorgen and Guy

I bought the A900 with CZ24-70 in January with the idea of using it alongside my R9, DMR and six Leica R lenses. Just one test with similar focal length Leica-v-Zeiss lenses convinced me enough to sell the entire Leica outfit in favour of the A900 outfit!

I have of course now added to the Sony/Zeiss lens collection, flash, grips etc as you do and I do not regret it one little bit.

I was prepared for it to have gone the other way, in which event the Sony would have gone instead of the Leica. Since then my A900 is now a very cherished tool!
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
    I was prepared for it to have gone the other way, in which event the Sony would have gone instead of the Leica. Since then my A900 is now a very cherished tool!
    HI Dave
    I'm sure that there are people who aren't happy with the A900, and, like anything it isn't perfect, but they do seem to have a very high level of user satisfaction.

For me it was like a great sigh of relief.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    They need to come up with at least one, preferably two or three T/S lenses rather quickly. One of the reasons for me to move to FF would be access to a wide T/S, and Sony doesn't have one. Then there's the colour of the 70-200. It's white, and I don't like it. When Nikon can make it black, it shouldn't be too much of a problem for Sony either. I like the size and weight though. Much lighter than my 80-200 AF-S.
    Agreed on the T/S. Hopefully that will come, but I worry not, as Sony seems to brand this as a "near-pro" offering in some ways rather than a "full-pro" offering. We'll see if that shifts (pun not intended) as more working pros adopt the a900 for their work.

Re: color. I initially had the same thought, "yuck, white/silver." It is definitely more silver than white (at least on the 70-400 lens which I just added to the stable, I don't own the 70-200, 2.8 yet), but the color seems fine and actually, I think it is Sony's attempt to 'brand' itself like Canon with the white lenses so that people differentiate Sony lenses from other brands. In essence, it makes sense. And, as someone else on another forum said, "I don't see the color of the lens when I'm looking through the viewfinder."

-Josh

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Josh,
    The 70-200 is white... very white, not at all like the 70-400. I also suspect that it's a question of branding, but don't you think that those who care about things like that would confuse it with Canon?

I agree that I don't see the colour of the lens through the viewfinder, but to me, it's more a question about how the surroundings see me. I live in a part of the world, and often visit locations, where being discreet is important. Showing off with a big, white lens is simply not something that I would like to do under those circumstances.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Minolta was actually one of the first to use white lenses, and the Sony 70-200 and 300 2.8 are simply rebadged versions of the Minoltas. It seems that these will be the last two white lenses that we see, as Sony appears to have decided on silver for their newer telephotos. FWIW, the Sony white is a bit grey-white, whereas Canon's is more cream-white.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    Minolta was actually one of the first to use white lenses, and the Sony 70-200 and 300 2.8 are simply rebadged versions of the Minoltas. It seems that these will be the last two white lenses that we see, as Sony appears to have decided on silver for their newer telephotos. FWIW, the Sony white is a bit grey-white, whereas Canon's is more cream-white.
    You are right, of course. There you see how fast us old people forget...

It probably doesn't matter what colour it is. I probably won't remember where I've left the lens anyway, and if I do, I can't see it, since my glasses are.... where

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ha! I'm starting to come to terms with my vision starting to go south. It's driving me nuts, because I don't want to deal with contacts, but I also don't prefer shooting with glasses on. Soon, the A900 will be seeing better than I do, and you guys will have to tell me which raw converter does a better job

Post Thanks / Like

Tell me about it!, I've got a +3 diopter in the viewfinder and it works quite well. I can still see the whole frame. The quick function menu is pretty cool also, magnifies nicely with a push of the Disp button. Who need glasses now,
    A7II, FE 35, 55 C/Y 18, 28, 85, 100, 28-85

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've got used to the eyes thing now. Mine suddenly went when I was 38, after perfect vision for all those years

I've used glasses, dioptres in viewfinders etc. etc. Nowadays I wear disposable contacts, 1.75 in my right eye (to look through the viewfinder at the world) and 2.5 in my left (so that I can read the controls). I think it's much better than varifocals, and it really is no effort, I stick 'em in when I wake up, and throw 'em away when I go to bed, in the meantime I can see pretty well.

Only thing it's bad for is driving at night.

If you haven't tried it, it's worth giving it a go.

Just this guy you know

William Curtindale

Hello to everybody, I am an A900 user and new to this forum (my first post on this forum - hope I'm not breaking any rules). A friend pointed me to this thread started by Marc because of the interest in the A900. I appreciate and have enjoyed reading the comments from other users about the A900. Impressions and things learned by others are always helpful to me. I will note when purchasing my A900 I was looking for a high quality camera with good resolution (and A mount). I wanted a basic foundation camera (no pop-up flash, live view or video). I come from many years of using a many Hasselblads and a Wista 4x5 RF (no bells and whistles on those cameras). I usually shoot my A900 in manual mode. I also use a Metz 70-MZ5 and HVL-F58AM as well as my old stand by Metz 60-CT4 flash units with the A900. I am a retired engineer and have been in photography for over forty years. I have done many weddings over the years but prefer to leave that work to the real pros (although I did two weddings last year and have two scheduled this year). I prefer to shoot for my own personal enjoyment (family, friends, scenery, BIF, etc). I have been browsing this site to see what others have to say and what they are doing. I probably have not mastered navigating the site yet but have enjoyed what I have found so far. So if I post anything inappropriately, please be quick and swift to set me straight. I am located in Ann Arbor, Michigan. I have a web site at http://wdcgraphic.com and post most of my fun and very casual stuff on Picasa at http://picasaweb.google.com/BillCurtindale

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by William Curtindale View Post
    Hello to everybody, I am an A900 user and new to this forum (my first post on this forum - hope I'm not breaking any rules). A friend pointed me to this thread started by Marc because of the interest in the A900. I appreciate and have enjoyed reading the comments from other users about the A900. Impressions and things learned by others are always helpful to me. I will note when purchasing my A900 I was looking for a high quality camera with good resolution (and A mount). I wanted a basic foundation camera (no pop-up flash, live view or video). I come from many years of using a many Hasselblads and a Wista 4x5 RF (no bells and whistles on those cameras). I usually shoot my A900 in manual mode. I also use a Metz 70-MZ5 and HVL-F58AM as well as my old stand by Metz 60-CT4 flash units with the A900. I am a retired engineer and have been in photography for over forty years. I have done many weddings over the years but prefer to leave that work to the real pros (although I did two weddings last year and have two scheduled this year). I prefer to shoot for my own personal enjoyment (family, friends, scenery, BIF, etc). I have been browsing this site to see what others have to say and what they are doing. I probably have not mastered navigating the site yet but have enjoyed what I have found so far. So if I post anything inappropriately, please be quick and swift to set me straight. I am located in Ann Arbor, Michigan. I have a web site at http://wdcgraphic.com and post most of my fun and very casual stuff on Picasa at http://picasaweb.google.com/BillCurtindale
    Hi William ... welcome to the Sony club here on Get DPI ... the folks here are really helpful.

We are neighbors ... I live in Franklin, Michigan about 40 minutes from Ann Arbor. In fact I have two wedding shoots near you this summer. Private Message me if you want to get together sometime and compare notes on the A900.

William Curtindale

A900 focus modes (Wide, Spot, Local)). For much of my shooting I was using the Wide focus mode but found I wanted to switch to Spot for accuracy and selectively focusing on a specific area of the subject. I was using the menu to switch between Wide and Spot (waste of time and missed shoots).

I found I can leave the focus mode set to the Wide mode and by pressing the center control with my thumb I can switch to Spot and still use my index finger to press the shutter at the same time. When releasing my thumb from the center control the focus reverts back to Wide (I get the best of both focus modes).

I will be doing some work tomorrow where the Wide focus will be my default setting but I will use the above technique when requiring an accurate Spot mode. I think this technique will result in capturing those quick / spontaneous selectively focused shots that just don't work in Wide focus mode. Hope this is helpful to others. If you haven't already done it, just set to Wide focus mode and press the center control and watch the rear LCD and you will see it switch to Spot focus mode (this neat and convenient and saves time).